Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade

Notices

Inclinometer/Altimeter

Old 01-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
Cannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
Cannikin's Tacoma Gallery
Inclinometer/Altimeter

You may have seen the thread over in the 2nd Gen Tacomas section where I put together a little digital inclinometer for myself. It got so much interest that I decided to really polish it up and make it available for everyone!

It has an inclinometer as well as an altimeter. It also contains additional sensors I'm not using yet, but the hardware is upgradable so you'll be able to take advantage of them as they come online (the main chip is removable and can be re-programmed or simply replaced with another with updated software).

Here's a walkthrough of all the features:

http://youtu.be/K6dUlgzl_pc

You can pick one up at my shop: http://store.camerontech.io They come as a parts kit (you solder together yourself) for $100 or I can pre-assemble them for $25 more. They're also available with two different screens: 4 different colors of LCD with backlight (dimmable) and 3 different OLED screens. The OLED screens are an extra $10. Because you guys have been so supportive while I was building this thing you can use the coupon code TACOMAWORLD at checkout and get 20% off.

There is no enclosure yet but that's next on my list of things to build. It will probably be a couple of months (at least) until I've got something ready. I'm thinking either something you can velcro to the top of the dash or suction cup to the windshield.

This thing is open source meaning that the hardware designs and software are all available for free so you don't have to buy one from me: you can get all the parts and build it yourself. I'm a software developer during the day and open source is very important to me. It's based on the Arduino platform (also open source).
Old 01-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Very cool Rob!
Look forward to the enclosure ideas

GLWTS!
Old 01-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
ramonortiz55 is a jewel in the roughramonortiz55 is a jewel in the roughramonortiz55 is a jewel in the roughramonortiz55 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Ramon
ramonortiz55's Tacoma Gallery
stop making me spend money.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #6
Boomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boomtacoma01's Tacoma Gallery
Very cool indeed. Would look nice on the a-pillar of my roll cage.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
tri2hunt is on a distinguished road
Name: Micah
tri2hunt's Tacoma Gallery
I should have waited two days to get the tacomaworld discount? This will be cool and useful when installed.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
Cannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tri2hunt View Post
I should have waited two days to get the tacomaworld discount? This will be cool and useful when installed.
I had the coupon code in my initial post on the other thread dude, did you miss it? PM me your order number and I'll PayPal you the 20% back.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #9
tri2hunt is on a distinguished road
Name: Micah
tri2hunt's Tacoma Gallery
I probably did miss it, but thinking about it I am not worried about it. It is totally worth the full price! Thanks for developing something useful..
Hope you sell a ton of them!!
Old 02-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #10
Kendall01 is on a distinguished road
Name: Kendall
Kendall01's Tacoma Gallery
Great item. I'm interested in one . Have you made any other changes? Where would this be mounted? Is it similar in size to the compass/ thermometer? Could one of these handle those functions as well?
Thanks
Old 02-24-2014, 04:14 AM   #11
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Very cool. Would be nice to be integrated into the factory clock position under the stereo.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:35 AM   #12
bigtex2884 has a brilliant futurebigtex2884 has a brilliant futurebigtex2884 has a brilliant futurebigtex2884 has a brilliant futurebigtex2884 has a brilliant futurebigtex2884 has a brilliant futurebigtex2884 has a brilliant futurebigtex2884 has a brilliant futurebigtex2884 has a brilliant futurebigtex2884 has a brilliant futurebigtex2884 has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement:
bigtex2884's Tacoma Gallery
Do I need this for my street queen no.... but do I want it...hell yes
Old 02-24-2014, 06:43 AM   #13
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
What programmable chip are you using?
Old 02-24-2014, 06:53 AM   #14
Love moding vehicles as hobby
Pepe98 has much to be proud ofPepe98 has much to be proud ofPepe98 has much to be proud ofPepe98 has much to be proud ofPepe98 has much to be proud ofPepe98 has much to be proud ofPepe98 has much to be proud ofPepe98 has much to be proud of

Air Force: 24 yrs of Service
Name: Paul
Pepe98's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Sub'd, thinking of ordering now but should I wait for enclosure, Hmmm. Does the control switch have anyting to mount? Is it like the Dimmer swith like on our Tacos?

I could fab something for the unit, just concerned about the switch, but this thing is awesome and is an immediate buy for me. I will going with the pre-assembled with the OLED just like the one in the video. Just need to know about the switch.

Thanks for doing this for us. You must have a big Brain!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall01 View Post
Great item. I'm interested in one . Have you made any other changes? Where would this be mounted? Is it similar in size to the compass/ thermometer? Could one of these handle those functions as well?
Thanks
Mounting options are still up for grabs...over on the other thread you can see one dude dremmeled his dash and put it behind there. Another guy took out the factory thermometer cluster in the overhead console and mounted it there.

This board does have a compass sensor on board, unfortunately it's returning crazy readings. I think it's due to the way the sensor is mounted in relation to everything else on the board...too much interference. It would probably need an external sensor mounted somewhere away from any metal in the truck itself.

Several people have mentioned tapping into the stock thermometer and hooking it up to here. It's on my list of things to look into, but it doesn't currently support it. The sensor has a temperature gauge built in, but it's not very accurate due to the fact that the sensor itself heats up when it powers on. Plus if you mount it in your dash there are all kinds of weird heat sources back there that will throw it off. I added a temperature menu item so you can read the sensor if you want, but don't count on it being the actual cabin temp.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnorantlyAlberta View Post
What programmable chip are you using?
It's using the same chip as an Arduino: the ATMEGA328-P. I actually use an Arduino to program it.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe98 View Post
Sub'd, thinking of ordering now but should I wait for enclosure, Hmmm. Does the control switch have anyting to mount? Is it like the Dimmer swith like on our Tacos?

I could fab something for the unit, just concerned about the switch, but this thing is awesome and is an immediate buy for me. I will going with the pre-assembled with the OLED just like the one in the video. Just need to know about the switch.

Thanks for doing this for us. You must have a big Brain!
I'm glad you like it!

The switch has a couple of mounting holes in it so it should give you a few options, but where you put it is pretty open to interpretation. I'm building a little unit that goes into the overhead console sunglasses pocket. I drilled out a tiny slot for the switch and then a bigger hole in the back that'll fit the circuit board it's mounted to. I'm just going to use hot glue in the back there to hold it in place:

Old 02-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #18
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannikin View Post
It's using the same chip as an Arduino: the ATMEGA328-P. I actually use an Arduino to program it.
Cool. I have a programmer for those. I might even have some of those kicking around. So if I were to go ahead with this, would you email me the program file?
Old 02-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #19
Poolstick is on a distinguished road

Poolstick's Tacoma Gallery
Can you give the dimensions on the screen and on the board?

Also, how hard would a different switch be? That one seems hard to mount feasibly.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:19 PM   #20
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
subd