1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Slow shipping = double buying parts :(

Discussion in 'Camelback Toyota Parts' started by XXXX, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Nov 22, 2013 at 8:36 PM
    Shauncho

Shauncho Embrace your inner Bro-ness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none
    Lol ok that was funny. :)

2. Nov 22, 2013 at 8:37 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    :D

3. Dec 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I'm replying simply because I'm a developer for ERP systems and I'm familiar with how these processes work and what it's like from the business' side.

First, the OP is confusing the term 'lied'. 'Lied' implies that there was a conscious, intended effort to not tell the truth. I don't see evidence where Jorge took action to directly do this.
    If anything, the system Jorge's company uses provided factual information based on the amount of notifications it was supposed to send to the customer. Unfortunately, the system's messages gave a misleading picture of the full shipping process: it left out mentioning order fulfillment time. It's a shortcoming of the system, and not anyone's fault - the original developer just didn't account for this scenario.

There's considerations all companies make to determine how much data to send a customer, how to send, and when the customer is asking for impossible/unreasonable solutions.

It's nice when you can get it, but that sort of message is actually pretty complex to pull off.
    You have to have a warehouse system that can provide on-demand estimations of outed product, which needs to consider:
    -quantity on hand
    -quantity on existing order

After that it needs to determine:
    -time it takes to restock the product from the supplier (build time, travel time, shelving time)
    -can we fulfill the order based on the quantity coming in from the supplier? This brings up questions about ship-in-full vs. partial shipment possibilities
    -can the item be cross docked? (can it ship out as soon as it arrives, or will it be put away in the warehouse first, then picked to shipping?)
    -can we ship vendor direct?
    -when the product arrives, will anyone be working at that time? How long before they start, and how long before the product is ready to ship?
    -When is the next route going to be able to process the package to the customer? How long is the route time? Is there any hand-off times?

I'm probably forgetting other factors...

This is compounded by the number of warehouses we own and if we can use alternative warehouses. This is further compounded if we have alternate vendors, substitute products, or multiple ship route opportunities.

The easiest solution is for the operations department to determine product lead time estimations based on historical trends. They can then assign those lead times to a determine how long it takes to arrive. A simpler message would be:

"Item X is currently out-of-stock and is back ordered. We expect Item X to arrive at our warehouse in Y days, and will be processed by order fulfillment no later than the end of the next business day. Based on the [shipment method] shipping method you selected, please expect Z days for the product to arrive If this delay is unsatisfactory, please contact us at [...] for further instructions. Otherwise, the item will be shipped as described above."

It's unfortunately the growing trend in society. The customer demands faster, better, cheaper, and wreaks havoc if it doesn't work the way they want. Even if a company makes up for an oversight by bending over backward, the customer simply grunts at them and moves on. No apologies, no thought about lost sales they caused or employees they trampled. Eh, drama is over and time to get more same day air products with free shipping.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  4. Dec 18, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    XXXX

XXXX [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    You can talk about "society" all you want, but I have nothing to do with that and resent the comment if your referring to me. I support small mom and pop stores when i can and never buy from Amazon nor expect same day air drops by drones :laugh:. It's off topic and ridiculous to even bring that up in here. Personally I'd rather spend my money with vendors who support causes I find near and dear to me that communicate well. Heck I got three e-mails from Wheelers after placing a order this weekend and last I knew they are the small shop that's closed 3 of 7 days.

Since I'm in here might as well say that I got a RGA# from Camelback and returned the products to them on my dime and upon receipt they refunded my money unexpectedly. Props to them for the refund, but they could of kept it. I didn't return them to get my money back. - I had zero use at that point.

So flame away some more :bowdown:

5. Dec 18, 2013 at 7:38 PM
    Shauncho

Shauncho Embrace your inner Bro-ness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none
    Holy fuck, dammit people!!! Fuck this, I'm OUT!

I fuckin swear...people...they just don't fuckin listen...you try to help them out and they mouth-poop all over you...

6. Dec 18, 2013 at 8:27 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    :laughing:

7. Dec 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    The word you are looking for is 'oversight', which Jorge confessed to. From what I read, he saw the issue and clicked a button on his system to give you an automated response notification, assuming that the notification would include proper information on the issue. As a user, he may never have seen the contents of the email message, his screen might have only said, "backorder notification email sent."
    I'm not absolving him from blame in this regard, but I think you can see how Jorge's actions or inactions are not performed in malice.

So... Toyota corporate, its supply chain, and individual site support would be considered small :confused:

Since I don't have any sales figures from them and I'm guessing their shipping presence, I can't provide you with any level of accuracy. I deal with companies that are only concerned with distribution so the volumes are going to be different. However, I'm considering that since they are shipping to me and you, they are processing multi-state orders, including local needs within the service center. Their model would be high number of orders with low number of line items. It could be anywhere from several hundred to several ten thousand orders depending on their distribution focus.

Your business didn't generate the same revenue, and could easily be muscled out by a competitor with more advanced sales and inventory tactics. Where do you think all the Mom & Pop stores went?
    You were probably wasting money on manpower, resources, and inventory space without realizing it. At some point in your company's growth, there would be a breaking point where the order volume would become unmanageable and personal responses would interfere with actually getting the product out. You would eventually have to turn away business.

An automated or semi-automated system would probably have reduced the time you spent on dealing with customer service and shifted your abilities towards increasing order fulfillment speed. You could also reduce the number of workers needed, increasing your profit margin. Reducing workers means less office equipment, so less capital invested. Additionally, an automated system would have the possibility of informing you of potential outs, lead times, and ways to increase just-in-time shipping tactics. Also, the system could reorganize and reduce inventory space to increase fulfillment speed by moving fast moving products to better locations, optimized picker routing through the warehouse, and betting cubing of packages.
    I once helped implement a new software system for a clothing distribution company. The new software helped them realize a change in their racking layout, and as a result, they sold 1/3 of their warehouse space and increased sales at the same time.

However, software systems are not foolproof and need ongoing maintenance. You happened to find a bug and were inconvenienced. The real test is to see if the bug is solved and how customer service manages your account.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  8. Dec 19, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    justchil

justchil Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    WV
    Vehicle:
    13 AC TRD OR
    Until Amazon Prime has all the OEM parts one could want you should plan a little better lol. Why would you order 2 days before you need a part with 3 day shipping :D

9. Dec 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    XXXX

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

The owner of the company just bought a Viper that he takes around the country racing. Pretty sure it's a profitable business. After I left it's still being run by ONE person.

Keep it simple man.

10. Dec 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    XXXX

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

comprehension is key. try it sometime :rolleyes:

11. Apr 4, 2014 at 11:20 AM
    tony2018

tony2018 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had to reply even though its an old thread but people need to understand. If you are in dire need call it in and see if they have it in stock. If you're in no rush than order it and if they have it in stock they will ship, if not they will need to order it before shipping anything to you. If you notice there are multiple oem suppliers online and I'm sure they don't stock all parts in-house, some will need to be ordered. Its really dire need than stop by your local dealer and chock up the cash and they'll have it for you a day or two. Its almost about the same if you had ordered it online but dealerships can get it to you quick, or to cover your ass just ask them when they will have it by and have them check there warehouse. Some times they have to have it shipped from another warehouse to get it.

Products Discussed in

To Top