1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade' started by ski, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Dec 13, 2009 at 12:21 AM
    ski

ski [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi everyone, new member here. I'm looking at a 2007 Taco for sale and I need some advice.
    Really clean, low mileage, trd offroad, 4" inch lift, 285 BF all terrains. During test drive, as it hit about 60mph, (95km/h) the steering wheel began to shake a bit. Also, allignment was clearly off a little; driving straight the wheel was tilted somewhat to the left (though didn't pull side to side).

Vehicle is being sold at a non-toyota dealership who bought it at some kind of auction.

My worry is that maybe the previous owner did something bad to it that's now causing these front end problems.
    I don't know too much about Tacomas but I would assume that you'd have to do something fairly radical to F up the allignment?
    Or is this a fairly common problem that could result from normal driving?

Thanks a lot!

2. Dec 13, 2009 at 12:29 AM
    4low2go

4low2go Well-Known Member

Member:
    Coatesville, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 RC 4x4 5sp MGM
    Curt hitch, OBX Shift
    Welcome to TW! Look really close at the front end, fenders, doors for signs of a previous accident, paint off color etc. Check out the front tires for heavy wear, might need rotating.

3. Dec 13, 2009 at 12:30 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    depending on how the front is lifted and 2wd vs 4wd....if u get above 2.5" lift w/o being a drop bracket or lift spindles u have to replace the UCA's to get the alignment back in spec. if u can post pics of the front suspension, we may be able to help or point u in a better direction

4. Dec 13, 2009 at 12:31 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    since the vibrations/shims are at high speeds, it may just need tire balancing. As far as alignment goes, I f'd up my alignment after two offroading trips (total of ~ 12 hours of driving) so it doesnt seem to be too hard to f the alignment up. Still check for any signs of accidents though.

5. Dec 13, 2009 at 12:33 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    yup.^^ didnt think of that too, maybe the truck is using stock UCAs with some sort of coilover lift or something like that.

6. Dec 13, 2009 at 12:55 AM
    ski

ski [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks a lot for the replies!
    I'm not familiar what was done to lift it but I'll try to head over and get some pics. Actually, the rear tires were showing signs of cupping, maybe they were on the front previously.
    Just sketches me out that there are two problematic symptoms happening at once...
    Oh yea and it's 4x4

Products Discussed in

To Top