Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade

Notices

WTB or WTT: 09+ rear view mirror w/ screen

Old 07-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
WTB or WTT: 09+ rear view mirror w/ screen

have all the other parts for my backup camera retro, just need an OEM or Gentex rear view mirror w/ built in screen!

hook me up if you have one or a line for one at a good price, or if it annoys you, i'll trade my manual mirror plus cash for your mirror w/ screen!
Old 07-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
jabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of light

jabrackin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jabrackin
I did this MOD on my 2008 Tacoma... It looks OEM as well.....
Old 07-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^ great, good to know it had been done. do you have any posts or writeups? seems pretty easy, just power, ground, video, shield coming from the camera right. i got the harness that goes to the OEM mirror as well...havent quite got all the pinouts nailed down, but im guessing its just a few videos and some power/ground no?

any help on how you got it working would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
RAD@RECHELON/AESTHETICS
RAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RAD
RAD's Tacoma Gallery
^ Good Luck with this Mod!

JBrackin had a shop custom make the long wire needed to connect the camera. It would be easy for you since youre very comfortable with working with wires. I simply gave up as I have a Pioneer Head Unit that I could just buy the Back Up Cam for a lot cheaper.

Good Luck man as I'll hunt down a rear view mirror for you.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:57 AM   #5
Taco Fever - I've got it bad!
billyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
billyjoe's Tacoma Gallery
Yosh,

Did this mod about 6 months ago. Bought a new Gentex mirror with a 3.5" display (50-GENK352TAC3) on eBay for $340 - big improvement on OEM 2.5" version. The vendor included a Toyota Connector Adapter & cable cover as well. Made & installed my own harness between Mirror & OEM Camera.

Here's the link for the vendor:
http://www.brandnewauto.com/AUTO-DIM...-p6053608.html

Make sure to enter "5OFF" promo code to get discounted price ($340).
BTW, I have wiring info too if you need it...
Old 07-15-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
rjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Riley
rjclemen's Tacoma Gallery
I might be willing to trade my Gentex Mirror with the 2.5 display. Send me a PM with a picture of the stock mirror and how much cash you willing to toss in to sweeten the deal.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #7

^ PM sent, please let me know either way, thanks dude.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:16 PM   #8
Taco Fever - I've got it bad!
billyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
billyjoe's Tacoma Gallery
Yosh,

Attached doc contains wiring info (connectors, pin-outs, etc). I elected to install the 2009+ version of the Tacoma mirror connector (I8) so I could simply plug-in the Toyota Tacoma adapter provided by the mirror vendor. Also, this makes it easy to change out in the future. Good Luck on your mod! Just let me know if you have any further questions...
Attached Files
File Type: txt TacomaMirror.txt (5.3 KB, 519 views)
Old 07-18-2010, 12:55 AM   #9

^ you are the man!! as soon as i find a mirror, im going to hook it all up. i'll contact you if i have any further questions, thanks again!
Old 07-26-2010, 06:51 AM   #10
Rickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force: Pilot
Name: Rick
Rickochet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjoe View Post
Yosh,
Did this mod about 6 months ago. Bought a new Gentex mirror with a 3.5" display (50-GENK352TAC3) on eBay for $340 - big improvement on OEM 2.5" version. The vendor included a Toyota Connector Adapter & cable cover as well. Made & installed my own harness between Mirror & OEM Camera.

Here's the link for the vendor:
http://www.brandnewauto.com/AUTO-DIM...-p6053608.html

Make sure to enter "5OFF" promo code to get discounted price ($340).
BTW, I have wiring info too if you need it...
Thanks for the link. I just ordered one and the discount code still works. Shipping is free also. Type in GENKTAC3 in the search code and it will take you to the Taco mirror with adapter.

