Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade

Notices

Looking for a good tire air compressor

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for a good tire air compressor

I am looking to buy an air compressor to keep in the truck. What do you suggest?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a $30 one at autozone. If you air down to off road, you would want something better since it takes a while to get a tire up to pressure but if it's emergency use and you'd only need it because you had to plug a tire on the go or bring them up a couple pounds, it does the trick.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=SupraT;5957854]I have this one and have no complaints.
http://www.amazon.com/Viair-30033-VI...ble[/QUOTE]

^ I've got the Viair 300p also. I removed the small clamps and spliced in a set of jumper cables... works great and added around 8' to the total length of the battery cable leads (was a stretch getting back to the passenger side rear.)
Old 11-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
tomwopat is on a distinguished road

tomwopat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiasdad11 View Post
Hey Brian, after considering info here, purchased the linked compressor. Honestly, have not used it yet, but regards were pretty high here @TW and online. hope this helps

http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV5...essor+portable
^^^This^^^ I've got it and it works great. There are lots of reviews and most are positive.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
Be Good or Be Good At It
cjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to behold

cjimenRR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cjimenRR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraT View Post
I have this one and have no complaints.
http://www.amazon.com/Viair-30033-VI...essor+portable
I have the big brother of this one (400p) and it works well on my 33 inch tires. From 20 psi to about 35psi it takes about 1 1/2 minute to fill up each tire
Old 11-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
marcballz is on a distinguished road
Name: Marc
marcballz's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.viaircorp.com/oba.html
i recommend you spend the extra bucks on on of these.. never will let you down! all the other compressors i got for under 100 always burnt out
Old 11-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
This is two samples of what you want to get... they clip onto the battery directly and pump up a truck tire at the rate of 5-6 psi per minute. If you go with the pumps that plug into a cigarette lighter outlet, then they take 3 times longer to fill a tire (2 psi per minute). The ones pictured here cost between $49 and $79.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:02 AM   #10
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, thank!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nam
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
just bought this, used it yesterday, they actually have $10 rebate, brings it down to $15.

works as it should, i would think it'll burn out if u use it too much, but good for emergencies and the occasional top off

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...+tire+inflator
Old 11-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiasdad11 View Post
Hey Brian, after considering info here, purchased the linked compressor. Honestly, have not used it yet, but regards were pretty high here @TW and online. hope this helps

http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV5...essor+portable
I have this one as well, and it has been running well for the past 2 years, have it hardwired to the rear of my runner.

I got mine from 4wheel parts with the Smitty Built label on it, but it is the almost identical. The big difference is the quick release fitting, which is a standard NPT type coupler, some of these come with a cheap fitting that is not a standard fitting, and you cannot replace the hose or fittings if needed. Just something to be aware of. The one below has this fitting. I also relocated the gauge to fit my application.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
Breaker of Wheeling Rules #1 and #2
Mach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
Mach375's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post
I have this one as well, and it has been running well for the past 2 years, have it hardwired to the rear of my runner.

I got mine from 4wheel parts with the Smitty Built label on it, but it is the almost identical. The big difference is the quick release fitting, which is a standard NPT type coupler, some of these come with a cheap fitting that is not a standard fitting, and you cannot replace the hose or fittings if needed. Just something to be aware of. The one below has this fitting. I also relocated the gauge to fit my application.
x2
I have the red Monster Air or whatever it's called (Schlep Boys, $60). The fitting is some proprietary BS that I spent over three weeks trying to find the proper thread type for. I ended up just wrenching a 1/4" NPT on there......and cracking the compressor head at the fitting -- a shit-ton of JB Weld later and it's holding up like a champ.
I have mine mounted in the engine bay, between the ABS pump and the intake pipe. I've routed 1/2" truck airbrake line to a fitting in the front bumper, and another tucked up under the trailer hitch. I also tee'd off a line for my airbags, complete with air switch and gauge mounted in the small passenger cubby in the bed (by the 120V outlet). I'll eventually be adding a tank, once I correct the factory exhaust to be something of a more manageable size. Once this compressor goes out, I'll probably upgrade to a Viair or ARB. But this is what I had from my other 1994 base-model Mitsubishi truck, so it only cost me airline and fittings (which I would have done anyway, regardless of compressor type).
Anyway...back to the compressor. It fills up plenty fast. In fact, it's pretty much the same compressor Viair makes, but with much cheaper parts that wear out faster. The volume, motor, and overall design are identical. I suspect I might even look into adapting a different manufacturer's compressor portion onto the motor once it wears out.

Products Discussed in this Thread