Notices

Where to buy bumpers

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
mrdesp04 is on a distinguished road
mrdesp04's Tacoma Gallery
Where to buy bumpers

Hey,
I have a 12 Tacoma SR5. It came with a chrome rear bumper and I'm just not a fan of chrome. I want the rear bumper color matched to my mag gray taco. Does anyone have any good places to get one online? As I said, I only need the outter shell and not all of the harware or components, this is solely for looks and nothing is wrong with my current bumper. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 09-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
PantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Luke
Location: Home: Lexington, VA Current: Pittsburgh/Chicora, PA
PantherTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Paint it. I painted mine with duplicolor paint. I'm certainly no pro painter but it looks great.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
I agree your truck looks really nice. How did you paint over the chrome? I used the duplicolor shadow black out chrome kit on all my emblems so I didn't need any prep work since it was a translucent black. I want my rear chrome bumper to match my mag gray truck (1G3) though. What paint do you suggest since I can only find touch up paint with the 1G3 code
Old 09-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
PantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdesp04 View Post
I agree your truck looks really nice. How did you paint over the chrome? I used the duplicolor shadow black out chrome kit on all my emblems so I didn't need any prep work since it was a translucent black. I want my rear chrome bumper to match my mag gray truck (1G3) though. What paint do you suggest since I can only find touch up paint with the 1G3 code
sanded all the chrome off first then primed with rustoleum primer from walmart then 4 coats of black and 5 coats of clear. http://www.amazon.com/Scion-Magnetic.../dp/B00407RRTG this what youre looking for?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
That looks really good. What kind of paint did you use? Duplicolor?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver_scott View Post
i used to have chrome but i painted mine. sanded with 180 grit then 320 grit. used a self etching primer, normal primer, paint and clear coat.
looks a lot shinier than mine. nice
Old 09-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i used to have chrome but i painted mine. sanded with 180 grit then 320 grit. used a self etching primer, normal primer, paint and clear coat.
SICK, wondering if I can do something similar to my front bumper (OE plastic ). For sure would like to do this to my rear though (chrome). NICE WORK.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TacoRidah View Post
SICK, wondering if I can do something similar to my front bumper (OE plastic ). For sure would like to do this to my rear though (chrome). NICE WORK.
i dont see why you couldnt, sand it with really fine grit paper and then prime it with some filler primer if needed (its thicker and will fill in any gaps/mess ups) otherwise just prime and paint.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatTaco View Post
i dont see why you couldnt, sand it with really fine grit paper and then prime it with some filler primer if needed (its thicker and will fill in any gaps/mess ups) otherwise just prime and paint.
where do you get filler primer? I tried some spray on filler primer once but it was long ago and I used it on my old Dakota. Came out okay ... but not sure if it really worked lol. Also anyone know a color that is closest to Barcelona Red? I went to the dealership and they just label it as "maroon".
Old 09-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TacoRidah View Post
where do you get filler primer? I tried some spray on filler primer once but it was long ago and I used it on my old Dakota. Came out okay ... but not sure if it really worked lol. Also anyone know a color that is closest to Barcelona Red? I went to the dealership and they just label it as "maroon".
yeah thats it, the stuff that didnt turn out too well haha. color code for barcelona is 3R3. look at duplicolor http://www.amazon.com/Scion-Toyota-M.../dp/B00407RSA4
Old 09-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
beaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: scott
beaver_scott's Tacoma Gallery
i got my paint from automotivetouchup.com. you can paint your front plastic bumper. just make sure when painting plastic you use an adhesion promoter before you prime. when you sand chrome with the 180 and 320 you need to use a self etching primer so it will stick to the bare metal because chrome is a treated metal surface it is less "tacky". automotivetouchup.com has great instructions for painting and they sell everything you need...except self etching primer. you can get self etching primer at any auto part store.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
beaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shed

the color code for barcelona red would be on the automotive touchup site. you can also look on the tag in your door jam for your paint code...listed with the vin, year of manufacture, ect..
Old 09-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #14
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
Any of you remove the bumper to paint it? How long it take?
Old 09-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #15

Quote:
the color code for barcelona red would be on the automotive touchup site. you can also look on the tag in your door jam for your paint code...listed with the vin, year of manufacture, ect..
to be honest I really did try that. I even had some members from here have a look and they couldn't find the color code either.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #16

i removed the bumper to paint it. 6 bolts around the trailer hitch area to take out..3 on each side, two bolts under the black plastic piece that sits on the middle of the bumper under the license plate. once its off then you remove the plastic trim.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #18
So, can anyone answer the original question?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #19

Quote:
07tacoridah...the only "red" color codes for an '07 tacoma are 3L5 radiant red and 3P1 impulse red pearl. my truck is the 3P1.
so I was looking on my door jab sticker and found out that I am a 3P1 color I always thought I was a Barcelona red. none the less I now know what color to match for sure thanks man and good lookin out

Products Discussed in this Thread