Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade

Notices

Metalmiller Headache Racks

Old 10-31-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
MetalMiller has a brilliant futureMetalMiller has a brilliant futureMetalMiller has a brilliant futureMetalMiller has a brilliant futureMetalMiller has a brilliant futureMetalMiller has a brilliant futureMetalMiller has a brilliant futureMetalMiller has a brilliant futureMetalMiller has a brilliant futureMetalMiller has a brilliant futureMetalMiller has a brilliant future

MetalMiller's Tacoma Gallery
Metalmiller Headache Racks

I've been toying with designs for a headache rack for Tacomas that can mount using the stock bedrails and is sturdy enough to take quite a beating. Here are some pics of the unpainted rack itself and will be uploading some pictures explaining the mounting system very soon.

I'd love to hear any feedback, suggestions, or requests. I have included some holes at the top of the rack for tie downs and since it the sides are plasma cut, I can do all kinds of custom options.

Some pics of the mounts: These are made to be about the length of a toolbox. It is not pushed all the way forward because we were pressed for time and my friend had the ammo can mod on. The mounts can also be changed up for taste and individual style. I am working on a shorter one for those that dont have toolboxes. More detailed pics and mounted rack pics coming soon!

The round holes are for bolts that attach to backing plates that slide into the bed rail and the long slots are for J-hooks for tool box mounting, this has been tested on my buddies taco.

More pics, I decided to tweak the design a little bit and will be making the parts next week. I am going to be making the rack little tighter, you can see how the mounts work in these pics though. I can throw some holes in the side of the rack if you guys can think of something that is practical or just looks cool.. anywho here are some more pics.
added 11-5

Old 10-31-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Looks sweet...subbed for pics on the truck.

Any idea on pricing?
Old 10-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
How does it attach to the truck, not seeing it. If it uses the side rails, how far off the front of the bed does the headache rack sit? Seems very strong built! Will you be looking into adding mesh between the heavy steel to stop things from hitting the glass?
Old 11-01-2010, 12:55 AM   #5
Tactical Trunk Monkey
Celtic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to behold

Name: Nick
Celtic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Celtic Send a message via Yahoo to Celtic
Looks good . Any idea of an unfinished price? Plus how are you planning this to be mounted? I'd prefer straight to the truck, not the bed rail system. Thanks for posting!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
rob1's Tacoma Gallery
....subscibed
Old 11-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
Not all who wander are lost
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

01GREENTACO's Tacoma Gallery
subscribed
Old 11-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd as well, I'd like to see some plates for lights on the top crossmember as well...
Old 11-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #10
MetalMiller has a brilliant futureMetalMiller has a brilliant futureMetalMiller has a brilliant futureMetalMiller has a brilliant futureMetalMiller has a brilliant futureMetalMiller has a brilliant futureMetalMiller has a brilliant futureMetalMiller has a brilliant futureMetalMiller has a brilliant futureMetalMiller has a brilliant futureMetalMiller has a brilliant future

I'm not sure about a price yet, but I'm lookin to be pretty competitive.

I can pretty much add anything metal to these things, So I can look into light mounts as well as some kind of mesh or expanded metal to protect from smaller pieces. I'll try to add some pics tonight showing the mounting system.

And for those of you who would rather mount straight to the bed, I will add some bolt holes to the mounts to make both options available with the same hardware.

Keep the feedback coming!
Old 11-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
trailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant future
trailmaker's Tacoma Gallery
I envy your fabrication skills. I have none so I bought one recently made by "Rack-it". I guess your intended use will dictate the design, but tight mesh was a necessity for me since I probably throw a couple thousand pieces of cordwood into it every year. I was concerned about visibility through the mesh but it turned out not to effect visibility significantly. My rack is incorporated into bed rails which I needed anyway. one nice feature is a moveable crossbar on the bed rails. If I'm carrying something large and bulky I can sandwich it between the headache rack and the crossbar. If I move the bar all the way back long items can span the headache rack and crossbar and extend over the tailgate.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kenny
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
why is it called a headache rack? lol
Old 11-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #14
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 11-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #15
c2thegreat is a jewel in the roughc2thegreat is a jewel in the roughc2thegreat is a jewel in the rough

Army: Infantry
c2thegreat's Tacoma Gallery
very interested
Old 11-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #16

I like the sliding crossbar, that's a pretty cool idea... I do have a question for you guys though, my biggest concern is shipping costs for these things. Any recommendations for inexpensive/reliable shipping? I'm guessing these things will weigh about 30 to 40 lbs... just a ball park. I know I can make them affordable, I'm just worried about shipping costs.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #17
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
30-40 lbs... you can still send them ground depending on the overall measurements...
Old 11-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #19

Posted some new pics in post # 1