Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

US state sales tax apply to Canadians?

Old 04-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Engine is on a distinguished road

Engine's Tacoma Gallery
US state sales tax apply to Canadians?

If I were to buy used from USA (via dealer) and drive it back home, would I be subject to that particular state's sales tax? If dealer provides temp permit, wouldn't I only pay tax upon registration (in my case HST in Newfoundland)? I remember buying a motorcycle in Quebec and having to pay Quebec sales tax - but I submitted a claim proving I registered it in Newfoundland and I was reimbursed.

Of course, states with no sales tax such as NH don't apply.........

Appreciate any info aynone can provide as I'm currently in the purchase planning stages...............
Old 04-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
Canadian Bacon
spares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shed

spares's Tacoma Gallery
Just experienced this, the dealer will take your SIN number as proof the vehicle is leaving the country. You pay for the truck, no tax... pay federal tax at the border, and provincial when you register the vehicle in your province.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
Engine is on a distinguished road

Engine's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent.....thanks!