Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

Rust Proofing??

Old 02-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #21
Taco Toronto is on a distinguished road
Taco Toronto's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks all. I'm picking my brand new 2012 4WD V6 6M TRD Offroad AC Taco at 9 on Saturday and I'll drive straight to the nearest Krown Centre!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #22
ontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to all

ontarioyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Toronto View Post
Thanks all. I'm picking my brand new 2012 4WD V6 6M TRD Offroad AC Taco at 9 on Saturday and I'll drive straight to the nearest Krown Centre!
do it
Old 02-23-2012, 04:33 AM   #23
"Really, how hard can it be?" Jeremy Clarkson
elwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Neal
elwood's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontarioyota View Post
drilling is good!
Agreed^^^^^^^ gets to places for better protection.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:50 AM   #24
ontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood View Post
Agreed^^^^^^^ gets to places for better protection.

Yes.... like rockers, doors and door pilliars
Old 11-25-2012, 02:05 AM   #25
sheamus is on a distinguished road
sheamus's Tacoma Gallery
Bringing up an old thread here, but it is still relevant. Trying to decided if it is worth it to get dealer to it (they are going to do it for a couple hundred).

From the cold prairies where not much salt is used.

Back when I bought my CRV about 10 years ago, I had dealer undercoat it. It seemed like tar they put on it. It eventually became fairly hard. I sold crv after 5 years, and no real rust. They claim you didn't have to keep applying. Not sure how well it creeped into various areas. No frame on a CRV. This stuff is good for road noise if nothing else. I believe this is what Toyota uses in their dealerships too.

I was out in Maritimes for 7 years recently and they relaly like the Krown type stuff. Lots of shops have their own "special blend" which seems like oil and wax mixed. Creeps great, gets everywhere, drips. Needs re-applying. The small shop I went to was only $50 for my fit, and $80 for station wagon I had. Makes things _dirty_ to work on. As dust sticks to it in summer.

My 1993 Mazda B2200 has almost no rust on it, except pinholes beneath back tail lights, and maybe a pinhole in box. Frame is like a rock.

There are so many nooks and crannies under a truck (vehicle with frame) that I have my doubts the dealer tar would get into all the right places. I am not sure I like the idea of going to something like Krown it makes such a mess.

So I guess my question is, has anyone had a vehicle down with dealer tar, and witnessed the long term results on a Taco?
Old 11-25-2012, 04:29 AM   #26
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheamus View Post
Bringing up an old thread here, but it is still relevant. Trying to decided if it is worth it to get dealer to it (they are going to do it for a couple hundred).

From the cold prairies where not much salt is used.

Back when I bought my CRV about 10 years ago, I had dealer undercoat it. It seemed like tar they put on it. It eventually became fairly hard. I sold crv after 5 years, and no real rust. They claim you didn't have to keep applying. Not sure how well it creeped into various areas. No frame on a CRV. This stuff is good for road noise if nothing else. I believe this is what Toyota uses in their dealerships too.

I was out in Maritimes for 7 years recently and they relaly like the Krown type stuff. Lots of shops have their own "special blend" which seems like oil and wax mixed. Creeps great, gets everywhere, drips. Needs re-applying. The small shop I went to was only $50 for my fit, and $80 for station wagon I had. Makes things _dirty_ to work on. As dust sticks to it in summer.

My 1993 Mazda B2200 has almost no rust on it, except pinholes beneath back tail lights, and maybe a pinhole in box. Frame is like a rock.

There are so many nooks and crannies under a truck (vehicle with frame) that I have my doubts the dealer tar would get into all the right places. I am not sure I like the idea of going to something like Krown it makes such a mess.

So I guess my question is, has anyone had a vehicle down with dealer tar, and witnessed the long term results on a Taco?
The hard tar like undercoating can crack and allow water under and rust can start. Because it's under the coating, you never see it until it's too late. Here is a copy (attached PDF) of a study done by DND on corrosion protection. I went with Corrosion Free 3000, but a couple of others also had good marks.

DND Review of Corrosion Control Programs.pdf

Frank
Old 11-25-2012, 04:37 AM   #27
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I get Krown done yearly and I am very pleased with the results. I like the fact they drill, it allows the stuff to get inside the areas. I also like the fact that its an oily like substance that really seems to creep into all the spots.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #28
sheamus's Tacoma Gallery
Great answer. Me like empirical evidence.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #30
sheamus's Tacoma Gallery
Can the corrosion 3000 stuff be bought at Canadian tire? Or do you have to get them to apply it?

With jack stands it wouldn't be that hard to do myself. Just need to know where to buy.

