Notices

How do I ship wheels/tires?

Old 07-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
sprgrey is on a distinguished road

Name: Grey
sprgrey's Tacoma Gallery
How do I ship wheels/tires?

Hey guys,

I just sold my stock wheels and tires. The buyer has agreed to pay for shipping. How and where do I go to ship wheels and tires? Do I put the reciept of the shipping cost in the box? Is the safest way to get payment is to send the guy a paypal invite for the total? I've never shipped something this large so I'm new to this and dont want to screw it up.... THANKS!!
Old 07-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprgrey View Post
Hey guys,

I just sold my stock wheels and tires. The buyer has agreed to pay for shipping. How and where do I go to ship wheels and tires? Do I put the reciept of the shipping cost in the box? Is the safest way to get payment is to send the guy a paypal invite for the total? I've never shipped something this large so I'm new to this and dont want to screw it up.... THANKS!!
Get the shipping quote and get your money up front. I wouldn't ship anything until funds cleared my accound. Fastenal would ship something that large. I'm sure UPS would also but it'd be pricey. Google search 'logistics' for freight companies. It will be much cheaper if they pick-up/drop off somewhere with a loading dock rather than a residential location.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
when i shipped tires and wheels, I just got 2 flat pieces of cardboard, sandwhich the tire/wheel, then wrap with plastic wrap that you can get at home depot or lowes. Forgot how much shipping was, but buyer paid for it
Old 07-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
When I bought new tires and rims for my trailer...I bought them on the internet. They came fully inflated.....cardboard on each side almost as big as the tires.....bands around them. Center caps were in bubble wrap inside the rim. They came UPS.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigk View Post
When I bought new tires and rims for my trailer...I bought them on the internet. They came fully inflated.....cardboard on each side almost as big as the tires.....bands around them. Center caps were in bubble wrap inside the rim. They came UPS.
And that's UTILITY trailer...not trailer HOUSE!!!
Old 07-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
Busting Asphalt
Conviction11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConviction11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConviction11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConviction11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConviction11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConviction11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConviction11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConviction11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConviction11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConviction11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConviction11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
Conviction11's Tacoma Gallery
Google FedEx drop offs around your zip code. You can call which ever one comes up closest and ask them what the price will be to ship from your zip code to your customers based off the weight. Since your shipping four packages, you will get four labels, but one master tracking number.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Get the shipping quote and get your money up front. I wouldn't ship anything until funds cleared my accound. Fastenal would ship something that large. I'm sure UPS would also but it'd be pricey. Google search 'logistics' for freight companies. It will be much cheaper if they pick-up/drop off somewhere with a loading dock rather than a residential location.
x2

You can check out LTL carriers (less than truckload) that have operations at your location and the destination, like Roadway, ABF, Conway for example. They don't really deal with residential pick up and delivery. So...

You would do a "dock drop" at the local terminal, and then specify a will call for the destination, and the buyer would go pick them up at the destination terminal.

But these operations use forklifts...and forklifts can do a lot of damage, so really good packaging or crating for round, heavy things like this is important. You could stick them in four individual boxes (use new boxes that fit the wheels very well with minimal slack space, and put extra cardboard inside to reinforce the emptry corners and protect the wheels' edges), or one crate.

But that's a lot of effort and UPS may still be easier...
Old 07-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conviction11 View Post
Google FedEx drop offs around your zip code. You can call which ever one comes up closest and ask them what the price will be to ship from your zip code to your customers based off the weight. Since your shipping four packages, you will get four labels, but one master tracking number.

Beware, if it is not in a typical box there may be an additional fee for non-standard packaging that can add up to $8 per package. Also be sure to specify if you are shipping to a residential address, this also can have an impact on the final cost for shipping. Oh and if you are going to insure the packages make sure you tell them that as well as it will also affect the cost of your shipment.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
mikracer is just really nicemikracer is just really nicemikracer is just really nicemikracer is just really nicemikracer is just really nice
mikracer's Tacoma Gallery
I just shipped rims/tires from CA to MD and they were about $75 per rim/tire. UPS will charge an additional $8 per tire that isnt enclosed in a box, but sometimes they waive that fee. I just did the cardboard sandwich method and used a ton of packaging tape.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
These guys named it. Tires installed and inflated w/ a couple pieces of cardboard on each side of the rim. Wrap it using plastic wrap (kinda stretchy, but strong). They'll get there safe n sound. Had plenty of wheels come and go in this fashion w/ no problems. I shipped UPS, but fedex would be fine too.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #11
dan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dan0's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
x2

You can check out LTL carriers (less than truckload) that have operations at your location and the destination, like Roadway, ABF, Conway for example.

But these operations use forklifts...and forklifts can do a lot of damage, so really good packaging or crating for round, heavy things like this is important. ...
you can strap them to a pallet if ya use one of these carriers
Old 07-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #12
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
i shipped some 20" xd hoss wheels and 32" toyo tire's to a member in wisconsin. I just cut cardboard disc's about the size of the tire and duct taped it on in a criss cross pattern. took it to ups hub and dropped it off. It did cost extra for not being boxed, but i couldn't find a box that size anywhere. They arrived in good shape and all was well.