1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Inclinometer/Altimeter

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade' started by Cannikin, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Jan 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM
    Cannikin

Cannikin [OP] Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    San Marcos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad
    You may have seen the thread over in the 2nd Gen Tacomas section where I put together a little digital inclinometer for myself. It got so much interest that I decided to really polish it up and make it available for everyone!

It has an inclinometer as well as an altimeter. It also contains additional sensors I'm not using yet, but the hardware is upgradable so you'll be able to take advantage of them as they come online (the main chip is removable and can be re-programmed or simply replaced with another with updated software).

Here's a walkthrough of all the features:

http://youtu.be/K6dUlgzl_pc

You can pick one up at my shop: http://store.camerontech.io They come as a parts kit (you solder together yourself) for $100 or I can pre-assemble them for $25 more. They're also available with two different screens: 4 different colors of LCD with backlight (dimmable) and 3 different OLED screens. The OLED screens are an extra $10. Because you guys have been so supportive while I was building this thing you can use the coupon code TACOMAWORLD at checkout and get 20% off.

There is no enclosure yet but that's next on my list of things to build. It will probably be a couple of months (at least) until I've got something ready. I'm thinking either something you can velcro to the top of the dash or suction cup to the windshield.

This thing is open source meaning that the hardware designs and software are all available for free so you don't have to buy one from me: you can get all the parts and build it yourself. I'm a software developer during the day and open source is very important to me. It's based on the Arduino platform (also open source).

2. Jan 20, 2014 at 12:58 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    That thing is sweet

GLWS

3. Jan 20, 2014 at 1:09 PM
    757 Taco

757 Taco StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCLB TRD Sport Premium 4x4 Ice Cap
    - Digital Fit WeatherTechs - Recovery Hitch Shackle - LED Map Lights - LED License Plate Bulbs - TRD License Plate Brackets - Front Recovery Shackle - Toyota Bed Mat -OEM Mudflaps -OEM Black emblem overlays - Removed front air dam - Goodyear Duratracs 265/75/16 - TRD Pro wheels
  4. Jan 20, 2014 at 1:13 PM
    MY50cal

MY50cal ---- Tread Lightly ---- Leave No Trace

Member:
    First Name:
    Mojo
    Camden County, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PM RC / 05 SWB AC (RIP)
    Yep.
    Very cool Rob!
    Look forward to the enclosure ideas

GLWTS!

5. Jan 20, 2014 at 1:13 PM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    stop making me spend money.

[​IMG]

6. Jan 20, 2014 at 5:38 PM
    Boomtacoma01

Boomtacoma01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houston
    Very cool indeed. Would look nice on the a-pillar of my roll cage.

7. Jan 20, 2014 at 9:08 PM
    tri2hunt

tri2hunt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    Moscow, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4x4
    I should have waited two days to get the tacomaworld discount? This will be cool and useful when installed.

8. Jan 20, 2014 at 9:14 PM
    Cannikin

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    San Marcos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad
    I had the coupon code in my initial post on the other thread dude, did you miss it? PM me your order number and I'll PayPal you the 20% back. :)

9. Jan 21, 2014 at 7:42 PM
    tri2hunt

tri2hunt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    Moscow, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4x4
    I probably did miss it, but thinking about it I am not worried about it. It is totally worth the full price! Thanks for developing something useful..
    Hope you sell a ton of them!!

10. Feb 23, 2014 at 1:22 PM
    Kendall01

Kendall01 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kendall
    Greenwood SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    lifted, 20" Enkei Wheels, Chrome Bull Bar
    Great item. I'm interested in one . Have you made any other changes? Where would this be mounted? Is it similar in size to the compass/ thermometer? Could one of these handle those functions as well?
    Thanks

11. Feb 24, 2014 at 4:14 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Very cool. Would be nice to be integrated into the factory clock position under the stereo.

