LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade

Notices

WTB: Gen 1 Tacoma < $5000

Old 07-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
KaBaL is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaBaL is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaBaL is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaBaL is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaBaL is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaBaL is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaBaL is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaBaL is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaBaL is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaBaL is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaBaL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KaBaL's Tacoma Gallery
WTB: Gen 1 Tacoma < $5000

I'm looking for a Tacoma, need it to haul my dirtbike to from races on the weekends. I have ~$5000 to spend. I'd prefer at least extended cab. Obviously newer and fewer miles better, but willing to trade off millage and age for options (4x4, double cab, etc.)

Let me know what you have.

PS - willing to travel within 500 miles of the D.C. area, otherwise shipping will be required.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, not gonna happen for $5K, but good luck.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
KaBaL is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaBaL is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaBaL is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaBaL is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaBaL is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaBaL is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaBaL is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaBaL is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaBaL is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaBaL is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaBaL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KaBaL's Tacoma Gallery
Why do you say that? Gen 1 ranges from 96-04, I've been looking in the 98-00 range, I'm not looking for a brand new truck here, just curious as to what some of the community has. There are quite a few in the area, but the 250k+ millage is a little bit of a turn off. I'm not in a rush, so taking my time to get something I want.

I'm also considering wrecked/salvaged trucks, broken, or whatever, mechanical and autobody aren't issues for me either - its just an opening to see whats available.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
well the bad thing for you...and the good thing for us owners is the trucks hold value very well...finding a 1st gen with decent miles for under 8500 bucks is a challenge. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by uood8 View Post
well the bad thing for you...and the good thing for us owners is the trucks hold value very well...finding a 1st gen with decent miles for under 8500 bucks is a challenge. Good luck!
Well said!
Old 07-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #7

KaBaL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
"decant" being the key word there.. There are quite a few 96-98 trucks around here, with a billion miles, and the beds falling off for a couple thousand dollars. So yeah, I know its not something that's going to be easy - but doesn't hurt to ask. And the whole premise - I'm not looking for a 4x4 specifically.. hell a regular cab, 2wd can haul a bike just as well as a 4x4 - and that's all I need.

I've owned 3 x 87-89 Toyota 2wd (pickups) and a 89 4x4 in the past - I remember when I was buying those trucks for < $1000 (this was easily 10 years ago) - damn economy and fuel has destroyed the small truck market for buyers - but done wonders for owners haha.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Army Guard 31B
Name: Cam
ClemsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
for that price try going with gm or ford...i almost got an 03 f-150 extended cab lariat package 4x4 for 3k with 160~k mi on it
Old 07-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #9

KaBaL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTacoma View Post
for that price try going with gm or ford...i almost got an 03 f-150 extended cab lariat package 4x4 for 3k with 160~k mi on it
Just don't think I could get myself to go with a ford, I know the small trucks aren't that bad, but just couldn't do it. I could consider a S-10 or something, used to have a 91 s-10, was a decant truck. I just have Toyota in my blood though. 95% of all the vehicles I've owned have been Toyota, I've owned every model from the 80's (trucks, camry, celica, supra, mr2, cresida) haha - so it does come down to loyalty - I've been looking for Nissan as well. Just seems to be horrible timing to need a small truck in this market.

If I could get $13500 out of my 08 tC - I'd simply go get a new one (Toyota Factory Employee Discount)!!!!
Old 07-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBaL View Post
Just don't think I could get myself to go with a ford, I know the small trucks aren't that bad, but just couldn't do it. I could consider a S-10 or something, used to have a 91 s-10, was a decant truck. I just have Toyota in my blood though. 95% of all the vehicles I've owned have been Toyota, I've owned every model from the 80's (trucks, camry, celica, supra, mr2, cresida) haha - so it does come down to loyalty - I've been looking for Nissan as well. Just seems to be horrible timing to need a small truck in this market.

If I could get $13500 out of my 08 tC - I'd simply go get a new one (Toyota Factory Employee Discount)!!!!
i know what your saying...most american cars used arnt the best route to go...are you only going to be driving it to use the dirtbike or will it be a daily driver?
Old 07-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #11

KaBaL's Tacoma Gallery
My 08 tC is my daily driver - hence why I'm going for a cheaper truck - it will primarily only be used on weekends, and probably only every other weekend, and the occasional "hauling" - but the races I go to are sometimes a good 400+ miles away - so I still need something dependable - I can fix it if it brakes or comes broken, but who wants to be working on a vehicle every weekend, I need that time to get my bikes prepped haha.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #12
Quote:
My 08 tC is my daily driver - hence why I'm going for a cheaper truck - it will primarily only be used on weekends, and probably only every other weekend, and the occasional "hauling" - but the races I go to are sometimes a good 400+ miles away - so I still need something dependable - I can fix it if it brakes or comes broken, but who wants to be working on a vehicle every weekend, I need that time to get my bikes prepped haha.
well then id think gm and ford are outta the question...could you get a small trailer and hitch for the tC
Old 07-28-2009, 12:41 PM   #13

KaBaL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTacoma View Post
well then id think gm and ford are outta the question...could you get a small trailer and hitch for the tC
I've thought about that as well, looking at the underside of the tC it "COULD" be possible to mount up a classI hitch of some sorts, would take some fabricating to get around the exhaust, then of course the trailer wiring. I've seen a little xD pulling a small bike trailer down the road before so I'm sure its doable (xD only has about 110hp vs tC 168hp) - the car can most likely handle it.

