Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade

Notices

FYI: Woot.com selling new Alpine double din unit today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
widget [OP] widget is offline
Member
widget is on a distinguished road
 
widget's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2010, #30264
Location: TN
Gender: Male
Posts: 76
widget's Tacoma Gallery
FYI: Woot.com selling new Alpine double din unit today

Just thought I'd pass along seeing where woot.com has an Alpine IXA-W404 for $199.99 + $5 shipping today. Looks pretty nice and I'm sure it 's a good piece and will save about $50 or more off what most people are selling it for.

http://www.woot.com/

Alpine IXA-W404
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
Member
toyotacoma is on a distinguished road
Joined: Feb 2009, #13459
Location: Fort Collins
Gender: Male
Posts: 231
toyotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
that does look like a great deal.
i just wish i didn't already have an aftermarket stereo
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
Senior Member
calaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant future
 
calaniz0312's Avatar
Name: Carlos
Joined: Apr 2010, #35772
Location: Mission, TX
Age: 29
Gender: Dude
Posts: 370
calaniz0312's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome and a great deal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
xJuice's Avatar
Name: Josh
Joined: Oct 2007, #3208
Location: North DFW
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,687
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotacoma View Post
that does look like a great deal.
i just wish i didn't already have an aftermarket stereo
Agreed
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
Senior Member
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
headhunter247's Avatar
Joined: Oct 2008, #10013
Location: St. Louis, MO area
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,235
headhunter247's Tacoma Gallery
Heard those are discontinued for issues with them...fyi.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
Senior Member
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
David Tarantino's Avatar
Joined: Jun 2008, #7428
Location: N.J.
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,142
David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter247 View Post
Heard those are discontinued for issues with them...fyi.
thank you i was going to jump on it
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
Member
taco2408 is on a distinguished road
 
taco2408's Avatar
Name: Marcos
Joined: Jul 2009, #20231
Location: San Antonio, TX
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 89
taco2408's Tacoma Gallery
headhunter do you know what kind of issue..I was thinking of getting one too
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
Senior Member
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Nov 2008, #10567
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,312
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
looks like a good price for that unit, although it appears to lack cd capability.

here is a quick review from cnet on it. biggest complaint they had was the touch screen and the complication.

http://shopper.cnet.com/in-dash-car-...16.html#info-1
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
Senior Member
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
headhunter247's Avatar
Joined: Oct 2008, #10013
Location: St. Louis, MO area
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,235
headhunter247's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco2408 View Post
headhunter do you know what kind of issue..I was thinking of getting one too

I just looked it up on amazon, and googled and found some see below. Also, it mentioned that you have to buy add on stuff for functionality. Hey-- I could be wrong here, you know how feedback is, but might not be worth the cost....

I have been an avid car audio enthusiast for 20 years and have always had the latest and greatest, but have never considered a Pioneer product for much of anything. I recently needed a double sized unit for a new Jeep Wrangler at the beach and initially went with the Alpine ix w404 because it has the big knob which is great in a bouncy Jeep. But the interface with the ipod was VERY slow, it frequently would lose track of where it was in a song/playlist, sometimes would not charge the phone, etc. all the while not even having a CD player, EQ, or sub crossover! The low voltage outputs made the music quiet from the factory amp interface, not to mention with no crossover offered for the sub it was muddy. Only a 2 band EQ means no tweaking the sound to an acceptable level. Most single DIN radios from other companies have far better features, acoustics, sound quality, and functionality than this double DIN unit, not to mention they also can play a CD!

The pioneer 4200dvd makes it sound like I put in a few amps and new sub just by the head unit alone with the excellent EQ, sub crossover, easy setup, super fast ipod access which can be controlled both from the ipod and the head unit touch screen (something the big brands don't offer) not to mention playing cds, dvds, sds!

Don't waste your time with THIS alpine, there is a reason it has been discontinued!

OR

Okay, let me first state that this is the third Alpine deck I have purchased and the others did not give me anywhere near as much trouble as this one did. First the good points:

- Its Alpine, so much like coveted Apple devices its intuitive, so you don't feel the need to pore over the manual before you launch out of the parking lot.

- It sounds really good. Especially when pushing Bose speakers.

- Good customer service (you'll understand in a minute).

Now for the frustrating part:

- What Alpine negelects to mention and the crux of my disappointment with this deck is that the firmware updates for this and the 400BT (Bluetooth Device) have to done using a PC... I own a Macbook Pro. Even with the PC side of my MBP (Windows XP) trying to push the updates, no dice. Pretty key point you omitted, there Alpine.