12. Feb 24, 2014 at 6:35 AM
    bigtex2884

bigtex2884 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner
    Retro Projectors, tinted tails, nfab nerf bars, avhp4000dvd, kicker 700.5, 2 8" comps, full components front and back, scangague 2, HID Fogs, Muth Mirrors, 5100s front, 90000s rear. Maxtrac spindles, all pro expo pack, level 8 tracker 16" x 8 1/2
    Do I need this for my street queen no.... but do I want it...hell yes

13. Feb 24, 2014 at 6:43 AM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    What programmable chip are you using?

14. Feb 24, 2014 at 6:53 AM
    Pepe98

Pepe98 Love moding vehicles as hobby

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    SR5 that's begging for mods
    1st Update: 500 miles Rugged Ridges Matts, Dimming rear view mirror with comp/temp, AeroForce Tech Interceptor Gauge, Aeries Professional Bull and Nerf bars, LED Lighting complete in-Cab, LED DRLs, AMP Bed Xtendr, Extang Trifecta Signature Series Tonneau, Rigid Ind LED Lighting 30" E and 20" SR series, Rigid LED Grill insert, Katskinz Leather Interior, Custom 100amp Electrical Sub Panel x2 (Engine bay and Interior), custom vinyl bed side, interior accent lighting galore (Oznium), OTTRAW, switches, under hood lighting, Red Line Elite hood struts, Power Pop-n-Lock, Under Bed Rail Lighting (switched), Custom Tinting... More to come
    Sub'd, thinking of ordering now but should I wait for enclosure, Hmmm. Does the control switch have anyting to mount? Is it like the Dimmer swith like on our Tacos?

I could fab something for the unit, just concerned about the switch, but this thing is awesome and is an immediate buy for me. I will going with the pre-assembled with the OLED just like the one in the video. Just need to know about the switch.

Thanks for doing this for us. You must have a big Brain!

15. Feb 24, 2014 at 10:30 AM
    Cannikin

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    San Marcos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad
    Mounting options are still up for grabs...over on the other thread you can see one dude dremmeled his dash and put it behind there. Another guy took out the factory thermometer cluster in the overhead console and mounted it there.

This board does have a compass sensor on board, unfortunately it's returning crazy readings. I think it's due to the way the sensor is mounted in relation to everything else on the board...too much interference. It would probably need an external sensor mounted somewhere away from any metal in the truck itself.

Several people have mentioned tapping into the stock thermometer and hooking it up to here. It's on my list of things to look into, but it doesn't currently support it. The sensor has a temperature gauge built in, but it's not very accurate due to the fact that the sensor itself heats up when it powers on. Plus if you mount it in your dash there are all kinds of weird heat sources back there that will throw it off. I added a temperature menu item so you can read the sensor if you want, but don't count on it being the actual cabin temp. :)

16. Feb 24, 2014 at 10:32 AM
    Cannikin

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    San Marcos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad
    It's using the same chip as an Arduino: the ATMEGA328-P. I actually use an Arduino to program it.

17. Feb 24, 2014 at 10:42 AM
    Cannikin

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    San Marcos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad
    I'm glad you like it!

The switch has a couple of mounting holes in it so it should give you a few options, but where you put it is pretty open to interpretation. I'm building a little unit that goes into the overhead console sunglasses pocket. I drilled out a tiny slot for the switch and then a bigger hole in the back that'll fit the circuit board it's mounted to. I'm just going to use hot glue in the back there to hold it in place:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Feb 24, 2014 at 11:02 AM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    Cool. I have a programmer for those. I might even have some of those kicking around. So if I were to go ahead with this, would you email me the program file?

19. Feb 25, 2014 at 5:20 PM
    Poolstick

Poolstick Well-Known Member

Member:
    Can you give the dimensions on the screen and on the board?

Also, how hard would a different switch be? That one seems hard to mount feasibly.

20. Feb 26, 2014 at 11:19 PM
    01Tac0ma

01Tac0ma Bash Fabriction & Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    SAS 01 TRD 4x4
    Look at build!

Products Discussed in

To Top