Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

Wheeling on Vancouver Island

Old 10-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
Tarik will become famous soon enough

Tarik's Tacoma Gallery
Wheeling on Vancouver Island

Where to do some 'mild' wheeling?
Particularly southern Vancouver Island not too far from Victoria.
Beaches and riverbeds would be nice, but I'll take whatever's fun and not too crazy.
Thanks.
T.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
1989supraturbo is on a distinguished road

Air Force: MSE Op CFB Comox
1989supraturbo's Tacoma Gallery
Not too sure about that area, but here in Courtenay there are all kinds of back roads and logging roads by Mt. Washington
Old 10-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #3

Tarik's Tacoma Gallery
Might have to try out these logging roads, though I've heard the truckers hauling timber can be real pricks trying to run vehicles off the road...
Old 10-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik View Post
Might have to try out these logging roads, though I've heard the truckers hauling timber can be real pricks trying to run vehicles off the road...
You're on their turf if they are actively logging .
Old 10-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
they dont stop for small trucks...
Old 10-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr97tacoma View Post
they dont stop for small trucks...
That's what I'm saying , they have the right of way
Old 10-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #7
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
thats why you have to go up the decommissioned roads
Old 10-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #8

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr97tacoma View Post
thats why you have to go up the decommissioned roads
Or non active areas
Old 10-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #9

Tarik's Tacoma Gallery
Care to name a few?
Old 10-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #11

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I would suggest you call one of the offices , they will set you up with info on open roads

South Island Offices

Port Alberni
District Office
Ministry of Forests
South Island Forest District
4885 Cherry Creek Road,
Port Alberni, B.C., V9Y 8E9
Phone: (250) 731-3000
Fax: (250) 731-3010

Mailing Address:
Ministry of Forests
4885 Cherry Creek Road,
Port Alberni, B.C., V9Y 8E9

Cobble Hill
Office
Ministry of Forests
3819 Trans Canada Hwy
Cobble Hill, B.C., V0R 1L0
Phone: (250) 743-8933
Fax: (250) 743-7299

Mailing Address:
Ministry of Forests
5785 Duncan Street,
Duncan, B.C., V9L 5G2

Hours of Operation:
8:30am - 4:30pmHours of Operation:
by appointment only
8:30am - 4:30pm
Closed 12:00pm - 1:00pm
Old 10-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #12

Tarik's Tacoma Gallery
So basically you pay for the permit and you get to use decommissioned logging roads for off-road use? I'm liking this.

Edit - I see your next post. Will definitely do.
This is merging in to my other thread, but are you/others down for a meet-up/drive on one of these?
Old 10-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik View Post
So basically you pay for the permit and you get to use decommissioned logging roads for off-road use? I'm liking this.

Edit - I see your next post. Will definitely do.
This is merging in to my other thread, but are you/others down for a meet-up/drive on one of these?

I'm not on Vancouver Island but let me know what you find out
Old 10-12-2011, 12:13 AM   #14

Tarik's Tacoma Gallery
Will do. NFK and I will probably be meeting soon as we're the only two on here from Vic (so far). I don't know of any others right now.
Regarding trails...probably best left for summertime at this point.... but maybe next summer we can get a big BC crew over here to drive some great roads, do some camping.
Thanks for the trail info
Old 10-12-2011, 12:54 AM   #16
qwertypepper will become famous soon enoughqwertypepper will become famous soon enough
Name: cam
qwertypepper's Tacoma Gallery
port renfrew

as for "mild wheeling" and logging roads, i would check out port renfrew. you can get there from sooke, or the cowichan highway. i recommend getting a backroads mapbook, they show some cool stuff like giant trees and trailheads. as for beach driving i don't know about that. and its rare to see logging trucks on the weekends, even more rare on a long weekend
Old 10-12-2011, 12:57 AM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertypepper View Post
as for "mild wheeling" and logging roads, i would check out port renfrew. you can get there from sooke, or the cowichan highway. i recommend getting a backroads mapbook, they show some cool stuff like giant trees and trailheads. as for beach driving i don't know about that. and its rare to see logging trucks on the weekends, even more rare on a long weekend
Where are you at Cam ? Do you live in / around Renfrew ?
Old 10-12-2011, 01:02 AM   #18
qwertypepper will become famous soon enoughqwertypepper will become famous soon enough
Name: cam
qwertypepper's Tacoma Gallery
i live in langford. i go out there exploring, there and shawnigan lake. both with the bike and the truck
Old 10-12-2011, 01:10 AM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i live in langford. i go out there exploring, there and shawnigan lake. both with the bike and the truck
Cool

I got my OME kit and my Leer canopy at the Capit in Langford
Old 10-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #20

Tarik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Qwerty, you up for a meetup with NFK and I?