1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory 55 ProLinks

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade' started by KiltedRonin, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    KiltedRonin

KiltedRonin [OP] Poor Impulse Control

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronin
    Silver Spring, MD.
    Vehicle:
    2011 access cab, MGM, leer 180.
    Just getting a feeler out. Have a winch? Either synthetic or steel cable, these will work for up to 3/8ths line. Made to fit tight and use a 3/4 shackle instead of the slip hook that normally comes on winch line. The group buy would be for the "loaded" version, meaning coming with the titanium pin and the rubber baseplate cover. Will work with either roller or hawse fairleads.

Here are some pictures of the ProLink.

[​IMG]

Here are the different colors you can get
    [​IMG]

There is also a grey one that is pictured here (just cause its the color I want)
    [​IMG]

The advantages of winching with a Prolink and a screw pin shackle over a conventional winch hook are many :

1. Screw pin shackles are up to 5X stronger than conventional winch hooks
    2. Conventional hooks are too small to safely fit both ends of a recovery strap
    3. Recover straps cannot slip out of a shackle like they can with hooks
    4. Hook safety latches are not rated for loads and can tear recovery straps
    5. Conventional hook surfaces add higher stresses to recovery strap fibers, resulting in decreased strap ratings
    6. Shackles can be quickly removed and stowed away until needed for winching.
    7. Hooks do not cinch neatly against fairleads and are prone to rattling and loosening
    8. Conventional winch hooks are designed for chains – not commonly used recovery straps
    9. Engineered, Tested, and Made in USA — Patent Pending
    10. Stress analyzed using COSMOS FEA and destructively tested for confirmation
    11. Billet construction — precision machined from 6061-T6 Kaiser Aluminum round bar
    12. 16,000 pound max load rating
    13. Fits all steel cables and synthetic ropes up to 3/8" in diameter
    14. Fits eyes equipped with standard or tube thimbles to 3/8 inch diameters
    15. 1.2 inch shackle tab thickness virtually eliminates "shackle rattle"
    16. Optional Massive 5/8 inch diameter 6Al-4V Titanium double shear pin
    17. Optional EPDM "Rubber Guard" protects alloy Hawse fairleads — rubber barb attachment
    18. Can be installed and removed in minutes — simple snap ring removal
    19. Cinches neatly against all types of fairleads — Hawse or Roller

I'm aiming for 135.00 shipped to anywhere CONUS

INTEREST?
    I need 10 people for the group buy to get the price.

1. Slimwood Shady

2. Dec 27, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    lol. good stuff. - i'll leave the pics here for you too for a size comparison. - also with the addition of the XXL, they will fit ANY width line...

3. Dec 27, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    Deadcrowm

Deadcrowm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ventura County
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 TRD
    Camper shell, bed kit, tires
    Got to get my winch first but I'm so into this kind of stuff!

4. Dec 27, 2012 at 7:37 PM
    Slimwood Shady

Slimwood Shady I love your mom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Tundra; 996TT; '16 Odyssey
    #nomods
    I am down, but depends on when the money is needed...if you need the money after the 15th, I am all in :D

5. Jan 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Is this still happening?

6. Jan 7, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    barlowrs

barlowrs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Build Thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/builds/74926-barlowrs-06-taco-expo-build-thread.html OME Lift, FJ SE Wheels, 255/85 KM2, Allpro Plate Bumper, 8K Winch, Synthetic Line, Yaesu FT-8800R, Custom Sliders Sockmonkey bedside decals, BHLM, base model grille, TRD offroad (black) trim
    Probably interested depending on price

7. Jan 7, 2013 at 5:58 PM
    KiltedRonin

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronin
    Silver Spring, MD.
    Vehicle:
    135.00 shipped conus. Its still good till next Monday, that's when he's gonna come up with a coupon code for me to give y'all.. Pm me if interested, I'll get you a link and the coupon code.

I have one person interested out of the 10 we need.

8. Jan 7, 2013 at 6:07 PM
    KiltedRonin

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronin
    Silver Spring, MD.
    Vehicle:
    Bump for an awesome product.

I've made a post about this group buy on my local forum too, need ten people total, hoping to get some bites there too.

9. Jan 12, 2013 at 11:27 PM
    peteness13

peteness13 Member

Member:
    Fort Benning
    this still going on?

10. Jan 12, 2013 at 11:37 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Only problem I have with these is that you can only put pin of your bow shackle through. There is times when you need to put the bow through, and you can't. Makes for a sketchy recovery.

11. Jan 13, 2013 at 1:53 PM
    barlowrs

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Build Thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/builds/74926-barlowrs-06-taco-expo-build-thread.html OME Lift, FJ SE Wheels, 255/85 KM2, Allpro Plate Bumper, 8K Winch, Synthetic Line, Yaesu FT-8800R, Custom Sliders Sockmonkey bedside decals, BHLM, base model grille, TRD offroad (black) trim

The bow should never go through the winch line.

12. Jan 13, 2013 at 3:51 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Why is that?

13. Jan 13, 2013 at 6:18 PM
    barlowrs

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    The basic answer? if you have a single line (which your winch line side is always a single line) in the bow, it is possible for it to rotate and have a side pull on the shackle as rather than a strait pull. The bow side is made for the "multiline" side (whatever is attaching to your winchline), such as a tree strap, thick snatch strap, etc. Obviously it is not always a multiple line attachment, for example if adding an strait extension, however, in that case, it makes no real difference, so why would you mix it up?, just stick with the standard of pin to winch. (There is a LOT more to it than this, but this is the basic answer. I suggest taking some recovery classes if you are really serious about diving into it).

In addition, you should always have enough shackles that if you do have some random equipment that requires the pin on the other side (such as a pulpal), you should be able to put shackle to shackle, so you still maintain your pin to you winch line. I have never seen a circumstance where it is needed to reverse the shackle on your line, and I have had a lot of recovery exp.

Hope that makes sense?

Odds are you will never have a problem if you do it the other way, but there is a higher chance, and when doing a recovery, there is a LOT that can go wrong, so its best to minimize your as much risk as you can.

14. Jan 13, 2013 at 6:45 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    That's that I thought you may say. But this was the only option, the bow of the shackle wouldn't fit through the recovery point on this pathfinder, so I had to put the pin through their recovery point. If I was hooked up to a strap, absolutely would I have put the strap through the bow. I carry multiple shackles, and lots of other goodies. I've taken recovery safety courses and would never to anything unsafe out there. Preformed hundreds of safe recoveries as well. Not say I know it all of course, but I'm no rookie to this.

15. Jan 13, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    barlowrs

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    So Cal
    Vehicle:

Yes that is one circumstance where I could see someone needing to do that, as most attachment points on vehicles are designed for the pin to go though. But typically, when doing a vehicle to vehicle recovery with winch, I will leave my shackle on my winch line as is, and run a second shacked to the other vehicle, so the load path is basically:

"winch line" -> "pin (Shackle 1)" -> "bow (Shackle 1)" -> "bow(shackle 2)" -> "pin (shackle 2)" -> "Vehicle Rec Point"

It's also the same if you are doing a double line pull on my own vehicle...I end up having to double the shackle on the anchor point as my anchor points on my bumpers only allow for pin clearance.

Anyway, I think we both have a good understanding of it all, lets not clutter this thread. Be safe out there and have fun!!

Products Discussed in

To Top