1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

bike rack... sort of

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade' started by brow, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Jun 4, 2010 at 8:32 PM
    brow

brow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    So when I traded in my camry for my tacoma I kept the roof rack that i used to haul my mountain bikes around on. Out of boredom last week I frankensteined some pieces togther and came up with a good way to make a bike rack out of the random pieces I had that attatched directly to the front rail of the 2nd gen tacomas.

essentially it comes down to U-bolts and washers in the bed rail, a bar from the bike rack, a fork mount from the bike rack, and a couple of mounting points from the u-bolts to the bar. It works well, and fits under my tonneau cover so I never need to remove it.

If anyone in the minneapolis/northwestern wisconsin area is interested I can throw some picks up of the one I have on my truck and show you how to install the extra one I have on yours. I live in a tiny apartment and need to get rid of this thing. Not looking to ship this anywhere, local only.

I'm not looking to make any money, but I wouldn't turn down a 6-pack in exchange.

2. Jun 5, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    sam_i02

sam_i02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Samir
    Kanata, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner AccessCab
    BHLM, Satoshi grill, D-rings, Relentless Fab recovery shackle, DRL, Firestone RideRite airbags, WO seatcovers, added temp gauge, custom interior lights.
    would like to see pics. I just got a tonneau and need to get creative about mounting my bike.
    I will be visiting the Minneapolis - LaCrosse, WI area 2 wks from now, so this may work out if i like the design you have come up with.

3. Jun 5, 2010 at 8:38 AM
    brow

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    heres some pics of the spare parts I have, and the one I currently have one my truck.

as far as the spare parts go, you would need a few random washers and nuts, a couple bucks worth at a hardware store.

Also I only have one extra complete fork mount attatchment, for some reason I am missing half of the mounting plate for the other one, you can have both, and it would be pretty easy to make a wooden block for the other half of the partial mount that would make both useable. This would allow two bikes at a time to be carried

With this set up I still make sure I tie down the rear wheel, I did the extra d-ring mod and the location workd out almost perfectly for this.

Since Sam was the first to respond, he's got dibs if he wants them.

First pic is the extra parts you can have, second is mine with one of my bikes mounted, third is a close up of the parts mounted on my truck

rack1.jpg
    rack2.jpg
    rack3.jpg

4. Jun 5, 2010 at 9:16 AM
    torreypines

torreypines Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 RC
    Tonneau cover
    Sent PM.

5. Jun 5, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    brow

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    sale pending on the 18th of June, will notify if it does not go through

6. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    sam_i02

sam_i02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Samir
    Kanata, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner AccessCab
    BHLM, Satoshi grill, D-rings, Relentless Fab recovery shackle, DRL, Firestone RideRite airbags, WO seatcovers, added temp gauge, custom interior lights.
    Andy - look fwd to meeting you on the 18th!

7. Jun 5, 2010 at 12:37 PM
    McJosh

McJosh avidoffroad.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    2005 Reg. Cab 5 lug Tacoma
    Pioneer AVH-p2300DVD, 12" Memphis sub and Alpine MRP-M650 amp, 32" BFG AT tires and KMC wheels, tinted windows, satoshi grille w/ stainless steel mesh, Avid front & rear tube bumpers, Cobra wx75 CB with 3' firestik, GaragePro bucket seats, FlowMaster 40 series, aFe CAI, Black head lights, LoJack and Autopage alarm installed, Avid sliders.
    100th Post. :woot:

Products Discussed in

To Top