1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is this a good deal on a 2005 Double Cab Tacoma 4x4 TRD sport

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade' started by TacWoman, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Sep 16, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    TacWoman

TacWoman [OP] Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon
    There is a 2005 Tacoma Double cab 4x4 w/ TRD sport that I will be looking at tomorrow to purchase(finance) and the asking price is $18990 w/ 61,000 miles and one owner on the Carfax. Is this a good deal? Kelley Blue Book puts it at about $21,090 and edmunds.com puts the True Market Value for a non certified vehicle at $17,100. Can I get it lower than the $18990 they are asking? I think I should start my offer at $17,500 but maybe i'm dreamin' or am I??

I of course will only start an offer if I see the Tacoma is in good condition. Since it is a 2005 is there any things I should watch out for? I will be searching the forum tonight for any issues I should look for.

Anybody out there get a Tacoma similar to this one recently? how much?

2. Sep 16, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    Don't forget about the tax on top of the asking price; I would offer $17,000 and settle at $17,500; Even at that price its almost 20k out the door.

3. Sep 16, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    get an OFFROAD.........thats my 2 cents

4. Sep 16, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    bookmonke

bookmonke Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC PreRunner Rugged Trail
    Offer them $17k, worse they can say is no, from my experience the asking price is usually $2k high, so what is the trade value on it, that is what they paid or probably less and base your price on that.

5. Sep 16, 2010 at 6:23 PM
    TacWoman

TacWoman [OP] Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon
    Starting at $17k sounds good and not going above $17500. I will stick to that especially with me having a trade in that I still owe on...ouch. Silly me I thought I could live with having a small car instead of a truck or SUV. Now I have the joy of losing a couple grand because I made a decision based on what I thought I should get instead of what I wanted. I could just stick with the car but then i wouldn't have a Tacoma, which I have always wanted!

Off road would be nice but I can't justify it right now, I drive in the snow and some small trails, nothing major.

6. Sep 16, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    LEX

LEX --- --- --- - ----

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    100 Series LC
    Seems like a decent deal, especially for Cali. I'd still negotiate the price. Never settle for what they're asking. GL.

7. Sep 16, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    rv210

rv210 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    robert
    san antonio
    Vehicle:
    ***HAD***05 quadcab 4x4 taco
    bed cover, piaa led's, bfg a/t tires,17' pro comp 6089 rims,billies 5100's in front set at 1.75'
    I recently purchased a 2005 dc 4x4 Tacoma with 43k and Trd off road for 15,500 om craigslist. It is 6speed manuel and fully loaded. Talk them down!

8. Sep 16, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    iSTIZO99

iSTIZO99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    Do you still owe a lot on your current car...is the car's trade-in less than what you owe? Personally, I wouldn't roll that difference into the truck's financing...it's like digging yourself into a deeper hole. Is having the Tacoma a real need or more of a want? Well regardless if it's something that you need to have or really really want then you'll just have to cut your losses and suck it up I guess...sometimes you live and you learn.

Oh yea and definitely talk them down for as low as possible. Good luck!

9. Sep 16, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    TacWoman

TacWoman [OP] Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon
    It is definitely a want not a need. Feeling more confident when driving in the snowy mountains is a huge plus (no i dont drive fast) The tacoma has been on my mind for months and yesterday I saw a deal on this Tacoma that I thought might be worth a shot. Im taking into consideration the costs of more gas, a bit more insurance and higher payments, I estimate they would be $50-90/month more and about $80 more for gas. I had another truck before so I guess the costs would be the same. If my bf gets the LAPD job I would definitely take the plunge! We live together and I pay most of the rent for now.

I kinda wish I could get him to do the deal but he won't be able to tomorrow. Every time I go to a dealer I feel like they believe they can ask whatever they want from me because im female and won't take me seriously. Or is that just everybody? Whatever, if I can get a good deal tomorrow I will do it.

10. Sep 16, 2010 at 7:59 PM
    TacWoman

TacWoman [OP] Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon
    $15,500!! :eek:
    I doubt I can get that at a dealer

11. Sep 16, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    TacWoman

TacWoman [OP] Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon
    I do owe more than I will get for trade in, I checked KBB and Carmax. I know I will lose a couple grand that's one of the reasons im going used w/ this many miles. Could be one of the stupidest or smartest(happier) decisions ill make this year.

