1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AmsOil

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade' started by mike89, Jun 26, 2012.

1. May 12, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    mike89

mike89 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mikey
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Radio Kenwood DNX890HD Two 10in JL 10w1s Upper control arms Donahoe Racing 2.5 adjustable front coil over's Donahoe Racing rear remote reservoir Deaver Add a leaf 33" Nitto Terra Grappler tires Custom 17" seven spoke black wheels cold air intake Throttle body spacer 3" cat back exhaust Race Radio Garmin GPS TRD seat covers TRD floor mats Drilled and slotted front brake rotors Billet front grill Custom built front off road bumper Three off-road lights Hid headlights LEDS Map Lic plate running lights dome
    Sent you a text.

2. May 13, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    VegasNick

VegasNick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJC
    From the engineer at AMSOIL:
    After taking a look at the reports it looks like your advice is spot on. Silicon is moderately elevated and has enough Aluminum showing to indicate dirt in the oil. This is enough to cause the slight elevation of Iron, probably from upper cylinder walls. The stock air filter may not be able to prevent dirt from coming in or there may be a leak in the intake system.

The result that will limit the drain interval of the oil is the TBN. Blackstone labs will condemn an oil when the TBN reaches 1.00. TBN falls as it neutralizes acid in the oil, so the more acids the engine produces, the faster the TBN will fall. Acids are formed when combustion by-products mix with water vapor in the crankcase, so the more blow-by or the more water vapor an engine has, the faster the TBN will fall. Short-trip driving does not allow the engine to heat up fully and remove the water vapor from the crankcase, which is why it is considered Severe Service.

So my original suggestion stands:
    Flush the motor, new oil, new AMSOIL oil filter, inspect every single inch of that TRD intake system for leaks. Sample again in 5K miles.

Hope that helps! I know we've been chasing it for a while.

3. Jun 13, 2015 at 6:06 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    So, these tales of going 25k miles per change, has anyone actually done it and had a test done on the oil after? I am really skeptical about going more than 7500 miles on an oil change, with 10k max I would go. I just swapped out the Lucas oil in my ATV to Amsoil to see what all the hype is about before I spend the money changing it in my truck. No oil takes the abuse quite as hard as an air cooled, high revving motorcycle engine does. I intend to run the oil for about 6 months, drain it, and send it off to have it tested by blackstone labs and see how it comes out.

Products Discussed in

To Top