Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade

Notices

Shipping TRD catback

Old 08-31-2010, 05:48 AM   #1
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Shipping TRD catback

Who has shipped a TRD catback, or any single piece 05+ catback for that matter?

I bought a used TRD catback and I just don't like the sound below 3K so I will probably sell it. But before I post it for sale I am trying to understand if shipping it is cost prohibitive or a royal PITA. Anyone with any experience here?

Of course I would greatly prefer a local deal, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:59 AM   #2
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Who has shipped a TRD catback, or any single piece 05+ catback for that matter?

I bought a used TRD catback and I just don't like the sound below 3K so I will probably sell it. But before I post it for sale I am trying to understand if shipping it is cost prohibitive or a royal PITA. Anyone with any experience here?

Of course I would greatly prefer a local deal, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

My TRD exhaust was shipped freight when I bought it online.

I had to go pick it up at the terminal because the TT could not make it down my private street.
I had the same feelings as you & ended up selling it on craigslist, tried selling it here but didn't want to deal with shipping end. Some suggested greyhound but we do not have a terminal.
I got $300 selling local just this past Friday.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:03 AM   #3
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
My TRD exhaust came UPS. No box, the tip was bubble wrapped and kind of boxed in, and the muffler was bubble wrapped. It was shipped from Carson Toyota in Cali to TN like that with no damage.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:15 AM   #4
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input so far.

I checked with UPS/FedEx and they consider it freight, which is hundreds of dollars according to their website calculators. USPS and Greyhound have size limitations, and the catback, at 104in (8.5 ft) is way over that. All other freight carriers are in the hundreds to.

Other ideas or input?
Old 08-31-2010, 06:23 AM   #5
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
I would suggest taking it to UPS wrapped as described above yourself. The reason is the ups calculations are a total dimensional area that a package takes up on the truck. Yes the cat-back is 104" long but it is not wide. for a UPS package to not qualify for regular shipping the equation is LxWxH must = less than or equal to 5100.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:48 AM   #6
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I would suggest taking it to UPS wrapped as described above yourself. The reason is the ups calculations are a total dimensional area that a package takes up on the truck. Yes the cat-back is 104" long but it is not wide. for a UPS package to not qualify for regular shipping the equation is LxWxH must = less than or equal to 5100.
I might try that, but it is wide. From the end of the tip to the outside edge of the muffler it is 24 inches. BTW, the definitions that I found on UPS and FedEx was L+2W+2H <= 165.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:43 AM   #8
BassPilot is a glorious beacon of lightBassPilot is a glorious beacon of lightBassPilot is a glorious beacon of lightBassPilot is a glorious beacon of lightBassPilot is a glorious beacon of lightBassPilot is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bennett
BassPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Richardson Toyota charged me $39 for shipping. It arrived very quickly, in only 3-4 days. It was naked except for the tip was covered with bubble wrap and a box. It had a small dent in the tip that is hardly noticeable, but still there.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
yes the shipping to me was the same $39, bubble wrap on the flange & carboard bubble wrap on the tip.

It must be less expensive when you have a commercial account volume shipping discount because when I was selling mine I ran into the same scenerio as the OP. Big $$$, then risk it getting damaged in shipping to someone in a different state. I would have liked to help out a fellow member but it was challenging & risky.

Selling on CL was easy, buyer showed up with cash & picked it up.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
I have access to my company's UPS commercial account and the size restrictions are still the same. Add up the measurements and it spits it out as too big. Same with FedEx, Greyhound and USPS. Freight quotes, shee yite, bend over and smile!

Appears like it's going to have to be a local sale.

Anyone in Houston area interested? PM me. I'll see if I get any bites on Craigslist. Thanks all.