LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade

Notices

Tips for Selling a Vehicle

Old 12-17-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Tips for Selling a Vehicle

As some of you know I've put my truck up for sale. It sucks, but I have to do it. I've never sold a vehicle before. I am the title holder, so it should be pretty easy, but can any one give me a little direction about what to do. How the transaction should work....payment? It's alot of money....I can't imagine too many people would offer actual cash or would they? Some advice is needed. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
hey bro.............have you tried ebay or craigslist yet?? if not............may be worthwhile to do. lots of traffic there.................and lots of people who pay cash too.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4life View Post
as some of you know i've put my truck up for sale. It sucks, but i have to do it. I've never sold a vehicle before. I am the title holder, so it should be pretty easy, but can any one give me a little direction about what to do. How the transaction should work....payment? It's alot of money....i can't imagine too many people would offer actual cash or would they? Some advice is needed. Thanks.
your selling your truck!!!!! Why?????
Old 12-17-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
Smurfio18 will become famous soon enough
Smurfio18's Tacoma Gallery
Some people might offer cash but be prepared to be what is referred to as "low balled". If you ask for ex. $18,00 they are gonna come at you for $12,000 or so. Be sure and stand your ground when negotiating, know whats the least you are willing to take for it and know whats the ideal amount you would like to get for it. Autotrader is a great website, craigslist might work depending on where you are. A for sale sign on the truck tends to work or go as far as listing it in the local classifieds section. Just remember, the first people to respond and low ball you are just the first ones, there will be others willing to pay for a good truck.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
hey bro.............have you tried ebay or craigslist yet?? if not............may be worthwhile to do. lots of traffic there.................and lots of people who pay cash too.
I'm listed on Craigslist. I'm asking cause I've been getting offers and tomorrow or friday someone is coming out to look at the truck. I want to know what to do if that make an offer I'm willing to accept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BLUEDBLSPORT View Post
your selling your truck!!!!! Why?????
Unfortunately, I'm in a financial jam and need to do what is best for my family. The truck can and will be replaced eventually.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
I'm listed on Craigslist. I'm asking cause I've been getting offers and tomorrow or friday someone is coming out to look at the truck. I want to know what to do if that make an offer I'm willing to accept.
Unfortunately, I'm in a financial jam and need to do what is best for my family. The truck can and will be replaced eventually.
Thats too bad things turned out like that for you, hopefully your truck will go to a good owner.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
Cashiers check/money order is same as cash. BEFORE you accept one/close a deal, call the federal reserve to confirm it's authencity.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Also be weary of people offering you cash for your truck up front without even seeing the truck first hand, they could be trying to pull a fast one on you. You should only sell on legitimate sites like Autotrader.com, much more traffic and I feel the people there are more serious about purchasing your truck, that's how I sold mine.

Make sure if you receive payment in the form of a cashier's check or bank check and go with the person buying your truck to the bank to deposit/cash the check. Never take a personal check and if you do accept cash, have one of those fake currency makers you can get at Office Depot handy too to check those bills. Always protect yourself and have a buddy with you when the prospective buyer comes to take a look or takes a test drive, you can never be too safe.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

in that case.................and im no expert by any means, you will need to make sure that they have the $$$ in the account before you sign your title over to them and cash their check or whatever, and make absolutely certain that you get whatever intended amount you are asking. as far as trasnferring the title and all....i am not so sure about.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:22 PM   #10
Nobody makes me bleed my own blood.
mudduck will become famous soon enough

mudduck's Tacoma Gallery
i've paid cash for cars before and i've also gotten liens. just depends on my money situation. check your state laws on the proper way to transfer titles. in kentucky we have to go to the courthouse and sign the title over to the buyer in front of the clerk where she then noterizes it. the title is then immediately taken out of the sellers name so that he is no longer responsible for the truck if it is in an accident. in some states however, it just takes a signiture on the title from the seller and its up to the buyer to transfer the title over. just dont get screwed by some dumbass who doesnt want to go thru the proper formalities of doing it the right way. cover your ass and do it right.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BLUEDBLSPORT View Post
Thats too bad things turned out like that for you, hopefully your truck will go to a good owner.
Yeah.....lessons learned....sometimes the hard way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulySSes View Post
Cashiers check/money order is same as cash. BEFORE you accept one/close a deal, call the federal reserve to confirm it's authencity.
Is the number to call on the cashiers check/money order?
Old 12-17-2008, 07:31 PM   #12
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah.....lessons learned....sometimes the hard way.

Is the number to call on the cashiers check/money order?
It should be, if not call your bank and they'll give it to you. I can't tell you enough of how important this step is. Another thing I want to recommend is to only accept a check with a major banks name at the header of the body of the check. Easier to verify because it can only be purchased by an account holder of that bank which means that bank will have all the account holders info if something goes wrong.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:34 PM   #13

mudduck's Tacoma Gallery
if he wants to write a check, tell him your keeping the truck until his check clears. then give him a call once it does and say come get your truck dude.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:34 PM   #14

Is there a way to verify a personal check before cashing or depositing it. I'm guessing you can call the bank.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Is there a way to verify a personal check before cashing or depositing it. I'm guessing you can call the bank.
yeah....calling the bank about it is the right move.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:38 PM   #16
--- --- --- - ----

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't accept a personal check. That's just me.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:38 PM   #17

mudduck's Tacoma Gallery
will is right. call the bank and verify the routing number and account number on the check. then verify that the guy has the right amount of funds in his account for transfer.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #18
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
yeah....calling the bank about it is the right move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudduck View Post
will is right. call the bank and verify the routing number and account number on the check. then verify that the guy has the right amount of funds in his account for transfer.
banks can no longer do this...all they can do is verify whether or not the account exists and is open...not if the check will clear

best bet is to take a cashiers check and deposit it and when it clears and you have the funds safely in your account...hand him the keys and sign the title over

i wouldnt sign the title over or provide a proof of sale until funds are clear.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #19
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
I would still hold the truck until the check clears even though the bank says he has the funds. But if it were me, I wouldn't accept personal checks. If he has an account with the bank why can't he get a bank or cashier's check from them then?
Old 12-17-2008, 07:44 PM   #20
--- --- --- - ----

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
tigarfan is right. Another thing banks won't tell you is if there is a stop placed on a personal check.