Edited: I ordered the mirror on Monday and it was at my house on Weds.. Be advised it was sent Fedex signature required. If sig required is an issue have it sent to the nearest Fedex facility for pickup. You may need to call the Fedex facility to get their shipping addy.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #11

thanks again billyjoe...i placed my order as well! mom made me $120 selling old clothes this weekend at her garage sale, so it pushed me over the edge to get it! install will hopefully happen this weekend pending i get it in time. i will wire the tailgate to the OEM harness i got so if the mirror doesnt get here by this weekend, everything will be set up to simply pop in!
Old 09-15-2010, 06:07 PM   #12
petyanca is on a distinguished road
petyanca's Tacoma Gallery
Got a mirror but don't have adapter

I also went ahead and bought one, but it seems it is a pure factory with a 20' harness and no adapter. Does anyone know where can I get a Tacoma adapter for this mirror ?

P.S. The brandnewauto seems to not sell specific GENK352TAC models right now.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:57 AM   #13
Rickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by petyanca View Post
P.S. The brandnewauto seems to not sell specific GENK352TAC models right now.
Hmmm. I just bought one from brandnewauto a few months ago. I would give Gentex a call and see if they can hook you up. I remember someone posting about having the mirror but not the Taco adapter and Gentex sent them one for free.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Hmmm. I just bought one from brandnewauto a few months ago. I would give Gentex a call and see if they can hook you up. I remember someone posting about having the mirror but not the Taco adapter and Gentex sent them one for free.
Thanks for the advice, I'll try it, but it seems like a long shot. Now brandnewauto wants $60 for the adapter alone.
I'm considering making a wire adapter myself. Can you possibly tell me by looking at your adapter which wires from the headliner connector get connected with which pins in the connector to the mirror ? I may just use the connector from the 20' harness which came with the mirror and rig something up to connect them to the right wires from the headliner harness.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #15
This space intentionally left blank.
Boring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Discharged honorably many years ago.
Boring's Tacoma Gallery
I always see them advertising on Toyota Nation.
http://store.blendmount.com/rear-cam...splay-c97.aspx
Seems to be a bit more expensive than the Ebay selling. I remembered them being cheaper.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boring View Post
I always see them advertising on Toyota Nation.
http://store.blendmount.com/rear-cam...splay-c97.aspx
Seems to be a bit more expensive than the Ebay selling. I remembered them being cheaper.
Yeah yeah, I should have known better. I got the mirror - now is the fun part - make it work ..
Old 09-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjoe View Post
Yosh,

Attached doc contains wiring info (connectors, pin-outs, etc). I elected to install the 2009+ version of the Tacoma mirror connector (I8) so I could simply plug-in the Toyota Tacoma adapter provided by the mirror vendor. Also, this makes it easy to change out in the future. Good Luck on your mod! Just let me know if you have any further questions...
Thats great I found this file, thanks. One question - what did you use to supply 6V to the camera ?
Old 09-17-2010, 05:03 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by petyanca View Post
Thanks for the advice, I'll try it, but it seems like a long shot. Now brandnewauto wants $60 for the adapter alone.
I'm considering making a wire adapter myself. Can you possibly tell me by looking at your adapter which wires from the headliner connector get connected with which pins in the connector to the mirror ? I may just use the connector from the 20' harness which came with the mirror and rig something up to connect them to the right wires from the headliner harness.
$60 for 6" of wire with two plugs is nuts.

Everything is stuffed back under the headliner and plastic wire cover is installed so I can't get to it easily. Perhaps someone who hasn't installed theirs yet can provide the wiring info.

For those who haven't bought one yet I would recommend trying to see one in operation before they pull the trigger. I am sort of disappointed with mine. I got the 3.5" screen and the "fish eye" cam lens really distorts the picture. Things look farther away than they really are. Also the cam can be a bit of a distraction when pulling out of a tight parking spot. I spend more time looking at the mirror instead of watching the vehicles on both sides. About all I use the cam for it for is to make sure my tailgate is up since I have a bed cover. It also keeps me from running over my garbage cans at home.