1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need inputs buying a used 05 taco TRD sport

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade' started by zeroendless, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Oct 9, 2010 at 3:43 PM
    zeroendless

zeroendless [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Stock
    [Post on wrong section, should have post on 2nd gen i guess. Can mod change that? ]
    Long time lurker and just save enough for a used Taco, so i need your inputs here for a used Taco.

Have a local seller, an elderly about to retire, selling his one-owner 2005 Tacoma V6 auto 4x2 DC Sport TRD for $13,500 at 118,500 miles. The truck is extremely clean, inside out, and the engine and beneath the truck looks as if spotless. It's his daily truck drive to and off works and occasional home-depot. Everything is stock, new tire and new battery. He does the oil changes and maintainable works. The truck drives good and the tranny shift smoothly.

He said the tranny needs flush and the rear-viewed mirror electronic (compass and whatno) doesn't work. The truck has running board and color-matched tonneau cover.

He is firmed on the price. What do you think? It's worth the asking price for a Texas truck? How much would you pay for it. Also, what kind of concern and need 2nd look for an 05 taco at this age. Thanks!

Daniel.

2. Oct 9, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    paulm09tacoma

paulm09tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab trd
    Dan- in my honest opinion, it seems like a lot of money for a NON 4x4 truck with that many miles on it. grant it, the tacomas do hold their value and have been known to go high into the miles 250k+. but for non 4x4 i think you can do better.

3. Oct 9, 2010 at 3:57 PM
    paulm09tacoma

paulm09tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab trd
    i just checked NADA website and the price seemed good. so i would have a reputable mechanic check the truck and go with your gut instinct.

4. Oct 9, 2010 at 4:22 PM
    zeroendless

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Stock
    Hi Paul, thanks for the input. Yes, 4x4 would be perfect, but truck market is pretty good here and the price is slightly higher than most area. I did check with Kelly Blue Book and the price range is $10,600 - $13,000. If he has backed down about $12,500 i would crave in :). it's a very very well maintained truck. But that's hard-earned saving, i figure few more pointers from ya Taco enthusiasts won't hurt.

5. Oct 9, 2010 at 8:17 PM
    ChaseUA

ChaseUA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Bama
    Vehicle:
    Present: 2016 White TRD Sport DC Past: 2010 MGM TRD Sport AC 4x4
    Price sounds reasonable. Even if he is firm, people have a way of loosening it up when the money is in front of them. You may be able to get it down to $13k or even the $12.5k if you are patient and also willing to let it go to someone else in the event someone comes and offers full asking price.

If you purchase the truck the compass/temp thing is a common problem and there is clear instructions on here for the DIY fix for it that will get it working!

6. Oct 10, 2010 at 12:19 PM
    Steezyskis

Steezyskis I ski I work I'm rad

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Lake Tahoe (west shore)
    Vehicle:
    Black 05 DC 4x4 sport SB
    Tuff country front bumper, Walker Evans 2.5 coilovers, Allpro 3" rear leafs with 5100s and an Allpro U-bolt flip kit, K&N CAI, 16x8 Raceline raptor wheels wrapped with 285 Toyo ATs, Sockmonkey bed decals, Softtopper camper shell, half debadged with black painted tacoma emblems, B.A.M.F rock sliders, GT covers, BHLM, PIAA lights and more to come.
    Yeah I got my DC 4x4 05 for 17500 and it only had 41k. Its all about timing it may be nice but what if you buy it and a week later you see a better deal. Plus what happens if you ever need 4wd. Let your truck find you don't go lookin to hard. Just my thoughts on the issue. Good luck!

7. Oct 11, 2010 at 5:54 AM
    Kahunadave

Kahunadave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 DC PrernrTRD Sport
    K&N CAI-series 63, custom Billet Grille, Magnaflow exhaust, AR Tactic 17x8, Toyo A/T opencountry 265/70/17, Iridium plugs.
    Have you checked outside of where you live? For that truck 11500-12500 seems like a resonable price, at least in my Op. I have 107K on mine, i'm the original owner..and never had any issues. I'd start my offer at like 11800 and let him bump You up from there. That being said.. I put a lot of value in "one owner" vehicles, you get to meet the original owner..and you kindof get a feel for how it's been taken care of.. no surprises..if you know what i mean. :D

8. Oct 11, 2010 at 6:53 AM
    Bama_TACO

Bama_TACO ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!

Member:
    Winfield, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner Double Cab TRD SPORT
    If it's as clean as you say it is, then it's worth it in my opinion. Trucks that are clean underneath and under the hood are worth some extra to me. A lot of trucks I looked at looked like they had been in the mud a bunch, which I did not want. Also, a color matched tonneau will run you close to $1000 by the time you have it painted. New tires and new battery helps with the value too. Depending on what tire he put on it. These 17" tires aren't cheap.

9. Oct 11, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    zeroendless

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Stock
    Again, Thanks for the inputs. The new tires are Michelin.

Yes, i checked out a few locally around that age and most of them, even after dealership detailed, is no where compare to this truck. There's no evident whatsoever the truck been in the mud (at least i can't tell), and the engine compartment looks too darn clean. No a single oil drop or splash of dry mud. Often, one can tell a clean car has just recently been oiled, this one isn't, just plain clean. :) the seats, even the driver piece looks in excellent condition! For those been in the situation shop around a used taco, how often you've seen 05-06 car this clean?

Question : He also mentioned having a local truck shop adding piece of "leaf pack" spring? in the back so ti's higher, and when the truck drives though a ditch, the back doesn't drop that much, hitting the tires or something. Is that sometime i should be concern? He said the dealer says that's normal but he didn't like it so he had it done.

Ps, Kahunadave. I wish i'm at FL area. Looked into autotrader, used tacos are definitely cheaper there compare to here.

10. Oct 11, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    Bama_TACO

Bama_TACO ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!

Member:
    Winfield, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner Double Cab TRD SPORT
    I looked for a couple of months before I found one in the condition I wanted. Mine is clean and is an 05 Prerunner TRD Sport with 75,000 miles and I gave $15,800 for it. It had a brand new set of $800 Michelins on it and a hard tonneau cover. It was worth every penny to me.

The deal with the leaf pack is common. Toyota has a TSB on this and they will replace the springs if the truck is still under warranty. Most people will just add a leaf to the pack. It gives you more carrying capacity and lifts the rear about 1.5 inches depending on the spring used. Most people will raise the front up with some Bilstein 5100 to level out the front to match the rear.

11. Oct 11, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    If he won't budge on the price, I would at least negotiate the cost of the tranny flush and mirror repair into it. That should be an easy one as it a win/win for both. Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top