Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

Experiences on buying A US Vehicle

Old 01-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
rob01 is on a distinguished road
rob01's Tacoma Gallery
Experiences on buying A US Vehicle

With the dollar on par looking to buy a 2009-11 Tacoma in the States. What experiences have you guys had with bringing it across the border. Did you have to do many mods and how was the paperwork.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
sam_i02 is on a distinguished road

Name: Samir
sam_i02's Tacoma Gallery
I brought my Taco over from the US in July 2010. Overall it was a smooth experience.

When you buy one, make sure you get a "Recall Clearance Letter" from the dealer in the US. This is one of the items RIV Canada will ask for. It is just a simple letter on dealer letterhead stating that the vehicle has no open recalls.

Mine was an 05, so I had to do the DTRL mod. And that was it.

Took it to Crappy Tire for an inspection, they signed it off and i got my title in the mail in 5 days. Done deal.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
When you get the RIV form, it'l say that if it's equiped with a "LIFT KIT" call RIVimmediately so beware of that
Old 01-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
kite will become famous soon enough

kite's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck911 View Post
When you get the RIV form, it'l say that if it's equiped with a "LIFT KIT" call RIVimmediately so beware of that
You're not allowed to import a vehicle with a lift kit. If they don't catch it at the border, they will during the inspection. I have a friend who is a CBSA agent and he tells he it's not uncommon to have people removing lift kits in their parking lots.

I imported my truck a few months ago and it went mostly smooth. After I got into Canada, the truck had to sit in my driveway for two weeks while Toyota mailed me a revised safety decal on baby seat mounting - my only outstanding recall. Once I got my decal, I took the truck to the dealer to have them put it on and give me an invoice for the completed recall, then off to RIV and my truck was inspected, registered, and insured by the end of the day.

Other than that, it was easy. My truck is the fourth car my family has imported from the US. Savings are usually between $4000-10000.

Here is a post my Dad made on a different forum going over the whole process: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/w.../#post10034875
Old 04-28-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
abnewfie is on a distinguished road

Name: Art
abnewfie's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking to do the exact same thing! I've been pricing the new ones, the savings is there but not like it was 2 years ago! Just my luck, I guess!!
Old 04-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
Engine is on a distinguished road

Engine's Tacoma Gallery
Ditto. My plan is to buy new (or very close to new) this coming Fall...assuming the exchange rate holds. Fly to US and drive it home. Import process is a piece of cake.

(I'm in newf as well).
Old 04-29-2011, 04:42 AM   #7

You won't be able to buy from a dealer unless you have an american address I believe!
Where in Newfie? I now live in Paradise!!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:55 AM   #8
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnewfie View Post
You won't be able to buy from a dealer unless you have an american address I believe!
I'm betting paying cash trumps that.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:20 AM   #9

Engine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnewfie View Post
Where in Newfie? I now live in Paradise!!
St. John's

I have one option currently to buy new in US. Won't get the same price as an American would but still significant savings at existing exchange. PM if you'd like more info.

Otherwise, the best/easiest route is if you happen to have a trusted relative or friend residing in US. Flow title through them from the dealership (technically a used vehicle to you..but who cares). Most if not all US Toyota dealerships couldn't care less if you're Canadian as long as their asses are covered...
Old 04-29-2011, 09:46 AM   #10

You maybe on to something there...
Old 04-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #11
kite will become famous soon enough

kite's Tacoma Gallery
You may run into problems buying new from a Toyota dealer as a Canadian in the US. Toyota USA goes to great lengths discouraging dealers to sell to Canadians. Typically, you will need to go through a third party buyer (might charge around $1k) who will then sell it you.

Good luck.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #12

Engine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kite View Post
You may run into problems buying new from a Toyota dealer as a Canadian in the US. Toyota USA goes to great lengths discouraging dealers to sell to Canadians. Typically, you will need to go through a third party buyer (might charge around $1k) who will then sell it you.

Good luck.
Yep. I've contacted a bunch of them and get same reaction. Can't sell new but we have great used models...

Hence why we will not get the same deal as an American buyer on new.....unless you have a "broker" who happens to be your sister/brother/uncle/buddy who lives in US....