Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade

Notices

FS: Auburn Gear LSD for 2nd Gen Tacoma

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
cmack [OP] cmack is offline
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
Joined: Jun 2009, #18119
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,912
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
FS: Auburn Gear LSD for 2nd Gen Tacoma

Up for sale is a brand new Auburn Gear LSD (Pro Series) for the rear of a 2nd gen Tacoma. It's never been installed. More information can be found here on it. Asking $275 OBO plus shipping.




  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
Senior Member
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
yosh2000's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2007, #2733
Location: Denver, CO
Gender: Dude
Posts: 2,886
yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
i have been looking for a truetrac locker lately because it doesnt use clutch packs, but how is this alike/different?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
chris4x4's Avatar
Name: FlimFlubberJAM
Joined: May 2008, #6497
Location: Tenoe, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 98,909
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh2000 View Post
i have been looking for a truetrac locker lately because it doesnt use clutch packs, but how is this alike/different?
The Detroit is very similar to a Torsen diff. and uses worm gears. When torque is applied, the gears are pushed out against the case, and power is delivered to the wheel that is slipping.
Though they say the diff doesnt "waer out" like other LS diffs, as it only applies a little amout of pressure to the case, it uses the case as opposed to friction plates (clutch plates), so if/when it does wear out, you have to replace the entire unit, as opposed to replaceing the clutch disks.

The Auburn LS Diff uses a Cone clutch, and wears directly to the case of the diff. The Cones and the case wear, and neither are replaceable.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
cmack [OP] cmack is offline
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
Joined: Jun 2009, #18119
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,912
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The Detroit is very similar to a Torsen diff. and uses worm gears. When torque is applied, the gears are pushed out against the case, and power is delivered to the wheel that is slipping.
Though they say the diff doesnt "waer out" like other LS diffs, as it only applies a little amout of pressure to the case, it uses the case as opposed to friction plates (clutch plates), so if/when it does wear out, you have to replace the entire unit, as opposed to replaceing the clutch disks.

The Auburn LS Diff uses a Cone clutch, and wears directly to the case of the diff. The Cones and the case wear, and neither are replaceable.
Thank you for chiming in on that one
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #7
Taco Rookie
lepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud of
 
lepedog23's Avatar
Name: Frank
Joined: Mar 2010, #34221
Location: Huntington Park
Age: 31
Gender: Dude
Posts: 964
lepedog23's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to lepedog23
whats the difference between this lsd, stock lsd and a trd locker? plus does this fit my 2wd taco non trd? i think i have a 8.4"
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:44 AM   #8
cmack [OP] cmack is offline
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
Joined: Jun 2009, #18119
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,912
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaville View Post
whats the difference between this lsd, stock lsd and a trd locker? plus does this fit my 2wd taco non trd? i think i have a 8.4"
This one is stronger than factory LSD. It locks up stronger from what I understand as well to perform better. It's cheaper than a locker. For a TRD locker, I think you need to pull a complete rear axle form a TRD Offroad packaged tacoma in order to get it. Plus since it's selectable, then you'd need the switch, wiring, etc. An LSD would benefit with traction both on and off the road as well, where as a locker would pretty much benefit offroad. This will fit the rear axle of a 2nd gen tacoma, so yes, it would fit your truck.

The 2nd gens have an 8.0" and the 1st gens have an 8.4". If you want to confirm that, you can check the link I posted in the OP. It's linked to a PDF file directly from Auburn Gear that has the specs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:50 AM   #9
Taco Rookie
lepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud of
 
lepedog23's Avatar
Name: Frank
Joined: Mar 2010, #34221
Location: Huntington Park
Age: 31
Gender: Dude
Posts: 964
lepedog23's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to lepedog23
so a lsd with the auburn gear lsd will work better than a trd elocker? cuz i found a rear axle with elocker for 500 locally....
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:54 AM   #10
cmack [OP] cmack is offline
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
Joined: Jun 2009, #18119
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,912
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaville View Post
so a lsd with the auburn gear lsd will work better than a trd elocker? cuz i found a rear axle with elocker for 500 locally....
Depends on your uses. It would be a cheaper route to go with the Auburn Gear LSD. SO really, depending on what you use your truck for, depends on which one would benefit you more. It'd be a lot more work to swap a rear axle compared to installing an aftermarket LSD too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:56 AM   #11
.....
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
ColtsTRD's Avatar
Name: Scott
Joined: May 2009, #17177
Location: AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,993
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaville View Post
so a lsd with the auburn gear lsd will work better than a trd elocker? cuz i found a rear axle with elocker for 500 locally....
add another $500+ to have that installed...not to mention all the electrical stuff to have it be a true e-locker...plus this is brand new (never installed and in the original box)
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:09 AM   #12
Taco Rookie
lepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud of
 
lepedog23's Avatar
Name: Frank
Joined: Mar 2010, #34221
Location: Huntington Park
Age: 31
Gender: Dude
Posts: 964
lepedog23's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to lepedog23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Depends on your uses. It would be a cheaper route to go with the Auburn Gear LSD. SO really, depending on what you use your truck for, depends on which one would benefit you more. It'd be a lot more work to swap a rear axle compared to installing an aftermarket LSD too.

