Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

Tax Time! - Need help?

Old 04-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #21
Tacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacomada's Tacoma Gallery
rental income is taxable for sure. but you can claim expenses against it...

i.e. if 50% of the house is rented, then 50% of interest paid on the mortgage can be deducted, 50% of utilities (provided the tenant doesn't pay for them) 50% of repairs and maintenance etc... Hopefully that helps. A lot of people don't declare that type of stuff (a buddy renting a room type thing) but technically its income and goes on a schedule 776 which you can find on the cra website.

Also you can claim CCA (depreciation) for the portion of the house being rented, but i would stay away from that for a house you live in.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #22
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
anethema's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks man I'll let him know.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #23
Tacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thread revival, its that time of year again. Anyone has any questions feel free to hit me up!

New items for 2011!

Volunteer firefighter amount - $3000 credit on line 362. Volunteer for a fire dept for 200 hours or more and not employed as a firefighter with that department - you can claim this amount.

Child art tax credit - same as the child fitness tax credit but for art programs. Must meet certain criteria to claim, and the program will likely issue a slip. Credit is for 15% of expenditures up to $500 per child for eligible programs. Every little bit helps!

There are other changes as well but those are two of the noteable ones.

And of course, any advice I provide is just that, advice. I don't have every detail of your finances so comments I make are usually general rules, and also specific provinces have other programs to consider!
Old 03-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #24
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Are all tradesmen eligible for the $500 tradesman's deduction ?
Old 03-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #25

You have to get your employer to fill out a form T2200 - declaration of conditions of employment.

Then you can deduct the lessor of $500; the cost of tools you purchased less 1065; or the amount of income from employment les 1065.

If you are self employed then you claim them as an expense or capital item on you 2125 statement of business income...

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/t...sprsn-eng.html

Here's a link to more detailed information.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #26
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomada View Post
You have to get your employer to fill out a form T2200 - declaration of conditions of employment.

Then you can deduct the lessor of $500; the cost of tools you purchased less 1065; or the amount of income from employment les 1065.

If you are self employed then you claim them as an expense or capital item on you 2125 statement of business income...

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/t...sprsn-eng.html

Here's a link to more detailed information.
Thank you
Old 03-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #27
TheEh-Team.ca
buck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
buck's Tacoma Gallery
I've been using the Turbo Tax software for a bunch of years. I'm assuming for basic claims, it's good enough? RRSP's, some tuition, medical, RRSP payback (first time home buyer thing).
Old 03-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck View Post
I've been using the Turbo Tax software for a bunch of years. I'm assuming for basic claims, it's good enough? RRSP's, some tuition, medical, RRSP payback (first time home buyer thing).
Yeah for simple returns, even some of the more complex items programs like Turbo tax work great. Turbo tax has checks to notify you if you may be eligible for a claim, and it sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of whats out there too!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Thank you
Any time
Old 03-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #30
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
OP, you're a pretty awesome dude.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
OP, you're a pretty awesome dude.

Indeed I am! Actually...... I only started this thread in the hopes that Oz would receive a larger refund and finally have someone install his bumper.

My efforts, it appears, were in vain.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #32
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomada View Post
Indeed I am! Actually...... I only started this thread in the hopes that Oz would receive a larger refund and finally have someone install his bumper.

My efforts, it appears, were in vain.
buhahahaha!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #33

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
If I'm sent to prison for murder , can I still benefit from the Tradesman's deduction ?
Old 03-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
If I'm sent to prison for murder , can I still benefit from the Tradesman's deduction ?

hmm... im gonna go ahead and say no...

i am not liable for any incorrect information I provide. The answer is in fact yes, however due to concern for my own health i have hidden the correct answer cleverly in white text!
Old 03-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #35

That time of year again... Little under two months for most canadians to file their taxes.

Any questions or clarifications ask away.

As usual a disclaimer is required:

Me: Chartered Accountant in British Columbia

I don't have access to all your specific details so my assistance is general, please take it as such. Need more detailed help you can PM and we can see what I can do. My advice is limited mostly to federal tax, each province has its own set of rules. I can figure out your provincial question but wait times are longer and heck im not charging so don't expect much!
Old 03-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #36

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
If the company I work for pays for disability and life insurance premiums for a policy on my behalf is that a taxable benefit to me ?
Old 03-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #37

Life insurance Yes. Benefit is if the premium paid is taxable to you, the payment to you is non-taxable.

Actually thats not really a benefit for you cuz you'd be dead. But your spouse (or other benificiary of your life insurance) would benefit because the life insurance proceeds wouldn't be taxed.

Disability is non taxable - im assuming you are talking about a long term disability plan. There are lots of variations on disability plans though so it would depend on specifics.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #39

Any time.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #40
rawdog has a spectacular aura aboutrawdog has a spectacular aura about

Name: Steve
rawdog's Tacoma Gallery
What happens when..

The amount of tax write offs that I have is greater than my total income for the year?

I realize i will get all the tax I paid back.. but then what about all those extra tax credits, do they just go away?