Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade

Notices

Clean, rust-free one owner 1987 4Runner 5spd 22RE w/175K miles

Old 06-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
DesertRatliff will become famous soon enoughDesertRatliff will become famous soon enough

DesertRatliff's Tacoma Gallery
Clean, rust-free one owner 1987 4Runner 5spd 22RE w/175K miles

*******************SOLD SOLD SOLD. Thanks for the comments and interest!********************

After 5 years of indecision, my dad's 4Runner has got to find a new, good home. I've never had a harder time selling anything in my life, but life goes on and I need the funds for the next chapter. Not too many one owner 1st Gen's out there in this condition, so I wanted you and the TTORA animals to have the first crack at it.

Truck lived in Flagstaff, AZ for 24 years but spent the last year and a half with me in Durango, CO. PM me with questions. Serious inquiries only please.

1987 Toyota 4Runner DLX 4WD

-22RE with 5 speed. 175, xxx original miles on motor and chassis.

-PS/PB/AC/MT/EFI, Tilt wheel, manual windows and door locks

-One owner, all original, 99 % stock, rust-free Arizona truck.

-Dealer serviced most of its life.

-Recent tune-up (spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, O2 Sensor) and oil andfilter change, K&N filter serviced, gearboxes topped off, clutch system and brake system flushed and refilled. Ready to go damn near anywhere.

-Timing chain, original clutch and throw-out bearing were replaced bydealer at around 100K.

-Ever Start battery purchased 10/5/10.

-30x9.50 R15 BF Goodrich A/T’s w/ less than 10K on them. Rolling onEagle Alloy 6 hole rims.

-Brand new Sony AM/FM/CD/USB/AUX-input deck with 4” Boston Acoustics speakers, Dual Audio 400watt amp and 10”MTX Blue Thunder subwoofer with custom interior-colored cover.

-Forward E-Brake cable replaced 4/18/12.

-period correct Actron LED tach.

-Class III tow hitch with 4 pin connector (only used twice to tow a jetski to a lake).

-Rancho Add-a-Leaf helps the saggy original leaf springs.

-Thule ski and bike rack.

-If it’s not listed above, it’s all original.

The Good (full disclosure):

-My dad was the original owner and the sale includes the originalwindow sticker.

-90% of all receipts.

-Oil changed at or before 3K its entire life and all service was doneto the book.

-Fiberglass shell was never removed and original seal is unbroken and leak-free.

-Runs strong and very reliably. Burns no noticeable oil between 3K oil changes (although sometimes puffs a quick puff of blue on very cold mornings at start-up). Gets 20-22 mpg(have seen 27 once or twice). Never, not once, has it ever let us down.

-4WD works and works well. 4WD-Hi engages at any speed below 60mph. Lowworks as it should, too.

-Original Aisin hubs engage smoothly.

-5-Speed is silky smooth in all gears.

-Body and chassis are nearly rust-free.

-Interior is clean and in good shape for an original,used-as-it-was-intended 25 year old truck. Was garaged most of its life. Non-smoker,no other tears or rips (see below)

-Heat, A/C (with belt attached-see below), speedo, odometer, temp,tach, rear wiper and defroster and all indicator and interior lights work well as do door locks,latches, windows (smooth up and down), 12V outlet, factory clock, E-Brake, Fuel door pull and lock, seat belts, etc. etc.

-Clean, clear AZ title

-Comes with window sticker, Toyota Owner’s manual, Toyota Owner’s Guide,tire change tools w/bottle jack, tool roll and a well-worn Hayne’s manual.

The Bad (full disclosure ):

-Could use new shocks. Rancho RS5000’s are 15 years old now and one is leaking

-Original driver side CV boot is torn.

-I didn’t fix either of the above because it was my intention to cut the IFS off and replace it with a lifted solid axle.

-Original paint is starting to fade and clear coat is pealing in spots. Looks good from 15 feet though!

-Small dents as indicated in pics from a full, long life.

-A/C compressor belt was removed for maximum HP. A/C blew cold when the belt was removed 2 years ago, but compressor bearings do make some noise.

-Tear in original driver’s seat from getting in and out of truck overthe years. Stitched closed, taped and covered with seat covers.

-Crack in dash where most of these old dashes cracked. Recently covered with a new DashMat.

-Some of the plastics are getting pretty brittle and are beginning to crack or have cracked and were fixed. Pics are representative of the condition.

-Rear window goes down with key from back of truck, but does not go up from outside and requires getting in and rolling up from working full-function interior center console switch. Another common problem that I’ve noticed.

-Fuel gauge reads a full tank, but drops off to nothing after ˝ tank. Low fuel light works and leaves about 40 miles of driving. It sounds like the sending unit is wonky. Requires pulling the tank and since the low fuel light works, I've never bothered fixing it.

The Bottom Line:

This would make a good reliable daily-driver or awesome project rig asmost of the stuff that needs replacement would be removed anyway. I would be willing to replace the shocks andthe torn CV if the price is right, but I haven’t bothered because I was always hoping to cut off the IFS and replace it with a lifted solid axle. I’m hoping this truck goes to an owner who will carry out this dream. My dad was the original owner and loved this truck. He never got rid of it because henever needed to; this truck does it all. It’s a clean, reliable, classic Toyota ready for a new home.

Asking $4300 . Priority will go to a future owner who will go SAS and I will do everything I can to help with transport or delivery . Lowballers, tire kickers or D-bags will promptly be ignored.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
DesertRatliff will become famous soon enoughDesertRatliff will become famous soon enough

Carpets were shampooed after these pics were taken. Can shoot new pics if desired, but carpets look even nicer.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Dang! Good price too. GLWS.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
GLWS...looks like a super clean Runner. Just curious, why would priority go to someone who would SAS it as opposed to preserving an excellent vehicle?
Old 06-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
4Bangin is on a distinguished road

Name: Alex
4Bangin's Tacoma Gallery
Beauty
Old 06-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
GLWS...looks like a super clean Runner. Just curious, why would priority go to someone who would SAS it as opposed to preserving an excellent vehicle?
maybe it was a plan of the OP to SAS the vehicle but just didnt have the funds and he would like to see his dream still happen on the vehicle
Old 06-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #10

^^^You got it. We both always wanted to go SAS with a very mild lift and 33x10.50s...but...well...hoping the future owner will and I can follow along from afar.

There are a few trashed, rusted out 1st gens here in town and I figure if someone puts $3K into a conversion, they're more likely to take care of it and have fun in it rather than just run it into the ground.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I refuse to sell my Pickup to most people for two reasons. 1.) they just don't offer enough for me to feel right letting go. 2.) it always sounds like they want to chop it up and smash it.

That's what the old rusty ones are for. If there are ones like my mediocre or your mint one, they need to be kept alive. These things are going to be extinct in a quater century if everyone keeps annihilating them ha
Old 06-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #12
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Great little 4runner there! GLWS
Old 06-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
daleyswanson is on a distinguished road
Army: 153A
daleyswanson's Tacoma Gallery
Good god that is gorgeous. If I was in the market you would already have my monies.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #15
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
Dammmm that's mint . Glws
Old 06-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #16

Sale pending.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #17
buggsislandtaco is on a distinguished road

Name: K.B.
buggsislandtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I hope the new owner does it justice. Very nice 4 Runner.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #18
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
My goodness, that thing is b-e-a-utiful! I wish I had some extra cash...
Hopefully the new owner keeps it in as good of shape.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #19

Thanks for all the love, guys.

Hardest thing I've ever had to sell. The new owner's name is Mike. My dad's name was Mike. Just feels right...