Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade - Other

Notices

Verizon unlimited data grandfathered plan

Old 06-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
Licensed Lunatic
iamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
iamsuperbleeder's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Verizon unlimited data grandfathered plan

I want to see if there's any interest in a grandfathered in Verizon unlimited data plan here for TW members. I originally started the service with an HTC Thunderbolt about 3 weeks before Verizon canned the unlimited data plans completely. A little while back I purchased an LG Lucid since it has a little better specs than the Thunderbolt and it's been doing good since. I've never had an issue with Verizon and their service, I'm just looking for a less expensive phone option; will be downgrading on service but I don't really need all the features this plan has to offer anymore anyway...

I've only just began reading up on the transfer of the account into someone else's name, but from what I understand Verizon has to run a credit check and so on for the transfer to take place, but I'm not sure if I need to provide you with my sim card or what? I will be looking more into it over the next few days, maybe talk to a Verizon rep at a store about the process.

If a phone is needed too, I'll also have the HTC Thunderbolt or the LG Lucid if wanted. Maybe $50 for the Lucid or $25 for the Thunderbolt. Both are rooted, but I'll restore either back to stock state before shipment. If one of them is wanted with the plan I'll get some photos of either just let me know; both are in pretty good shape.

As you can see below, I use the heck out of the data, since the Lucid is rooted I use it for tethering, but I won't be needing to do so anymore, hence why I wanting to get rid of the contract.

I see these on eBay going for $150 and up just for the change over of contract, I'd be willing to let a TW member assume the responsibility of the contract for $100. This plan cost me about $115 a month after taxes and fees, but $5 of that is a Slacker Radio upgrade which I'll be removing from the line this week. On the line is just 450 anytime minutes (since I didn't really talk on the phone much) and unlimited text, the 2 year contract is up and the line is strictly month to month as of now, so the contract can be cancelled at any time without a fee, but once it's gone it's just one more unlimited data contract taken off Verizon's market...

I won't be getting a new phone until next week, so if this is claimed keep that in mine, wont be able to make the transfer until next weekend.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think Verizon is going to let you transfer that to a new billing address/account.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
I don't think Verizon is going to let you transfer that to a new billing address/account.
X2

We've been Verizon customers for years and years with unlimited plans. My husband and I upgraded from iphone 4 to iphone 5's this past Christmas.....and they WOULD NOT allow us to keep the unlimited plan. Same address, same name...same everything. No go on the unlimited plan.....The only way we could keep the unlimited plan, was if we bought our new phones at full retail cost ($700 for iphone?) or keep our current phones.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
X2

We've been Verizon customers for years and years with unlimited plans. My husband and I upgraded from iphone 4 to iphone 5's this past Christmas.....and they WOULD NOT allow us to keep the unlimited plan. Same address, same name...same everything. No go on the unlimited plan.....The only way we could keep the unlimited plan, was if we bought our new phones at full retail cost ($700 for iphone?) or keep our current phones.
I think that may have had something to do with going from 3g (iphone 4) to 4g (iphone 5) at least i remember reading that somewhere.
If you have an existing unlimited 4g account and buy the phone full price without upgrade you can keep unlimited. A guy at my work just got an s4 full price and kept his unlimited 4g
Old 06-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
Licensed Lunatic
iamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I know more than one person that's done it before. I forget the exact terminology that's used for the process, but it basically turns over the account so the other person assumes responsibility of it. Upgrading a device on the line DOES get rid of the unlimited data because you're renewing the account in the process. As long as the account is not changed, the unlimited data stays active. Actually I believe the account can be modified as far as changing minute and text limits, but as long as the data plan isn't messed with or the service isn't renewed with a device upgrade, the unlimited data is still there. That's the reason I purchased the LG Lucid as a used device and NOT from Verizon; had I have gotten it through Verizon for the account, the service would have renewed and the unlimited data would have gone away. You can put any 4G Verizon phone on this plan but you have to purchase the phone outright at full price or used off eBay or a forum, stick the 4G sim card in it, and away you go. That's why I'm also offering the two phones cheap in case someone doesn't already have a device and just needs one to get started with the service.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
909tacoma is on a distinguished road
909tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Verizon will allow a person to transfer a line to another person. You can't upgrade a phone line and keep unlimited data.

I have four lines total
2 smartphones and 2 regular phones. I upgrade the regular phones to smartphones then have the new smartphones switched over to my unlimited data lines and reactivate the old regular phones to the same lines. Sounds confusing but it's the loophole to keeping unlimited data and getting new phone at a subsidized price.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
I may be interested. Maybe..
Old 06-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
Licensed Lunatic

You're first in line if you are, at this point. Keep in mind this is a single line plane, not a family share plan. Just a head's up.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
Sold mine last week on Craigslist, this exact plan 450min, UL text, UL data for $275.

Person even bought my Galaxy S3 for $300.

GL, I'd raise the price and slap it on Ebay
Old 06-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch
SDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud of

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
Wow glad i found this thread good read. So i have unlimited data on my main phone (family plan) which is month to month but my droid x is in need of upgrade.
So i can buy a used personal phone and just have it switch in? And go from 3g to 4g that way?
Old 06-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
Licensed Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSam View Post
Wow glad i found this thread good read. So i have unlimited data on my main phone (family plan) which is month to month but my droid x is in need of upgrade.
So i can buy a used personal phone and just have it switch in? And go from 3g to 4g that way?
4G requires a sim card unlike the 3G phones. I'm not so sure one would be able to make the switch from 3G to 4G without modifying and updating the plan, which would then kill the unlimited data. This line I have is a 4G line, have a sim card for it as well.

If you already have a grandfathered unlimited data plan with a 4G phone and sim card, you can buy all the 4G phones you want and throw the sim card in it and carry on. I've even put the 4G sim card in a 4G mobile wifi hot spot once and it works
Old 06-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
Question

Yes you can bring ur own phone and go from 3G to 4g and still keep your unlimited data. I have done it on three phones so far.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I just did it with my brother... He lives in another state...
Old 06-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #14
Licensed Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909tacoma View Post
Yes you can bring ur own phone and go from 3G to 4g and still keep your unlimited data. I have done it on three phones so far.
good to know, thank you

if nothing happens by this weekend I'll be putting an ad on Craigslist. a local deal would be preferred
Old 06-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #15
Quote:
Not only will they let you they almost encourage it... I have been told multiple times my Verizon reps that I can transfer...
Old 06-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #16
Licensed Lunatic

just found this as well, if anyone's curious about the process

http://support.verizonwireless.com/c...ml?faq=2&grp=3
Old 07-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #17
Vidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement: Federal
Name: Alex
Vidmon88's Tacoma Gallery
still availiable?
Old 07-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #18
Licensed Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidmon88 View Post
still availiable?
it is, on eBay now sir

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151075344004...84.m1586.l2649
Old 07-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #19
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Aren't they throttleing heavy users .
Old 07-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #20
Licensed Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Aren't they throttleing heavy users .
not on 4G LTE, 3G yes