1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma or BUST/ Break the bank?

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade' started by PudgiesinWaverly, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Oct 27, 2011 at 7:31 AM
    PudgiesinWaverly

PudgiesinWaverly [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pudge
    Jersey Mountains
    Vehicle:
    No truck yet
    I have a personal conflict about buying a new truck right now. My Nissan Sentra has 160,000 miles on it and I am waiting for it to die. Chances are it will take me to 250-300,000 miles though. Except I am getting pumped about a new vehicle and a pickup truck to boot.

I can afford the truck right now after paying mortgage, bills, etc. without having to put down a down payment on a Double Cab Sport Long Bed. However I wouldn't be able to save as much, of course.

Does anyone know a good rule of thumb or reasoning for savings vs. buying a new truck. When does the truck cost too much?

If I go by my wife she thinks I deserve what I want and she knows I won't break the bank selfishly. So let's keep responses to concrete objective numbers. % cost of mortgage/car payment/savings etc.

2. Oct 27, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    I say make sure you have 3-6 months or more of your take home pay in your savings account before buying a new truck.

3. Oct 27, 2011 at 7:34 AM
    Sport11

Sport11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kingsport, TN
    Vehicle:
    Dodge Ram 1500
    shouldn't this be in the 2nd gen section :D

4. Oct 27, 2011 at 7:37 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I've heard several opinions on this but ultimately it depends on what your comfort level is. You have a house that you're responsible for including all repairs. Would buying the truck drain your savings to the point where you'd be screwed if say your water heater crapped the bed (if you even have one obviously). I try to put away 25% each month to keep building my savings. I also adjust my retirement contributions so that keeps growing also. Your age and family planning plays into this also, are you getting ready to retire or are you young, just starting out and expect your income to increase over the next 5 years? Your old Nissan is high mileage, is it costing you a lot in repairs? If so, that would offset what you'd be paying on a new truck that's got a clean bill of health and a warranty. I'm not a financial planner, just throwing out some things I considered before purchasing my Tacoma.

5. Oct 27, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    PudgiesinWaverly

PudgiesinWaverly [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pudge
    Jersey Mountains
    Vehicle:
    No truck yet
    All valid points. I'm busting because I am impatient, cause if I was patient I would be happy about having to wait a year or two to buy. Too bad it holds its resale value so well cause I would but used, but used is just as pricy in the mileage range.
    Thanks for the tips. I'll consider them frequently.

Products Discussed in

To Top