I've just been trying to avoid that whole scenario though - seems kinda silly in a way. If I become desperate I might go that route but by that time it'll be winter and riding season will almost be over, and then I'll simply save up some more money and go at it again for next season
Old 07-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #14
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
"decant" being the key word there.. There are quite a few 96-98 trucks around here, with a billion miles, and the beds falling off for a couple thousand dollars. So yeah, I know its not something that's going to be easy - but doesn't hurt to ask. And the whole premise - I'm not looking for a 4x4 specifically.. hell a regular cab, 2wd can haul a bike just as well as a 4x4 - and that's all I need.

I've owned 3 x 87-89 Toyota 2wd (pickups) and a 89 4x4 in the past - I remember when I was buying those trucks for < $1000 (this was easily 10 years ago) - damn economy and fuel has destroyed the small truck market for buyers - but done wonders for owners haha.
Honestly...for what you are looking for, a used like 2000 s-10 work truck is exactly what you need. you can find them dirt cheap and they run forever the 2.8 and 4.3 are so mass produced that parts are dirt cheap if you have to do any repairs. My old roomate had a 88 toyota reg cab 4x2 with just AC that he sold for 3500 bucks and people were dying to buy it. It had right at 200k miles, but still a solid truck. and yea...the market for small trucks is huge right now. My GF's cousin is looking for a older 4x4 nissan or toyota truck so im looking too! i know the feeling.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #15

KaBaL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Honestly...for what you are looking for, a used like 2000 s-10 work truck is exactly what you need. you can find them dirt cheap and they run forever the 2.8 and 4.3 are so mass produced that parts are dirt cheap if you have to do any repairs. My old roomate had a 88 toyota reg cab 4x2 with just AC that he sold for 3500 bucks and people were dying to buy it. It had right at 200k miles, but still a solid truck. and yea...the market for small trucks is huge right now. My GF's cousin is looking for a older 4x4 nissan or toyota truck so im looking too! i know the feeling.
Thanks, I'll probably broaden my views if I don't find something within another month. I classify this purchase as a "want" and not a "need" - since it's only going to be used for recreational use (for the bikes). So I can take my time and not make any haste decisions.

And as is, the 5k limit I've imposed is simply a beginning standard. I already know as is, if I find something worth it, and a little higher I "can" go for it, I simply wanted to give myself a starting limit and see whats out there. The first 5k is what has been specifically set aside for a truck, the pocket goes deeper, but if its not needed, they why go..
Old 07-28-2009, 02:05 PM   #16

uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Yea why spend more than you need, a standard 2wd truck would be perfect for you, if anything just because it sits alot lower than a 4x4 or prerunner, i know with my roomates old truck it was pie to get the dirtbikes or a streetbike in the bed, you could about backup to a small hill and roll them right in. with my 4x4 i have to find a steep ditch/bank or resort to my ramps.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #17
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen demand is way up there because of the frame rust recall campaign. 1st gen Tacos will be at a premium. $5K would be a good starting price, it only goes up from there. BTW, it's not spelled "decant", I think you mean "decent". Spelling is one of my pet peeves, sorry.

Decant: \di-ˈkant, dē-\
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: New Latin decantare, from Latin de- + Medieval Latin cantus edge, from Latin, iron ring round a wheel — more at cant
Date: 1633 1 : to draw off (a liquid) without disturbing the sediment or the lower liquid layers
2 : to pour from one vessel into another
3 : to pour out, transfer, or unload as if by pouring
Old 07-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #18
devilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nice

Army: 82D Airborne Div., Infantry Mortar Man, Paratrooper!
Name: Carl
devilsalmostfree's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to devilsalmostfree
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/ctd/1276235669.html
hey man, heres u a 1st gen. not exactly what ur wanting, but its under the $5k ur willing to give!

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/1272126212.html
another tacoma for ya, but in pretty bad shape!

pretty decent here!
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/ctd/1268287915.html

ask this guy what he would take for the tacoma!
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/1262048577.html
Old 07-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #19
blkcoma32 will become famous soon enough

blkcoma32's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 98 4x4 ext cab w/ 115k with rust on the frame i might take 5k for. The rust is fixable