1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Feeler: TRD Off-Road Stock Front Skidplate

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade' started by jdkeller, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Jun 30, 2009 at 9:23 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller [OP] How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    I have this just sitting in my garage. I dont need it. It has one dent in it as you can see in the picture. I hit it out a little with a hammer. The picture make it look worse than it is. And when its on the truck, its at the back so you cant see it. If anyone wants it I will take $40 local pickup here in socal. Thanks

Edit: Forgot to add that I spray painted the scratch black. The area that had the ding was very minorly scratched and I touched it up. You cant even tell.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jun 30, 2009 at 9:54 PM
    TEX357

TEX357 TX

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TACOMA
    285\70-17 BFGoodrich KM2's 17x8 Pro Comp 7089
    If you'd be willing to ship I'd take it.

3. Jun 30, 2009 at 10:06 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    If nobody local wants it you will be first to have it. :)

4. Jun 30, 2009 at 10:10 PM
    trd2001

trd2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab Long Bed 4x4 Sport
    OME 884 TSB Springs Firestone Airbags
    Will it fit a 4x4 Sport model?

5. Jun 30, 2009 at 10:13 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I honestly dont know. If I can remember I will call the dealer tomorrow to ask. If someone knows feel free to chime in.

6. Jun 30, 2009 at 10:15 PM
    trd2001

Member:
    Simi Valley
    Vehicle:
    I will call parts tomorrow and ask.

7. Jun 30, 2009 at 10:22 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Ok. Let me know.

8. Jul 1, 2009 at 5:29 AM
    auart

auart Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ART
    Auburn, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Off road 2wd
    TRD OFF ROAD, Tow Package, Scanguage2, Secure Tailgate Mod, OEM Tacoma Bed Mat, Stainless Side Step Bars, Extang Trifecta Cover.
    This is the one that comes with the TRD package. I just bought a Brand NEw TRD Truck and this is the same SKid plate. The other one is the Accesorie you have to add seperately. Believe me, I was ill because I wanted the other one.

9. Jul 1, 2009 at 6:37 AM
    trd2001

Member:
    Simi Valley
    Vehicle:
    Mine is badly bent, if you take it off, it a mother to get back on. I have hammered it out quite a few times.

10. Jul 1, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    TEX357

TEX357 TX

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TACOMA
    285\70-17 BFGoodrich KM2's 17x8 Pro Comp 7089
    Oh i thought it was the TRD skid plate but painted black..woops

11. Jul 1, 2009 at 6:30 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Im not upgrading. I have the TRD silver one. That sucks too though.
    Thanks. Im just trying to help someone out if they are in need.

12. Jul 1, 2009 at 9:49 PM
    auart

auart Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ART
    Auburn, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD, Tow Package, Scanguage2, Secure Tailgate Mod, OEM Tacoma Bed Mat, Stainless Side Step Bars, Extang Trifecta Cover.
    I have a Brand new TRD Tacoma bought 10 days ago. Have the window sticker and I called Toyota and asked...They say "The TRD is a Package, and the black one is the one that comes with the TRD package, as listed on the window sticker... "
    The Silver is the Accessory Skid Plate you can ADD-on. Take a look at all the TRD Off Road Trucks on this website, most have the black one exactly like this one.. A Few have the Accessory one that was added for looks after the TRD package on the truck.
    Trust me, I went round and round with the Dealer and the Toyota Rep to make sure I didn't get screwed with not getting the right Plate!
    I would prefer the silver one though!!!

13. Jul 1, 2009 at 10:11 PM
    MEANGREENTACOMA09

MEANGREENTACOMA09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica 09 DBL CAB 4x4 TRD OFF ROAD
    TRD cat back exhaust, rain visors, limo tent on back pasenger windows and 35 percent added to back factory tint window. 35 on front driver and pasenger side. Sport pedals, all weather fl mats, roof rack, front skid plate , BFG ALL TERAINS including spare. ALL installed by dealer.
    Auart,

The skid plate listed above is the standard front skit plate that comes on all Tacoma's. If you are interested in the silver accessory skid plate be sure to check online you can get it a lot cheaper and it is really easy to install yourself just having a good socket wrench. I lake the way they look also and have one. Congrats on your new truck! What color did you get?

