Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade

Notices

Yakima Outdoorsman 300 (MD)

Old 04-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
Tim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant future

Air Force: TSgt
Tim A's Tacoma Gallery
Yakima Outdoorsman 300 (MD)

I bought this a couple weeks ago from a 1st Gen Tacoma owner with the intention of modifying it (to fit my 2nd Gen's bed) and putting a canoe on it...but the canoe and/or modification never happened and I've ordered an Inno rack that will just hold some bikes. Description and pics below...asking $250...local sale only. My location is near Annapolis, MD...PM any questions.

The system consists of (2) Yakima Outdoorsman racks and (2) 66" Yakima cross bars...retail on all this is ~$450.

As you can see (and as Yakima admits) there's no way to mount this to the 2nd Gen without modifying either the rack or the truck. If you're handy with a welder then you could get some 3" angle iron and fab up something that would rest on the bedrails and slide along in the rail system.

You wouldn't mistake this for new but despite the cosmetic flaws it's completely functional.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
eschonle is a jewel in the rougheschonle is a jewel in the rougheschonle is a jewel in the rough

Name: eric
eschonle's Tacoma Gallery
looking good dude!
Old 04-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
eflatlander is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
eflatlander's Tacoma Gallery
Rack

All you have to do is drill a hole in the bottom of the rail track for the J hook and they work fine!
Good luck with your sale!
Old 04-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
Tim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant future

Tim A's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschonle View Post
looking good dude!
Thanks and just to clarify how those j-hooks work:

-there's a bracket for each J-hook (not shown, but still included if you buy the rack from me)

-the J-hook reaches under the bed rail (a sturdy bed rail, that is) and inserts into the bracket

-by tightening the nut on top, pressure is applied to the bracket which sandwiches the bed rail between the angle iron of the rack and the bracket.

-on a sturdy bed rail (not like the 2nd Gen's plastic one) this sucker is rock solid
Old 04-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #5

Tim A's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflatlander View Post
All you have to do is drill a hole in the bottom of the rail track for the J hook and they work fine!
Good luck with your sale!
Right but there's no clamping force being applied and the whole thing would be flimsy no? Not sure if there's a good way to modify this for a 2nd Gen...but I'm no engineer.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
Rack

Yakima Outdoorsman 300 (MD)-tacoma-rack-pic-040110.jpgThis works for me. I have hauled two 17' trippers several hundred mile this way.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #7

Tim A's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Attachment 55089This works for me. I have hauled two 17' trippers several hundred mile this way.
Interesting...when the whole thing is on the truck and put together etc. does it flex side-to-side much?
Old 04-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
Rack

You have to get it pretty tight,but I can rock the whole truck with the rack!
Old 04-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #9

Tim A's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You have to get it pretty tight,but I can rock the whole truck with the rack!
Alright thanks man and if no one buys it at least I'll have an excuse to go canoe shopping!
Old 04-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #10

Tim A's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks to eflatlander for showing me his mounting method for this rack...it's no longer for sale!
Old 02-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #11
MachinesOfGreen is on a distinguished road
MachinesOfGreen's Tacoma Gallery
Hi,

this picture is really helpful, got a couple follow up questions....

is your J-Hook perpendicular to the bed rail?

is the tower standing straight up?

Does your J-Hook hole go entirely through the utility rail or does the end of the J-Hook stop at the top of the utility rail?

I tried this method and was not able to get my towner standing straight up...it was bowing the to fifteen degrees into the truck bed and I could not get the bracket to sit straight.