Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > CameronTech

Notices

Building a digital inclinometer

View Poll Results: What display color do you prefer?
White on black 27 23.48%
Yellow on blue 1 0.87%
Red on black 38 33.04%
Black on green 8 6.96%
OLED Blue on black 37 32.17%
OLED Yellow on black 4 3.48%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
Cannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
Cannikin's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb Building a digital inclinometer

IT'S READY!

After months of tweaks and testing it's finally ready! See the announcement here (including shipping dates): http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post8026489 You can purchase one right here: http://store.camerontech.io/products/offroad-cpu

UPDATE

Here's a video of the latest functionality (it started pretty simple in this first post but got better and better as time went by):

http://youtu.be/M7zv6X-uASA

And here it is mounted:

http://youtu.be/zKCZhjRfuSc

I've been working on a digital inclinometer for my 2012 Tacoma:

I plan on mounting it in the sunglasses holder in the roof console. I've open-sourced the code and build instructions here so anyone can make one (with a little soldering and computer skills): https://github.com/cannikin/arduino_inclinometer

Feedback welcome! Version 1.0 is only the inclinometer. Version 2.0 will have an altimeter as well.

Version 1.0 includes the inclinometer, altimeter and compass in one unit!

Rob
Old 09-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
gjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud of

Air Force: 1st Recon Squadron
Name: Jerry
gjacobsjr's Tacoma Gallery
very cool!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, you have my attention..
Old 09-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Cannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Okay, you have my attention..
heh The plans and code are available for anyone to build themselves, but I was thinking of putting some together and selling them as a kit for those that don't want to go through the work of buying the parts and assembling everything manually. Think I'll have any takers?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
obscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud of
obscurotron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannikin View Post
heh The plans and code are available for anyone to build themselves, but I was thinking of putting some together and selling them as a kit for those that don't want to go through the work of buying the parts and assembling everything manually. Think I'll have any takers?
Got a taker here. Are you going to use a separate sensor for altitude, or use the onboard air pressure from CAN-OBD to generate that value? Either way, very cool piece of equipment.

Sub'd.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส
dYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dyl0n
dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
You, sir, can make a profit if you put your mind to it
Old 09-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Does it beep and make a lot of noise right before roll over?
Old 09-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
I play with arduino a bit in the form of autopilots... interesting use...
Old 09-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be interested. I always wanted a nice inclinometer, without having to use my phone or those cheapo ones. I have zero electronics experience.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #15
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I'd totally rock v.2 with an altimeter.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurotron View Post
Got a taker here. Are you going to use a separate sensor for altitude, or use the onboard air pressure from CAN-OBD to generate that value? Either way, very cool piece of equipment.

Sub'd.
I'd use a dedicated barometer sensor that has a standard digital output that I can read with my monitor. Something like: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11282
Old 09-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Does it beep and make a lot of noise right before roll over?
Right now it doesn't, but in my idea drawer I had the ability to add pitch/roll warnings at a given degree that the owner could specify. Do you have any idea if there are published rollover angles for Tacomas or other off road vehicles?
Old 09-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #18
obscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud of
obscurotron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Right now it doesn't, but in my idea drawer I had the ability to add pitch/roll warnings at a given degree that the owner could specify. Do you have any idea if there are published rollover angles for Tacomas or other off road vehicles?
Very bad idea. Picture this:

You add the feature.

Billy Bob McFuknut gets one of your gizmos and heads out to romp. Rolls his truck because the thing didn't beep to 'warn' him, and he dies.

Family/widow/inbred children sue you.

You wish you'd never been born.

Or, if you insist, incorporate or form a limited liability entity (LLC, LLP, etc.) and obtain some amount of insurance. See how a great idea suddenly doesn't seem so great? Thank the lawyers and the lack of tort reform.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #19
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurotron View Post
Very bad idea. Picture this:

You add the feature.

Billy Bob McFuknut gets one of your gizmos and heads out to romp. Rolls his truck because the thing didn't beep to 'warn' him, and he dies.

Family/widow/inbred children sue you.

You wish you'd never been born.

Or, if you insist, incorporate or form a limited liability entity (LLC, LLP, etc.) and obtain some amount of insurance. See how a great idea suddenly doesn't seem so great? Thank the lawyers and the lack of tort reform.
Good lord how limp the world has gotten...can he not just say "use at your own risk"? seriously what the hell. Just have me sign a hold harmless agreement if it is that serious, and I'll still buy one.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #20
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Awesome idea and write-up Rob! I got my bro an arduino synth kit for Christmas last year and he loved it.

I haven't seen any published rollover angles, nor have I seen specific angles (from Toyota) about the RSC deployment.

Though I did read that with RSC enable, they will deploy @ 40°, or they will deploy @ 60° when the "RSC-Off" button is pressed. (unconfirmed)