Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > CameronTech

Notices

Building a digital inclinometer

View Poll Results: What display color do you prefer?
White on black 27 23.48%
Yellow on blue 1 0.87%
Red on black 38 33.04%
Black on green 8 6.96%
OLED Blue on black 37 32.17%
OLED Yellow on black 4 3.48%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #142
Cannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
Cannikin's Tacoma Gallery
Production Update

The prototype looks great, hardware wise:

For the software I'm working on an inclinometer calibration mode. Each sensor seems to be a little different in its readings for pitch and roll so I'm adding a mode where you can rotate the sensor by hand in all directions and then save those measurements. That should make the sensor much more accurate than if I just tried to ship it with a default setting.

I'm also adding the default display mode of pitch, roll, altitude and compass all on one screen. This seems like the most obvious function this thing should perform, but until Drunknsloth mentioned it above it never occurred to me! I had a separate screen for each function. Duh. So you'll still be able to view only one at a time, but the default will be the "multi" view.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #143
theallpowerfuljon is on a distinguished road
Name: Jon
theallpowerfuljon's Tacoma Gallery
I'd do it with a 3 or 4 line Amber LCD and try to make it look OEM...
Old 11-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #144
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
OP, we need to chat. I own a company that designs and builds arduino-based bomb props for paintball/airsoft/lasertag etc. I took the arduino architecture and created my own boards, now loaded with 12v/5A input for power so I can run them with those 12v power wheels batteries and power air horns and large sirens. The boards include the chipset, leads out to the keypad and LCD or OLED screens (I prefer green on black because it has a bad-ass military look), leads out to sirens and blinking lights, and input for either a low amperage 9v battery pack OR that 12v 5A input. Dimmer pots are also mounted on the backside of the board. The total board is the same size as an arduino UNO but is much more robust with more features for higher power handling.

I'm good at the manufacturing part. I get my control panels manufactured in Phoenix near where I live, and I have my boards made out of Colorado. I use 4 line screens right now, but changing to a 2 line screen is as simple as some code changes, obviously. My boards have 4 strong mounting holes (one on each corner) to put them wherever needed. However, I'm not as strong in the coding department except for what I've learned in the last 3 years.

Here's our newest project, near completion for production. Just tweaking some logo etching on the faceplate and some final details.

http://www.precisionmayhem.com/executive.php
Old 11-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #145
DHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to behold

DHwreckage's Tacoma Gallery
i voted OLED Blue on Black because it is the same as the ultra gauge which i have. some having them match would look much better than having a bunch of different colored screens
Old 11-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #146
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Subd. OP this has been needed for a long time on this forum. I'd rather have this permanent multi use inclinometer than an app any day. I am very interested in purchasing a final product when/if you make it available. Looks like you have really thought all of this through. Give yourself a pat on the back from all of us at TW for pursuing this.
Thank you, -Taco Dan
Old 11-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #147
Scotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud of
Name: charley
Scotty3's Tacoma Gallery
at work at the moment and have not had a chance to read through all of the thread yet but I have a few questions: Is this going to replace the OEM compass/Temp board? How much will this be and is this an install for someone that is not very electrical savvy?

I hate the stock orange color and have been trying to figure out a way to change it. This is just a bonus to have the inclinometer as well.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #148
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
I voted white on black because it matches OEM lighting for 2012+. Too bad you can't do a dual screen that turns white on black for day-mode and red on black for night. But im guessing that would jack the price up also lol.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #149
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdevTac View Post
I voted white on black because it matches OEM lighting for 2012+. Too bad you can't do a dual screen that turns white on black for day-mode and red on black for night. But im guessing that would jack the price up also lol.
These little LCDs can't do that, unfortunately. The best they can do is dim, but that's another bit of coding and a switch over to a second circuit with a different resistance. Not a hard add, but color changing can't happen with these types of screens.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #150
Cannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Dan View Post
Subd. OP this has been needed for a long time on this forum. I'd rather have this permanent multi use inclinometer than an app any day. I am very interested in purchasing a final product when/if you make it available. Looks like you have really thought all of this through. Give yourself a pat on the back from all of us at TW for pursuing this.
Thank you, -Taco Dan
Thanks man! They'll be up for sale soon. I've got a couple boards going out to beta testers and then it'll be ready for the real world!
Old 11-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #151
Dizo is on a distinguished road
Name: Oliver
Dizo's Tacoma Gallery
Still waiting for my parts Damn shipping time to the north is a killer.

