Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade

Notices

ARE or LEER camper shell

Old 02-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
tacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomathunder's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomathunder
ARE or LEER camper shell

hey guys i was looking for an ARE or LEER camper shell for my 2007 taco 6ft bed, in the indigo ink pearl color... local please
Old 02-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
why not snugtop? theyre built better
Old 02-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
tacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Jerk View Post
why not snugtop? theyre built better
never heard of it....are they good?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomathunder View Post
never heard of it....are they good?
really? theyre like the leader haha http://www.snugtop.com/

just the mechanics in the locking mechanisms are heavier duty and stainless steel....
Old 02-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #5

Quote:
really? theyre like the leader haha http://www.snugtop.com/

just the mechanics in the locking mechanisms are heavier duty and stainless steel....
they look real nice....do you know the average price on these?? are they about the same in price as the LEER or ARE's?
Old 02-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #6
Panda Jerk

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
they look real nice....do you know the average price on these?? are they about the same in price as the LEER or ARE's?
well their highest end one the supersport (the one i have) is around $2,300.00 not cheap... BUT the dealer was telling me toyota wento them and said if (not verbatim but you get the idea) "if youre gonna put caps on our trucks you have to go by OUR bodylines and use OUR paint." and of course that was a big seller.... and just teh overall quality is way nicer than a.r.e. firstoff... (no offence to a.r.e. owners) and comparing the SnugTop to Leer is like comparing BMW to Lexus... theyre both nice but BMW's have things that make it nicer.. same thing with snugtop and leer, snugtop just has things that makes it nicer... my color matches PERFECTLY. I got the truck in Oct 07 and i got the cap in june 09 and the paint was like it came from the factory.

now for some pics of my SnugTop Super Sport

Old 02-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
Panda Jerk

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so all of the snugtops are painted by toyota..... and even their cheap one is nice?
they use toyotas paint or whatever....

and if you look at leers locking mechanism for the window... its like a cord.. you can cut it with like wire cutters.... and i saw that on the 100xq their nicest one..

snugtops is a stainless steel like.... bar thing... ill go snap a pic and show it to you
Old 02-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #9

Quote:
they use toyotas paint or whatever....

and if you look at leers locking mechanism for the window... its like a cord.. you can cut it with like wire cutters.... and i saw that on the 100xq their nicest one..

snugtops is a stainless steel like.... bar thing... ill go snap a pic and show it to you
that'd be great to see
Old 02-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Jake, you need to do the BHLM.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #11
geolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of light

geolink's Tacoma Gallery
Guess you need some ARE & LEER input .....
but I am chiming in for SnugTop, my CabHi suits me fine.
Their traditional model. I liked the 6 point mounting, stout hardward/fasteners, and the (ha!) snug fit. Think I got a deal at $1400. Thule rails system was extra.
Magnetic Grey perfect match on my 09 LB.
Different door latch system than Panda's (think his is a cam lock?). This system is a dual bar on rotating plate. Also the windows are sliders.

PS: These are more common/available/popular out west I think.

Lots more threads on the topic - good luck!
Old 02-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #12
wmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant future

Name: Wes
wmflyfisher's Tacoma Gallery
ARE's are VERY nicely built. I would compare them to snugtops. Look at around $2100 for the Z series and the lines look better than the snugtop to me. Both are amazing tops though.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
sportnobadges is a splendid one to beholdsportnobadges is a splendid one to beholdsportnobadges is a splendid one to beholdsportnobadges is a splendid one to beholdsportnobadges is a splendid one to beholdsportnobadges is a splendid one to beholdsportnobadges is a splendid one to behold
sportnobadges's Tacoma Gallery
A.R.E. owner comment

what are you going to use your shell/cap for? this is an MX model from A.R.E.
it has a little extra height for crawling in and out and I ordered the 'windoors'
for the sides for easy access. no problem with the color matching. I think
A.R.E. uses Toyota colors also. when I ordered it they asked for the color
I.D. # from the driver's side door jamb to be sure of the color. Pyrite Mica.
so far so good.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #14
jbwatson is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Name: Jeremy
jbwatson's Tacoma Gallery
Too bad yours is blue. I have an A.R.E MX series for sale (desert sand) in Florida. That and I just noticed yours isn't access/double cab.