1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

driving tires through the border..

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Elliebarley1978, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Jul 8, 2011 at 8:22 AM
    tig1

tig1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Saint John,New Brunswick,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    n fabs,window visor tonneau ,bilstein 5100's all round.245/75R16Toyo A/T II
    well a buddy of mine at work told me this when I said ,I was going to take a trip down.he said he offroads with a friend who got dinged at the border.I'll flag him down again at work and get him to confirm his buddy's story.like everything else on this web site I take it with a grain of salt.

later tig1

2. Jul 20, 2011 at 10:17 PM
    kite

kite Well-Known Member

Member:
    Squamish, BC
    Vehicle:
    Red Truck
    It's true that they could potentially charge tax on the whole truckq if modifications are done to it. However, this is an old policy/protocol or whatever and would likely never be acted on. I'm close friends with a CBSA agent and he said he had never heard of this happening to anyone.

If you get busted, they will likely just give you the standard fine.

3. Jul 21, 2011 at 8:06 AM
    tig1

tig1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Saint John,New Brunswick,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    n fabs,window visor tonneau ,bilstein 5100's all round.245/75R16Toyo A/T II
    :yay::canada: that about says it all!

later tig1

4. Jul 21, 2011 at 10:45 PM
    Dustyroades

Dustyroades Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    Anyone know what they actual duty would be on a set? If it's only $50 I say play it safe and declare them, you are still coming out way ahead.

5. Sep 7, 2011 at 6:42 AM
    elicitone

elicitone Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario
    For those in the Toronto area. There is a great tire place. Steelcase Tire. They are fantastic guys and will do there best to match any price you find on line. Or at least get it close enough to make it not worth the drive and the stress.

On a side note. After working several years in the car business I can tell you that almost all tire manufactures sell to authorized dealers for %50 of the list price. So don't be afraid to haggle! So that $450 MSRP Mudd Terrain is only costing your local tire shop $225. Their discount gets bigger if they are a really high volume shop to boot.

They all hate loosing business so just haggle and bitch and be ready to walk out the door if they don't want to discount.

6. Sep 8, 2011 at 10:42 PM
    bermslider

bermslider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Squampton, BC
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab 07 TRD Sport
    K&N Air Filter. 17" XD Revolvers wearing Hankook Dynapro ATM's 265/70/17 treads. Bilsteins in the Front set at 1.75". Debadged. Tail lights tinted.
    I'm about to have a set of fresh treads sent to my US mailbox, fully mounted on my new rims. I plan on declaring them when I come back across but does anyone know what the duties are if they decide to charge me. I have no doubt I will cop taxes. It's still cheaper! Should I do some other shopping as well? I'm thinking of just grabbing the new rims and treads, throwing them in the back of the truck and heading back.

Any thoughts?

7. Sep 9, 2011 at 12:39 AM
    kite

kite Well-Known Member

Member:
    Squamish, BC
    Vehicle:
    Red Truck
    There should only be tax and enviro fees if the tires are made in the US (which I assume they are). Enviro fees are $5 per tire. Tax will be 12%.

Go to Harbor Freight in Bellingham if you're down there. Tons of cool stuff.

-fellow Squamish resident.

8. Sep 10, 2011 at 3:51 PM
    bermslider

bermslider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Squampton, BC
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab 07 TRD Sport
    K&N Air Filter. 17" XD Revolvers wearing Hankook Dynapro ATM's 265/70/17 treads. Bilsteins in the Front set at 1.75". Debadged. Tail lights tinted.
    Thanks for the info Kite! My shipping box in out it Sumas, just to avoid the hecticness of downtown Van. But I will be sure to check that place out next time i'm in B'Ham.

Where in Squamish are you?

9. Sep 14, 2011 at 9:33 AM
    kite

kite Well-Known Member

Member:
    Squamish, BC
    Vehicle:
    Red Truck
    Right on the Smoke Bluffs. Red access cab.

10. Oct 18, 2011 at 5:49 AM
    LMR

LMR GO JETS GO

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    In The True North
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma DCSB TRD
    Shorty antenna, Weathertech digital fit, tonneau cover
    Stay in the States for 72 hours and you can bring back $400 worth of stuff per person. Make a vacation of it!!

11. Oct 18, 2011 at 6:18 AM
    Norcan

Norcan What we don't have we make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Elora, ON Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    Bakflip F1, BakBox, Sportwing Colour matched door mouldings, Weathertech floor liners, Toyota running boards,Toyota Hood Deflector,Pop N Lock power tailgate lock, Custom Otterbox defender mount for IPhone 4, Blu Logic Large button kit, BonGiovi DPS, fog light on with parking light low beam and high beam mod, TRD Exhaust, Muth heated signal mirrors, Liquid Metal Rhino Wheels in Black!, Redline Elite hoodlifts, EZ down tailgate,
    Seriously guys i have done this many times. If they don't ask are the tires new don't tell them!!!!!!

Find a dirt road or some mud to drive through so they don't look new. Take ALL your paper work from your new tires and mail it to your self. Who is to say you didn't just buy the tires before your little road trip to the USA??? No paper on you as proof.

Make sure to claim your case of beer and all will be good.

12. Oct 18, 2011 at 6:22 AM
    Norcan

Norcan What we don't have we make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Elora, ON Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    Bakflip F1, BakBox, Sportwing Colour matched door mouldings, Weathertech floor liners, Toyota running boards,Toyota Hood Deflector,Pop N Lock power tailgate lock, Custom Otterbox defender mount for IPhone 4, Blu Logic Large button kit, BonGiovi DPS, fog light on with parking light low beam and high beam mod, TRD Exhaust, Muth heated signal mirrors, Liquid Metal Rhino Wheels in Black!, Redline Elite hoodlifts, EZ down tailgate,

If they are made in the USA or Mexico you will be on the hook for GST/PST or HST depending on where you are. Stay 48 hours to get your $400 allowance. Have your hotel bills handy to avoid being sent inside.

Products Discussed in

To Top