Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade

Notices

Wanted: shell for 2nd gen silver 6' bed

Old 12-30-2009, 06:28 AM   #1
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
Wanted: shell for 2nd gen silver 6' bed

Yes, another one of those 'I want to buy a shell' threads.

My impending move to CO means I need a shell for my long bed crew cab 2nd gen Taco. Have done the usual searches (ie Craigslist) and haven't found much.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Cool Silver Shell

I feel your pain. Up in the Northwest Canopies are pretty standard equipment. Just bought a new 2010 double cab long bed a couple of weeks ago. First I went out thinking to buy a nice canopy for my silver double. Ouch, prices almost hurt. Seems a lot of the canopy places closed down a few years ago and now there are only about half. Means less competition and higher prices. Next was a search on the local classifieds and craigslist. Just not a lot of canopies for the long bed. Expanded my search through out the state and even surrounding states. Finally last week a canopy comes up at the border of the state. I email (should have called instead) and receive no answer. Canopy sold that day. Couple of days later same (black) canopy relists. I immediately email (still doing stupid). A few hours later I finally get my head in gear and call. No answer but the guy emails me back the canopy is for sale for 50 bucks more than original post. Flurry of emails and we work out a meeting. Next day I drive 4 hours to Portland. Nice black Snugtop sitting in his garage. He bought the canopy in the dark. Next morning he realized canopy doesn't fit his regular cab 4x. Walla, I am now the lucky guy with a black canopy for my silver Tacoma double. Drive right home, stopping at Maaco Paint (did this with my last canopy for my F150). For 250 bucks they color match. Long story short. Should have me a sweet canopy today sometime. Cost for SnugTop Supersport canopy 650.00, + 8 hours of driving + about 50 bucks gas + 250.00 for paint = 950.00 actual cash. Savings 1250.00 more for new canopy...
Keep looking, they do pop up periodically. Also, if your headed to Colorado do some searches up there. I did find a canopy in Montana.
Best of luck in your search. Ken
Old 12-30-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckr2 View Post
I feel your pain. Up in the Northwest Canopies are pretty standard equipment. Just bought a new 2010 double cab long bed a couple of weeks ago. First I went out thinking to buy a nice canopy for my silver double. Ouch, prices almost hurt. Seems a lot of the canopy places closed down a few years ago and now there are only about half. Means less competition and higher prices. Next was a search on the local classifieds and craigslist. Just not a lot of canopies for the long bed. Expanded my search through out the state and even surrounding states. Finally last week a canopy comes up at the border of the state. I email (should have called instead) and receive no answer. Canopy sold that day. Couple of days later same (black) canopy relists. I immediately email (still doing stupid). A few hours later I finally get my head in gear and call. No answer but the guy emails me back the canopy is for sale for 50 bucks more than original post. Flurry of emails and we work out a meeting. Next day I drive 4 hours to Portland. Nice black Snugtop sitting in his garage. He bought the canopy in the dark. Next morning he realized canopy doesn't fit his regular cab 4x. Walla, I am now the lucky guy with a black canopy for my silver Tacoma double. Drive right home, stopping at Maaco Paint (did this with my last canopy for my F150). For 250 bucks they color match. Long story short. Should have me a sweet canopy today sometime. Cost for SnugTop Supersport canopy 650.00, + 8 hours of driving + about 50 bucks gas + 250.00 for paint = 950.00 actual cash. Savings 1250.00 more for new canopy...
Keep looking, they do pop up periodically. Also, if your headed to Colorado do some searches up there. I did find a canopy in Montana.
Best of luck in your search. Ken
Thanks. I have been keeping an eye on the classifieds for a while to no avail. I want one for the actual move so searching in CO is kinda pointless.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
AZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
AZBACKCOUNTRY's Tacoma Gallery
I just started looking on PHX- it sounds like a long road to find one... but hopefully something will materialize. i found a sweet one on CL in Orlando -(of course). My 1998 tacoma had one and my 89 before that. Just bought a 08 AC and just feels naked without! Good luck and I'll let you know if I come across one!