14. Jul 1, 2009 at 10:17 PM
    MEANGREENTACOMA09

MEANGREENTACOMA09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica 09 DBL CAB 4x4 TRD OFF ROAD
    TRD cat back exhaust, rain visors, limo tent on back pasenger windows and 35 percent added to back factory tint window. 35 on front driver and pasenger side. Sport pedals, all weather fl mats, roof rack, front skid plate , BFG ALL TERAINS including spare. ALL installed by dealer.
    Auart,

Also the silver just bolts on top of the existing skid plate, it does not replace it. Hope this helps. Best price I have seen for one is at this link for $154.00. They have great prices on everything that Toyota sells for the Tacoma.
    http://www.tacomapartsstore.com/pro...ts_id=721&osCsid=...c67a18f25a5c28db64ba6d824

15. Jul 1, 2009 at 10:17 PM
    auart

auart Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ART
    Auburn, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, my NEW Truck is BLACK!
    [​IMG]

16. Jul 1, 2009 at 10:23 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    You can also remove the black one and add the silver one. Either way works

17. Jul 1, 2009 at 10:39 PM
    auart

auart Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ART
    Auburn, Alabama
    Vehicle:

I agree there is nothing OFF ROAD about the black one...
    I am telling you I looked at one of the top volume dealers in the Southeast US, they got 16 Tacoma Double cabs, of which 10 were TRD O/R package and every single one has the "Skid Plate" listed as part of the package but all of them have the Black one. Maybe its a ripoff in the Southeast, which is part of the Southeast Toyota dealer distribution which is well known for ripoffs....
    But I just bought this truck and the Toyota rep called me after I complained and gave me the line of bull about the skid plte is part of these packages, but they sell the silver one as a seperate Accessory but the silver is not automatically part of the TRD Off Road package.

its sort of a game with words I think..
    I wish I could have gotten a silver one, it looks better!
    I actually went by another dealer and looked at the TRD Off Orad trucks and the only one that had the silver one was one they had charged the extra 199 as a seperate accessory added on, not in the package.
    So I think its a rip.

18. Jul 2, 2009 at 5:23 AM
    auart

auart Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ART
    Auburn, Alabama
    Vehicle:

I actually already have but I will take pics of my sticker and Off ROAD Decals on the truck too... as well as underneath.
    Also, looked at them at the dealer already.... I need to hire you to go to bat for me at the dealership bro...
    they must be selling every single OFF ROAD TRD truck in the South with STD Skid Plates.

Heck, I will even take pictures of another truck at my office, a co-worker bought an OFF Road 2wd truck last week as well....He doesn't have the silver Skid either... Guess he got screwed too! Different dealership too!

19. Jul 2, 2009 at 2:36 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    No worries my friend. I dont have to this.

20. Jul 15, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    auart

auart Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ART
    Auburn, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    OK....oakleyTRD....

The Off Road Package shows Skid Plate but it is the standard black only...
    The silver is only an add-on available only if it is listed by itself on the Sticker or you buy it from Toyota Parts on your own..
    But, and I have you to thank for pointing this out... The OR Package has the extra plate behind the front one and the Gas tank cover. I have posted my pics in my gallery so you can click on my gallery and look through my pictures to see all the pics I took of mine, which is the Off Road 2wd model brand new.
    We looked under a friends Sport model and saw that the Sport model didn't have these extra plates for protection.
    So Thanks for pointing that out. I had a long discussion with my Dealer about this and told them this was one of those misleading Toyota Sticker things and they should not list "Skid Plate" in the OR sticker since most of us look upon that as the Silver one and it is NOT! Kinda like the Tow Package I paid for not coming with a Ball Mount and every 4runner I bought (2 in the last 10 yrs) came with a Ball mount (not the ball itself) and the Tacoma Tow Package does not anymore. That's a rip too!!!
    Of course the dealer is giving me one as a show of good faith since I complained and I haven't done the Toyota Survey yet so they want a good rating!

Thanks again Bro!... Now check out my pics in my Gallery!
    ART

Products Discussed in

To Top