Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

Being transferred to Canada

Old 09-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
Being transferred to Canada

Hello neighbors to the north!
I am from the states, and the job I am on now is wrapping up. It sounds like the company wants to ship me up there to a new project that is starting in Alberta, a bit southeast of Edmonton (Halkirk area?).
I've never been to the area, so I was wondering if there was any advice for a newcomer.
What is the climate and terrain like? Any essentials I need to pack that aren't available locally?
Will my truck get vandalized since it has USA plates on it???

Looking forward to meeting some new people up there. Thanks guys!
Old 09-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
the point is simply this
georgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
georgeandkanoa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by horwitzs View Post
I am from the states, and the job I am on now is wrapping up. It sounds like the company wants to ship me up there to a new project that is starting in Alberta, a bit southeast of Edmonton (Halkirk area?).
I've never been to the area, so I was wondering if there was any advice for a newcomer.
What is the climate and terrain like? Any essentials I need to pack that aren't available locally?

plan for -30c weather in the winter,nothing but rolling hills and maybe 9 trees in the county,it'll be windy,its Alberta small town living,you can leave your truck unlocked
Old 09-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
rolling hills???? lol I thought if your dog runs away, you can still see him running 3 days later due to how flat it is up there.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
the point is simply this
georgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodgetto View Post
rolling hills???? lol I thought if your dog runs away, you can still see him running 3 days later due to how flat it is up there.
no, there's actually lots of hills,if he was loose for 3 days he'd get eaten by a coyote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
Official TW Igloo Builder
cantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hugh Jass
cantac09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by horwitzs View Post

truck will be fine. get a block heater if you dont already have one. edmonton has everything you will need. make sure you check out the west ed mall. most importantly dont cheer for the eskimo's.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Just watch out.
If anything, Canadians can only sense movement and heat. so if you're ever around a bad hockey game cover your body with thick mud and be completely still...They wont be able to see you
Old 09-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Time to find a new job!
Old 09-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodgetto View Post
Thats Saskatchwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeandkanoa View Post
no, there's actually lots of hills,if he was loose for 3 days he'd get eaten by a coyote
I've seen local dogs take coyote's too ya know haha

And OP, biggest thing is get a block heater for your wheels,
Old 09-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #11
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
You'll need to have your steering wheel and pedals moved to the right side of the cab.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #12
Official TW Igloo Builder
cantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hugh Jass
cantac09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
You'll need to have your steering wheel and pedals moved to the right side of the cab.
yes and you need to spray your entire truck with bear spray.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #13
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeandkanoa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
Thats Saskatchwan

I've seen local dogs take coyote's too ya know haha
Ooooooohhhhh, gotcha.
Quote:
Old 09-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #14
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Bring a jacket
Ordered my block heater today!
Old 09-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #15

Quote:
I know they drive on the right side, but after reading this comment I still asked my wife, "They do drive on the right side of the road like we do in Canada, right?"
She laughed very hard and said that's the type of stupid question she normally asks me.
Oh well, made her day.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #16
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
remote starter might not be a bad idea either. not necessary just convenient.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #17
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
Seat heaters might be a good idea. You can pick up a cover from walmart for about $15 that plugs into your 12V outlet, to try it out and see if you even like having a warm bum. ( I know some people don't like it )
Old 09-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #18
slmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
Make them pay you your American salary but in CAD; you'll get some extra $$$!
Old 09-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #19
the point is simply this

Red Deer is the closest city, everything you want or need will be there.
don't go to Edmonton,go to Calgary
Old 09-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
Seat heaters might be a good idea. You can pick up a cover from walmart for about $15 that plugs into your 12V outlet, to try it out and see if you even like having a warm bum. ( I know some people don't like it )
Already have Wet Okoles with the heater in the driver's seat.
I hate the heated butt, but love it on the back.