1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HD DVR Vehicle Dash Cams

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade' started by sytfu510, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Mar 6, 2013 at 2:50 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    Will do! It might be a little bit though, I'm slammed with work and school... :eek:

2. Mar 6, 2013 at 4:21 PM
    sytfu510

sytfu510 [OP] Instagram: tacoma510

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL Cab Long Bed TRD Sport
    Dirt Designs LT kit front and 3 link kit rear SCS Wheels BAMF rack, bumper ,sliders
    Fyi you can use the hardwire kit for cobra radar detectors. I got mine on Amazon.

3. Mar 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    What wire did you hard wire it to?

4. Mar 8, 2013 at 4:04 PM
    sytfu510

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Dirt Designs LT kit front and 3 link kit rear SCS Wheels BAMF rack, bumper ,sliders
    I tapped it to the 12v outlet, however my friend is currently testing the hardwire kit to make sure it doesn't overpower the unit.

5. Mar 8, 2013 at 4:22 PM
    2ski4life7

2ski4life7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB 4x4 TRD Off Road Previously '12 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    I want one! too bad i dont have the cash right now. Subbed for later.

6. Mar 8, 2013 at 4:35 PM
    Two Tall

Two Tall Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road DCSB 4x4
    Retrax MXPro bed cover, Gentex Homelink mirror, TRD exhaust
    I'm ready to buy. Got stock?

7. Mar 8, 2013 at 6:11 PM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Looking at the picture on Amazon I don't see a voltage convertor. According to the discription on the actual car plug that comes with the unit it converts it down to 5.5 V. Using 12V with that hardwire kit could fry the unit.

8. Mar 8, 2013 at 7:50 PM
    thebottomline

thebottomline Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pac NW
    Vehicle:
    11 sport
    A couple questions:

first, a major complaint about these type of cameras is when a new file is created. It often takes several seconds to do, and therefore if there is an incident during that period it is not recording. How long are the gaps in time between files?

second, the video appears choppy to me, not fluid like typical motion capture videos. Is that seen by anyone else?

9. Mar 8, 2013 at 10:24 PM
    sytfu510

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Could you please use your own thread instead of hijacking mine? Instead of Coming in here and trying to use my thread to sell yours.

10. Mar 8, 2013 at 10:28 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Yeah , pretty poor manners

11. Mar 9, 2013 at 4:57 AM
    BigRedFitz

BigRedFitz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    MASSACHUSETTS
    Vehicle:
    '09 SR5 Double Cab Short bed 4x4
    The time between the files is necessary as the camera saves the file and recommences recording. This can be avoided by selecting the Off option, rather than 2, 5 or 15 minutes. The trade off is the risk of missing something during the file cycling process vs. sifting through a single 32GB file (>10 hrs of footage) for your video gold. Also, with the Off setting, it will record until the card is full and then stop. It will not start recording over from the begining. Furthermore, if the single 32GB file somehow gets corrupted, it's all gone. I guess it depends what you plan to do with it. I decided that the 5 minute setting was good for me. Obviously, the smaller the file, the more often it will cycle.
    I believe the manual states it's a 3 second process, but I'd be surprised if it was even 2. I'll try to time it, but the screen goes blank for a split second while it saves and then starts recording right away.

The file structure is pretty cool, too. It uses the date and time stamp so you can drill down from month folder to day folder to specific file named by time stamp. So, you if you wanted to review something from two days ago, you can navigate right to that folder and easily find that group of files.

For those curious about the suction mount quality, no worries there. Mine is right where I stuck it when I first installed it. By comparison, my GPS mount would have fallen off many times by now (I don't leave the GPS up unless I need it.)

Lastly, I have not had any problems with the video quality - choppiness or otherwise. If you have the money and are on the fence about buying one, I highly recommend it.

12. Mar 9, 2013 at 6:37 AM
    Redeemed

Redeemed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 with a "TRD Off-Road" sticker
    Sell cameras! How 'bout a write up?

13. Mar 9, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    sytfu510

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Will do soon. Currently he is checking the hardwire kit to make sure the voltage is regulated. If not he'll have to make his own kit to go with the cameras.

14. Mar 9, 2013 at 7:04 PM
    Cain

Cain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    Chrome don't get you home
    I'm, In!

15. Mar 11, 2013 at 7:32 AM
    BigRedFitz

BigRedFitz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    MASSACHUSETTS
    Vehicle:
    '09 SR5 Double Cab Short bed 4x4
    I compared the stop and start times of several consecutively recorded files and the range is from 1-3 seconds time difference from the end of one to the beginning of the next. The instruction manual states 3 seconds. While I had the 32GB SD card out, I noticed it was just about full, so I counted the files and confirmed that this size card will hold over 10 hours of recordings before either recycling or stopping, depending on your settings.

Also, like a lot of other clocks, the time on this DVR must be manually adjusted for daylight savings changes.

16. Mar 11, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    itsboosting

itsboosting Member

Member:
    running board, HID, dash cam, gps, back up camera, 2way remote start, firestone air bags in the rear
    holy moly, talk about detailed review. :thumbsup: bigredfitz!

17. Mar 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM
    JackTRD

JackTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    12 SR5 Hidden treasure
    TRD exhaust, bed mat, G4 Elite cover, weather tech front and rear, AVS window deflectors, pop&lock electric tail gate, aFe Pro dry S, compustar alarm with remote start, interior LED, Titan AIr Compressor
    Do you ship to Canada if so how much $$.

18. Mar 22, 2013 at 6:39 PM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    Alex, your buddy ever look into this? I was waiting to see the outcome before I picked one up from u

19. Mar 22, 2013 at 6:49 PM
    nfs257

nfs257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    She gone
    x2

20. Mar 22, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    got any in stock?

Products Discussed in

To Top