Arizonabackcountry
Old 12-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
brandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Brandon
brandob9's Tacoma Gallery
Try craigspal. It searches any selection of CL servers you choose. I picked anything west of the 110th parallel.

I lucked out and found mine about 4.5 hours away, a Leer 100R for $700. That was a savings of $400 over new, and about $900 over what I really wanted.

On the plus side, the LB bed in silver is the most common config of the 2G Tacos. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:04 AM   #6
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Craigspal question?

[quote=brandob9;1267855]Try craigspal. It searches any selection of CL servers you choose. I picked anything west of the 110th parallel.

Question regarding Craigspal. I went to the site and there is a 29.00 fee to purchase. It looks nice but the primary reason for using craigslist is it's free. Is there a free site similar or would we bestuck purchasing software from this site? thanks Ken
Old 12-31-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
brandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Brandon
brandob9's Tacoma Gallery
They have a free version as well. Try this:
http://craigspal.com/Download-CraigsPal
Old 12-31-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
Brianone20 is on a distinguished road
Name: brian
Brianone20's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2006 crew cab long bed in Silver. I will sell you my snug top if I can. My truck was rolled over and I think it's a total loss. The cap wasn't on it thankfully! It has solid windows with the flip open smaller windows at the rear of it. It has the sliding front window so you can reach in from the truck. That front window also folds down for easy cleaning in between the truck and the cap. Not sure what you're looking to pay, it's in good shape at 2 years old. Got some scratches that would prob buff out, but no damage and the light inside works as well. PM me if you want to make an offer.

Oh and a good aggregate search site for craigslist is http://www.searchtempest.com/
Old 12-31-2009, 07:05 PM   #9
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
try craigshelper.com or org
Old 01-06-2010, 07:15 AM   #10

So I found a company in Phx that has a new ARE V series cap in stock for $1,100.

Anyone have one of these? What did you pay?
Old 01-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #11
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Cap/ Shell/ Canopy in Phx

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersharp View Post
So I found a company in Phx that has a new ARE V series cap in stock for $1,100.

Anyone have one of these? What did you pay?
Not a bed price depending on how equipped. when I started my search about the cheapest price in the Northwest was 1,500 for entry level cap/canopy. Just recently purchased a used SnugTop through Craigslist. By the time I got the canopy home and painted to match my truck I have about 900 bucks invested. Still a bargain considering new in this area goes for about 2,100 after tax. K
Old 01-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #12
T-REX
ninorth is a splendid one to beholdninorth is a splendid one to beholdninorth is a splendid one to beholdninorth is a splendid one to beholdninorth is a splendid one to beholdninorth is a splendid one to beholdninorth is a splendid one to beholdninorth is a splendid one to behold

Name: Nick
ninorth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ninorth Send a message via Yahoo to ninorth
When looking for a shell is there any other truck shells that fit tacomas or do I need to get one that was off a tacoma? I have no clue about shells
Old 01-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #13
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
shell info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninorth View Post
When looking for a shell is there any other truck shells that fit tacomas or do I need to get one that was off a tacoma? I have no clue about shells

There might be someone online who knows, I surely don't. Try talking with a shell dealer but they probably won't give you all the info as they want to sell you one of theirs. While I haven't measured my truck bed width or shell I had heard they bed width tapers from front to rear. Ken
Old 03-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #14
Brianone20 is on a distinguished road
Name: brian
Brianone20's Tacoma Gallery
My shell is for sale, search my name and you will see my post. My truck was totaled after the insurance company tried to fix it. The cap was not on it. It's a silver 6 foot bed.
530-448-0095
Brian
Old 03-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianone20 View Post
My shell is for sale, search my name and you will see my post. My truck was totaled after the insurance company tried to fix it. The cap was not on it. It's a silver 6 foot bed.
530-448-0095
Brian

Thanks, but I am no longer looking for a cap. I'm sure you'll have no problem selling it.