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:40 AM   #31
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheamus View Post
Can the corrosion 3000 stuff be bought at Canadian tire? Or do you have to get them to apply it?

With jack stands it wouldn't be that hard to do myself. Just need to know where to buy.

Thanks.
You can buy it from them.

Frank
Old 11-26-2012, 06:36 AM   #32

In Oct I had Krown applied to both my Taco and Tundra...nice local shop that lets you participate in the process...therefore I kept urging the kid to apply to the hidden spots!!!

I also use Fluid Film for touch up and rear frame areas as the winter progresses
Old 11-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #33
BackCountry is on a distinguished road

BackCountry's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have the check engine light come on after some rust proofing? Specifically Krown... I'd had a rear o2 sensor replaced the day before so could be unrelated, but I can see how rust proofing may foul something up?

Just wondered if others have had any problems and where I should look. Trips to the mechanic to get that darn code read all the time are getting a bit costly.

Sorry if this is too off topic...
Old 11-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #34
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
I used Por15 for my jeep and its held up great. Monstaliner.com has some stuff also that will prevent rusting.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #35
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackCountry View Post
Anyone have the check engine light come on after some rust proofing? Specifically Krown... I'd had a rear o2 sensor replaced the day before so could be unrelated, but I can see how rust proofing may foul something up?

Just wondered if others have had any problems and where I should look. Trips to the mechanic to get that darn code read all the time are getting a bit costly.

Sorry if this is too off topic...
No issues here at all. Had mine done 4 times now during the fall.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #36
sheamus's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting enough the Formula 3000 is $29 for two 400ml bottles off their site. It is $11.50 for a 400ml can at Crappy Tire.

I emailed Corrosion Free to see if they sell by the pail, so I could just apply using an HVLP.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #37
taczilla is on a distinguished road

Name: Marc
taczilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gylar View Post
I don't think Krown would void your warranty. Since Krown usually drills holes throughout the truck though Toyota may say the structure has been compromised. Personally I really didn't care If they covered it or not since the rust warranty is only good for 7 years IIRC.
... and only goog for 'RUST THROUGH'

My dealer inadvertantly added all the protection gimics on my truck, including the electronic anti-rust module. That warranty was supposed to be $1495 ... I got to keep them for free!

All the same, I went to a local shop where they applied a golden oil/wax substance that creeped everywhere. They drilled holes in the bottoms of the doors, removed the tailights, and sprayed in every nook and cranny.

It was early July and about 30C when they did. It dripped and oozed out of everywhere for 2 weeks. I'm sure it got into every space as it even lifted the 3M clear anti-scuff tape off the bottom edge of the rear door jambs. Toyota replaced those under warranty.

There's a first gen running around here that has it applied since new, and the truck looks new with over 350,000 km on it!

I'll try and find out what the product is.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #38
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taczilla View Post
... and only goog for 'RUST THROUGH'

My dealer inadvertantly added all the protection gimics on my truck, including the electronic anti-rust module. That warranty was supposed to be $1495 ... I got to keep them for free!

All the same, I went to a local shop where they applied a golden oil/wax substance that creeped everywhere. They drilled holes in the bottoms of the doors, removed the tailights, and sprayed in every nook and cranny.

It was early July and about 30C when they did. It dripped and oozed out of everywhere for 2 weeks. I'm sure it got into every space as it even lifted the 3M clear anti-scuff tape off the bottom edge of the rear door jambs. Toyota replaced those under warranty.

There's a first gen running around here that has it applied since new, and the truck looks new with over 350,000 km on it!

I'll try and find out what the product is.
Yea i made the mistake of buying the extra "rust proof" package as well. The dealer simply sprayed a rubberized texture on the frame and installed a electronic rust proofing module along with it. After all that i still went to Krown and had it rust proofed!

At least i'm protected a few different ways now, no way salt is gonna eat my frame away!
Old 12-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #39
sheamus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taczilla View Post
Yeah, post back when you find out. You guys use a lot of salt, so would be interesting to know.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #40
toyotagirl 05 has much to be proud oftoyotagirl 05 has much to be proud oftoyotagirl 05 has much to be proud oftoyotagirl 05 has much to be proud oftoyotagirl 05 has much to be proud oftoyotagirl 05 has much to be proud oftoyotagirl 05 has much to be proud oftoyotagirl 05 has much to be proud oftoyotagirl 05 has much to be proud of

Name: Heather
toyotagirl 05's Tacoma Gallery
Just had mine done this week, my mechanic said the truck is in awesome shape for the year, guess it pays off!!