Rob, can you add a cheaper shipping option on your site for us Canadian folks? I'd like to grab one of your switches and 20$ for shipping seems a bit steep for something you can toss in an envelope and ship as a letter. I'm trying to mock up a plastic switch holder to go in place of the stock temperature/compass switch that looks mostly stock and still allows the three directions of motion your switch requires. I've got access to a 3D printer through my work, so I should be able to make it happen once I get my hands on a switch.

I'm going for the bone-stock look, so my vote is for Red on Black (amber-ish).
Old 11-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
These little LCDs can't do that, unfortunately. The best they can do is dim, but that's another bit of coding and a switch over to a second circuit with a different resistance. Not a hard add, but color changing can't happen with these types of screens.
Yeah, I've got brightness dimming on these (except for the OLED screens) but I haven't found any that change color. There is one with an RGB backlight, so you can change the background color, but the text is always black on that one.

With the white on black screen the LED white and that's what shows through the LCD where the text is. You wouldn't think it would be a big deal to replace that white LED with and RGB LED and then you'd have color changing text. Haven't seen it yet, though.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:54 AM   #154
Nmwill is on a distinguished road

Name: William
Nmwill's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed!! I want one so bad. Self contained that has a mount similar to the ultra gauge would be awesome.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #156
mrschulte is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
mrschulte's Tacoma Gallery
subbed
Old 11-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizo View Post
Still waiting for my parts Damn shipping time to the north is a killer.

Rob, can you add a cheaper shipping option on your site for us Canadian folks? I'd like to grab one of your switches and 20$ for shipping seems a bit steep for something you can toss in an envelope and ship as a letter. I'm trying to mock up a plastic switch holder to go in place of the stock temperature/compass switch that looks mostly stock and still allows the three directions of motion your switch requires. I've got access to a 3D printer through my work, so I should be able to make it happen once I get my hands on a switch.

I'm going for the bone-stock look, so my vote is for Red on Black (amber-ish).
You're right, sticking something small in an envelope is a lot less than $20. I was just looking at flat fees for the USPS priority mailers. I'll add a cheaper option on there and PM you when it's ready!
Old 11-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahshiet View Post
Will these be sold completed and assembled?
Phase 1 will be bare electronics, but you can buy them pre-assembled by me.

Phase 2 will be in an enclosure, probably wood/aluminum/leather since that's what I have the ability to work in the garage. Molded plastic would be the must flexible it terms of design options, but we're talking lots of money to get molds made. If this thing is a huge success then maybe that'll be an option down the road.

Phase 2 will probably be sometime in the first quarter of next year. Phase 1 will hopefully begin by the end of the year.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #159
stihlfoursix_0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstihlfoursix_0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstihlfoursix_0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstihlfoursix_0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstihlfoursix_0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstihlfoursix_0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstihlfoursix_0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstihlfoursix_0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstihlfoursix_0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstihlfoursix_0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstihlfoursix_0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
stihlfoursix_0's Tacoma Gallery
RAD
Old 11-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #160
Ahshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ahshiet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannikin View Post
Phase 1 will be bare electronics, but you can buy them pre-assembled by me.

Phase 2 will be in an enclosure, probably wood/aluminum/leather since that's what I have the ability to work in the garage. Molded plastic would be the must flexible it terms of design options, but we're talking lots of money to get molds made. If this thing is a huge success then maybe that'll be an option down the road.

Phase 2 will probably be sometime in the first quarter of next year. Phase 1 will hopefully begin by the end of the year.
Thanks! I will be checking in here and there till then

Products Discussed in this Thread