12. Sep 16, 2010 at 8:08 PM
    RMTacoguy30

RMTacoguy30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Murrells Inlet, SC
    Vehicle:
    10 DC Prerunner Sport TRD
    EGR in channel Vent Visors, Flowmaster American Thunder Dual Exhaust, Thule ToolBox, AFE Pro Dry Drop In Air Filter, Weathertech Floorliners, TC UCA's, Camburg Spindles, AllPro 3" rear.
    Doesn't hurt to try. You would be amazed at what some of these dealers give people for their trade in's. The day I bought my tacoma a guy had just traded in a 2010 lexus and they gave him 18k for it. I asked them what they were asking and the guy told me 31k. I told him I would trade my tacoma right back in if they would give it to me for 19k and he just laughed. But I'm sure I could have gotten it for a lot less than 31k. Anyways... Moral of the story is you never really know what they got it for. So they might take 15.5k

13. Sep 16, 2010 at 8:13 PM
    iSTIZO99

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    Unfortunately so, I wouldn't be surprised that the dealer would think they could pull the wool over your eyes just because of that fact, you're a female, especially if you show up there by yourself too. Then again, you might could use this to your advantage to throw them off if you're savvy enough. Have you already been pre-approved on a loan? That's more bargaining chips for you right there! It's like a big poker game if you show them your hand up front, they'll gladly take you all the way to the bank.

14. Sep 16, 2010 at 9:18 PM
    TacWoman

TacWoman [OP] Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon
    I was thinking I should come to my senses and not take a big loss and not bothering to try. but I am gonna go tomorrow and see what happens. I just have to stick to my guns. Maybe I can get the tacoma for $15.5 and get a good deal on the trade if my timing is right.

As for the loan iSTIZ I haven't yet but was thinking of calling my credit union in the morning to see if I can get the pre-approval. But I would rather see what kind of deal I can get first instead of getting another inquiry on my report.

15. Sep 16, 2010 at 9:56 PM
    moline

moline Member

Member:
    torrance, ca
    Vehicle:
    11 dcab Pre/10 AC Pre
    is it the white 05 Dcab/sport at carson honda? has sunroof, tonneau cover, tow package with Geolander ATS??

nice truck - was mine!!!!
    (just did 60 service w/ Mobil 1. and transaxle fluid change - sync also.)

traded for an accord - needed a family car. Dcab wasn't big enough for the kids who grew!!

later
    dan

p.s. i just bought a 06 Taco Off-Road Prerunner Access Cab - love it!

16. Sep 16, 2010 at 10:08 PM
    iSTIZO99

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    Definitely know what you will be approved for that way you'll know what monthly payments you can expect to make. And yea, credit Union is a good place to go to. I originally got my preapproval with Navy Federal and they were able to give me their lowest possible rate. When I sat down with the Toyota finance manager he was able to beat their rate by 0.10% so I went with his recommended lender instead.

If this deal doesn't work out tomorrow, just remember there's plenty of other opportunities out there. Do you have insurance with USAA? Because they've got a pretty good car buying program. You basically tell them what you're looking for and they'll get you what you want at a good price without the haggling. I believe Navy Federal's also got something like this, but I kinda found out about it when it was too late.

17. Sep 17, 2010 at 3:26 AM
    bookmonke

bookmonke Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC PreRunner Rugged Trail
    Another thing that motives them is talking about a car similar on another lot, say you had just looked at it and were close on numbers, but wanted to see this one too and start out low and make the price out the door on every counter offer. That way they can't make up funds on the back end of the deal, print out the KBB trade price, private party and retail, if they can make about $2k above trade they are usually happy.

18. Sep 17, 2010 at 3:41 AM
    brians05taco

brians05taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Lafayette,La.
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner white debadged 4.0
    lifted, bedcover,BHLM, grill, etc...
    let us know how it goes and good luck

19. Sep 17, 2010 at 7:11 AM
    moline

moline Member

Member:
    torrance, ca
    Vehicle:
    11 dcab Pre/10 AC Pre
    good advice.

i'd also try to stick your numbers (i.e., know what you need for your car).

be prepared to walk away and say i need x to get the car. leave your phone number with them and get them to call back.

(of course i didn't do any of this when i traded the dcab in for another car!!!)

later
    dan

20. Sep 19, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    TacWoman

TacWoman [OP] Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon
    So I went to the dealer and as I sat in the Tacoma ready for a test drive I knew I was doing the wrong thing. I decided to wait a bit longer for my Tacoma, maybe save some more cash while I pay my current car down more. For now I'll just try not to drool whenever a Dcab or Access cab 4x4 Tacoma passes by. Blast!!! I really wanted one before the snowboarding season starts....I just checked to see if they still have it and it looks like someone snatched it up.

I should be able to get a much better deal by selling the car I have on my own and get a good Tacoma.

Products Discussed in

To Top