1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Building a console vault

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by cvillechopper, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Sep 22, 2009 at 2:45 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft

From the looks it's bolted to the truck so it can't be lifted out of the console which means the walls of the console prevent you from pulling the pin out. Unless you move the seat enough to drill a hole to pull the pin out through.

2. Sep 22, 2009 at 2:54 PM
    bigburrito

bigburrito Local Man

Member:
    DuPage County
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD OR
    Demello sliders, fog lights anytime, 265/75R16 Duratracs, 60" HiLift, VIAIR OBA 2.5 gallon tank, FM Super 44, TSB springs, 5100s at .85, bent tailgate
    yes its bolted in- but im thinking the average crowbar used for a smash and grab would easily rip through/crack the plastic console enough to get at that hinge rod.

a simple fix would be just to weld a little tab in front of the rod to prevent its removal.
    or just weld the head of the rod to the hinge. it would still rotate just fine.

3. Sep 22, 2009 at 4:30 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    The average crowbar would also snap the lock used to secure the lid. It's not bullet proof, it's just to deter people.

4. Sep 22, 2009 at 5:42 PM
    cvillechopper

cvillechopper [OP] Jackass to the masses

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD Off-Rd 4x4, Roof Rack, Tube Steps
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    The console is tougher than you think. You'd be able to crack it but it would take you more than what I've heard is the average 2 minutes for a smash and grab to crack the console enough to get at the lid in order to pry it open. There's no leverage on the lid without breaking the console. I've also thought about peening the hinge rod to make it very difficult to remove without spending quite a few minutes.

Of course someone with a drill could just bust the lock but that's not in the basic smash-and-grab tool kit. Like PT said, it's more to deter but would take some real effort to get in there. I'm looking to replace the lock with something stronger at some point and I'll update the thread when I do.

If anyone is in the area and wants to come over one weekend for some mod work I'd be happy to help build another. Got the tools might as well put them to use. You just supply the material and some thirst quenchers...

5. Sep 23, 2009 at 9:30 AM
    cvillechopper

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    I just noticed that I got negative feedback for the second time on this thread... Of course there's no name attached but really... negative feedback for posting a how-to? I'm not whoring for rep, just wondering what would give someone cause to post negative rep.

Sorry but I just had to vent the frustration at some silly person that has a problem with my build but doesn't have the stones to say who they are.

*Rant off*

Thanks to those that gave me positive rep for the build.

stephenw13 likes this.
  6. Sep 23, 2009 at 10:03 AM
    bigburrito

bigburrito Local Man

Member:
    DuPage County
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD OR
    Demello sliders, fog lights anytime, 265/75R16 Duratracs, 60" HiLift, VIAIR OBA 2.5 gallon tank, FM Super 44, TSB springs, 5100s at .85, bent tailgate
    i wanted to chime in here and say it wasnt me who gave you negative feedback.
    im just thowing out possible improvements on an already good idea. im somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to things like this, so the little details pop out at me. kudos to you for a job well done. just secure that hinge so i can sleep at night!

7. Sep 23, 2009 at 11:01 AM
    NraFan

NraFan Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    Looks good. It was looking a little rough there for a bit. That carpet really finished it off nicely. Great write up.

8. Sep 23, 2009 at 11:19 AM
    cvillechopper

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    I wasn't thinking it was you. Just kinda wondering why. You are absolutely right about the hinge. Plans are in the making for a solution. Probably just pull the box out and cross-point-pound the end (better known as peening) so it can't be pulled out without taking the entire box out and beating the living hell out of it.

Either that or just weld a few "tabs" on the end...

9. Sep 23, 2009 at 8:21 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    It was me. I gave you neg rep because you don't live close enough to me to make me one.

10. Sep 24, 2009 at 3:39 AM
    cvillechopper

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:

:D

11. Oct 21, 2009 at 1:21 PM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod

Nice Kahr!!

12. Oct 22, 2009 at 3:58 AM
    cvillechopper

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. That's my carry piece. The box easily fits that, my Glock 19, extra mags, and my check book when I have to stop somewhere I can't carry on the way to the range. Look a little tight but works.

13. Oct 22, 2009 at 4:24 AM
    DCWeaver

DCWeaver Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Anniston, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Sport
    Shrockworks full front bumper replacement, Mile Marker winch, bug deflector, vent shades, black tube steps, UWS black tool box, limmo tint, TRD seat covers, Tacoma rubber floor mats under Husky Liners, CB radio/PA system, Kenwood DNX5120 DVD, Nav., Bluetooth, removed all four mud flaps
    Very cool!

14. Feb 2, 2010 at 10:28 AM
    Tyler09tacoma

Tyler09tacoma Member

Member:
    McMinnville,Tn
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    do you think you could give the demintions of this box? it is really nice and i would like to make one, plus i just got a new welder and i am wanting to try it out.

15. Feb 2, 2010 at 10:46 AM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    Cool idea. Nice work and write up

16. Feb 2, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    cvillechopper

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    I can't really pull it out without messing up the stuff I put around the sides to fill in the gaps. Best bet is to make a cardboard template to fit, then cut your metal pieces. I can try to measure the inside dimensions but it would be difficult to get it to fit using that (I think).

Also, I realized a few days ago that the rear seats have metal hoops that could be used to lock the seats down with some sort of locking mechanism. Might be looking into that and starting another build thread if it materializes.

Good luck.

17. Mar 6, 2010 at 1:04 PM
    kyrac1978

kyrac1978 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunnellon, FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Tacoma 4.0L
    Why not make a few to sell? They are going for around $250.00 plus tax/shipping on Ebay and if you can make $50 - $75 I would go for it. You could probably even custom the height somewhat if someone wanted it?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  18. Mar 7, 2010 at 5:32 AM
    cvillechopper

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    With our first little one due in July I've got way too many projects to take care of before then so I don't think the wife would like me playing in the shed for hours every weekend... That and if I were to start selling them I'd have to deal with patent issues from the company that makes the ones you see for sale on e-bay. Not interested in the hassle.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  19. Mar 16, 2010 at 11:17 AM
    glandnut

glandnut Reserve Squirrel Hair

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    16' 4Runner TEP, 01' Ext cab 4x4
    secret stuff.
  20. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:29 PM
    Trigger

Trigger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great write up. Great idea. Great execution. Awesome job man I love it. Nice peice by the way.

Products Discussed in

To Top