Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Buy / Sell / Trade (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy-sell-trade/)
-   -   WTB: Driver side door panel (only need armrest section, will take all) (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy-sell-trade/108059-wtb-driver-side-door-panel-only-need-armrest-section-will-take-all.html)

erion109 08-13-2010 03:13 PM

WTB: Driver side door panel (only need armrest section, will take all)

I'm looking for a driver's side interior door panel for my 2006 Tacoma. I really only need the plastic elbow/arm rest section if you feel like drilling it out. Mine is cracked to hell and Toyota wants about $500 for a new door panel. Please keep your eyes open for me.

-Jayson

js06taco 08-14-2010 01:10 AM

i had this problem too. just pull it off put some fiberglass behind it and it works fine.

Kyouto42 08-14-2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by js06taco (Post 2062822)
i had this problem too. just pull it off put some fiberglass behind it and it works fine.

This, there's a fair amount of people that do it as a preventative measure too.

erion109 08-15-2010 06:42 AM

I've never really worked with fiberglass, but I'm sure I can do some searching on here and find a description in full detail to include pictures. This is why I love TW! Thanks!

Kyouto42 08-15-2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erion109 (Post 2065643)
I've never really worked with fiberglass, but I'm sure I can do some searching on here and find a description in full detail to include pictures. This is why I love TW! Thanks!

It's pretty easy. Just pick up some fiberglass strips, resin, and prep the area first. Prep with some rubbing alcohol or such to clean it up good, put on the resin, add fiberglass strips, more resin, strips, ect. Do a kind of cross hatch pattern for added strength. You can get most of this at a marine supply store, probably even home depot/lowes also.

Make sure when you cut the fiberglass (or work with it) to wear a mask or respirator. When you cut it, you're sending little shards of glass in the air you're breathing in... lungs don't take to kindly to that. The resin is pretty potent smelling too but I don't think it's very harmful though.

05 TRD Sport 08-15-2010 08:54 AM

Mine cracked while it was still under warranty and Toyota replaced the entire door panel (reused my switches, speakers and stuff).Makes me think the entire door panel had to be replaced or Toyota would have gone with the cheaper route. Out of warranty? I'd go with the fiberglass fix.

js06taco 08-26-2010 06:12 AM

like kyouto said, just clean the area real good, i sanded a little bit just to make sure i got a good grip, just added a strip at a time and its solid as a rock to this day, been about 7-8 mnths now

T@co_Pr3runn3r 08-26-2010 07:18 AM

While you're at it do the leather or neoprene wrap mod for it. I will do combo reinforcement and wrapping when I get over being too fucking lazy or it becomes a high enough priority........