Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade

Notices

WTB: Tacoma Bike Mount attachment for bed rail

Old 06-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
auart is on a distinguished road
Name: ART
auart's Tacoma Gallery
WTB: Tacoma Bike Mount attachment for bed rail

Anyone have one or TWO of these they want to get rid of ?
Old 06-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
owen06 will become famous soon enough
Army: 1-187th INF REGT
owen06's Tacoma Gallery
If you're interested, I fabbed my own using a regular front fork mount and a couple of 3/8" x 1 1/2" button head bolts and some washers. I mounted three to the front rails and it works great. Total cost, maybe $23 each, including the fork mount.
I can post some pics tomorrow and/ or instructions on how to make it.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
auart is on a distinguished road
Name: ART
auart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by owen06 View Post
If you're interested, I fabbed my own using a regular front fork mount and a couple of 3/8" x 1 1/2" button head bolts and some washers. I mounted three to the front rails and it works great. Total cost, maybe $23 each, including the fork mount.
I can post some pics tomorrow and/ or instructions on how to make it.

Sounds good. Need directions for sure!
Old 06-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by auart View Post
Sounds good. Need directions for sure!
If you search, I do think someone posted pics of said mod..
Old 06-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
owen06's Tacoma Gallery
Ill post some pics tomorrow, but the jist of what I did:
Used 2x 3/8" x 1 1/2" long button head bolt
4x 7/16 fender washers
2x 3/8" lock washers
2x 3/8" nuts
1x fork mount

The bolts will be wide enough to slide into rails, but there is alot of play, so I put one washer (used a cut off wheel and trimmed washer just slightly to fit) on the bolt then slid it into the rail.
The you take the mount with two 3/8" holes drilled into the bottoms and slide it onto the bolts with another washer between the rail and the mount on each bolt. This second washer keeps the mount from going into the rail as you tighten (mounted depending, one of my mounts was wide enough that it wasnt sucked into the rail, so i didnt need the second washers on that one).
Then add the lock washers and the bolts and tighten. I had to use pliers to hold the bolt as I tightened the nuts because the bolt head has nothing to grab onto. (Not to insult your intellect, but the button head bolts are the bolts with the round mushroom- like heads).
And thats it. Like i said, i will post pics (of the finished product) tomorrow if I can remember. Pics are worth a thousand words as they say.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
owen06's Tacoma Gallery
This is what I did, described above. Looking at other threads, people mentioned using two washers together so the one washer doesn't bend. Also I guess you can use any type of bolt, as long as the washer is big enough.

HTH.

- Josh