im going to try and make my taco into a desert runner in the future...
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:13 AM   #13
.....
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
ColtsTRD's Avatar
Name: Scott
Joined: May 2009, #17177
Location: AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,993
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaville View Post
im going to try and make my taco into a desert runner in the future...
Than a Full Locker would best fit your application for that bud
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:19 AM   #14
cmack [OP] cmack is offline
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
Joined: Jun 2009, #18119
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,912
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaville View Post
im going to try and make my taco into a desert runner in the future...
In all honesty too, I'm not sure how a TRD rear axle would match up compared to the base model one. I just don't know that much about that kind of axle swap. Now if you were talking about a SAS, then I'd know all kinds of info for ya
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:21 AM   #15
.....
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
ColtsTRD's Avatar
Name: Scott
Joined: May 2009, #17177
Location: AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,993
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Now if you were talking about a SAS, then I'd know all kinds of info for ya
Good, than chime in on this
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ront-swap.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:02 AM   #16
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
98tacoma27's Avatar
Marines:
Name: Ben
Joined: Dec 2008, #11714
Location: Beech Creek
Gender: Dude
Posts: 48,265
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
:thinking:
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #17
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
chris4x4's Avatar
Name: FlimFlubberJAM
Joined: May 2008, #6497
Location: Tenoe, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 98,909
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
This one is stronger than factory LSD. It locks up stronger from what I understand as well to perform better. It's cheaper than a locker. For a TRD locker, I think you need to pull a complete rear axle form a TRD Offroad packaged tacoma in order to get it. Plus since it's selectable, then you'd need the switch, wiring, etc. An LSD would benefit with traction both on and off the road as well, where as a locker would pretty much benefit offroad. This will fit the rear axle of a 2nd gen tacoma, so yes, it would fit your truck.

The 2nd gens have an 8.0" and the 1st gens have an 8.4". If you want to confirm that, you can check the link I posted in the OP. It's linked to a PDF file directly from Auburn Gear that has the specs.

To clarify:
This unit isnt any "stronger" then the OEM LS Diff. It will "lock up" stronger than the OEM LS Diff.

Both the first and second genss use the same rear ring gear size, just the second gens are wider. Non TRD off road models use a "8.4" " housing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #18
cmack [OP] cmack is offline
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
Joined: Jun 2009, #18119
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,912
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
To clarify:
This unit isnt any "stronger" then the OEM LS Diff. It will "lock up" stronger than the OEM LS Diff.

Both the first and second genss use the same rear ring gear size, just the second gens are wider. Non TRD off road models use a "8.4" " housing.
Thanks for clarifying.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #19
I am so there
thom is a splendid one to beholdthom is a splendid one to beholdthom is a splendid one to beholdthom is a splendid one to beholdthom is a splendid one to beholdthom is a splendid one to beholdthom is a splendid one to behold
 
thom's Avatar
Name: Thom
Joined: Jun 2010, #38624
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 42
thom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Up for sale is a brand new Auburn Gear LSD (Pro Series) for the rear of a 2nd gen Tacoma. It's never been installed. More information can be found here on it. Asking $300 OBO plus shipping.
I'll vouch for the brand new part. Connor hasn't had it long enough to install it in anything! And he is selling it at a good discount, compared to some, http://www.shelbysautostorm.com/servlet/the-Auburn-Gear-Differentials/Categories.

BTW, who ever does buy it might have a slight advantage is we do another photo swap
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #20
cmack [OP] cmack is offline
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
Joined: Jun 2009, #18119
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,912
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
I'll vouch for the brand new part. Connor hasn't had it long enough to install it in anything! And he is selling it at a good discount, compared to some, http://www.shelbysautostorm.com/servlet/the-Auburn-Gear-Differentials/Categories.

BTW, who ever does buy it might have a slight advantage is we do another photo swap
Thanks Thom. The original plans for the diff changed slightly Will shoot you an email later today as a follow up to the last one. I've just been busy with work and whatnot.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
auburn LSD install johnw Performance and Tuning 52 04-08-2011 11:27 PM
Powertrax No-Slip Vs. Auburn Gear LSD BassAckwardsDyl 2nd Gen. Tacomas 43 03-30-2010 09:58 PM
FS: 2nd Gen Tacoma Badges Neubs Buy / Sell / Trade 5 02-12-2010 11:22 AM
Does your 2nd gen Tacoma resist coasting while in gear??? proone 2nd Gen. Tacomas 36 03-07-2009 04:39 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.