- The deck has been replaced for me by Alpine once already because it kept freezing up after about an hour when attached to my 2nd Gen iPod Touch. I had the iPod checked out by Apple just to be certain it wasn't the culprit... nope, its the deck. Even now with the second (improved) deck installed, it still happens way to frequently for what I paid for this thing when it first came out.

- The 400BT and deck combined have issues recognizing my phone for the hands free operation. I own a Motorola Droid, I phone I recognize was released AFTER the deck was made, but we refer back to complaint #1 whereas had the system been made to work with any bluetooth capable computer I'd have been able to load the most updated firmware so that it COULD recognize the newer phone.

This will be the last time I purchase an Alpine product if this is how far their quality standards have fallen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
Senior Member
calaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant future
 
calaniz0312's Avatar
Name: Carlos
Joined: Apr 2010, #35772
Location: Mission, TX
Age: 29
Gender: Dude
Posts: 370
calaniz0312's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter247 View Post
I just looked it up on amazon, and googled and found some see below. Also, it mentioned that you have to buy add on stuff for functionality. Hey-- I could be wrong here, you know how feedback is, but might not be worth the cost....

I have been an avid car audio enthusiast for 20 years and have always had the latest and greatest, but have never considered a Pioneer product for much of anything. I recently needed a double sized unit for a new Jeep Wrangler at the beach and initially went with the Alpine ix w404 because it has the big knob which is great in a bouncy Jeep. But the interface with the ipod was VERY slow, it frequently would lose track of where it was in a song/playlist, sometimes would not charge the phone, etc. all the while not even having a CD player, EQ, or sub crossover! The low voltage outputs made the music quiet from the factory amp interface, not to mention with no crossover offered for the sub it was muddy. Only a 2 band EQ means no tweaking the sound to an acceptable level. Most single DIN radios from other companies have far better features, acoustics, sound quality, and functionality than this double DIN unit, not to mention they also can play a CD!

The pioneer 4200dvd makes it sound like I put in a few amps and new sub just by the head unit alone with the excellent EQ, sub crossover, easy setup, super fast ipod access which can be controlled both from the ipod and the head unit touch screen (something the big brands don't offer) not to mention playing cds, dvds, sds!

Don't waste your time with THIS alpine, there is a reason it has been discontinued!

OR

Okay, let me first state that this is the third Alpine deck I have purchased and the others did not give me anywhere near as much trouble as this one did. First the good points:

- Its Alpine, so much like coveted Apple devices its intuitive, so you don't feel the need to pore over the manual before you launch out of the parking lot.

- It sounds really good. Especially when pushing Bose speakers.

- Good customer service (you'll understand in a minute).

Now for the frustrating part:

- What Alpine negelects to mention and the crux of my disappointment with this deck is that the firmware updates for this and the 400BT (Bluetooth Device) have to done using a PC... I own a Macbook Pro. Even with the PC side of my MBP (Windows XP) trying to push the updates, no dice. Pretty key point you omitted, there Alpine.

- The deck has been replaced for me by Alpine once already because it kept freezing up after about an hour when attached to my 2nd Gen iPod Touch. I had the iPod checked out by Apple just to be certain it wasn't the culprit... nope, its the deck. Even now with the second (improved) deck installed, it still happens way to frequently for what I paid for this thing when it first came out.

- The 400BT and deck combined have issues recognizing my phone for the hands free operation. I own a Motorola Droid, I phone I recognize was released AFTER the deck was made, but we refer back to complaint #1 whereas had the system been made to work with any bluetooth capable computer I'd have been able to load the most updated firmware so that it COULD recognize the newer phone.

This will be the last time I purchase an Alpine product if this is how far their quality standards have fallen.
That sux. I was really interested. Thanx for the info.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #12
Senior Member
Muy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Muy Grande's Avatar
Name: John
Joined: Feb 2009, #14111
Location: Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,329
Muy Grande's Tacoma Gallery
It has a Faceplate.

I believe this has a faceplate.....that in itself might be worth it. I currently have a Double DIn and hate the fact that it does not have a faceplate I can take off. Something to consider and not all reviews were bad.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double Din Head Unit halfway72 2nd Gen. Tacomas 22 12-04-2011 08:43 PM
Best Double Din head unit TonkaToyTaco Audio & Video 7 11-17-2011 09:32 PM
Installing A Double-Din Head Unit ShawnR Audio & Video 9 10-10-2011 01:54 PM
Alpine IVA-W505 Double Din hookedontronics Buy / Sell / Trade 7 05-16-2011 09:42 PM
FS: Alpine CDA-7995 Single Din Head Unit Ecapvegas Buy / Sell / Trade 0 05-09-2010 07:33 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.