Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

Rust Proofing??

Old 11-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
2012 TRD SPORT is on a distinguished road
2012 TRD SPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Rust Proofing??

Hey guys. I have a 2012 TRD Sport D/Cab on order. Has anyone used the diamond kote system (spray or dk 9000 electronic). My 03 4Runner that I'm trading in has some rust on the frame but body panels have been fine and I never used any rust proofing on it. I'm in southern Ontario, salt on the roads in the winter. Any info would be great! Thanks.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
Cogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Justin
Cogge89's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the spray on from the dealer.. Some probably say it's a waste, but I would do it again and again living here on the east coast.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
2012 TRD SPORT is on a distinguished road
2012 TRD SPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Was it the diamond kote? Did they cake your engine compartment and your shock springs/exhaust?? Just curious.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:02 AM   #4
swollen member
covefrog08 is on a distinguished road

covefrog08's Tacoma Gallery
i also bought the spray on coating the offered (they said it was a silicone type) and they didn't get it anywhere they shouldn't but it\s not very thick and 2 years later i'm not super impressed with it. i will probubly get under the truck next summer or the one after and do some wire brushing and painting myself
Old 11-03-2011, 03:47 AM   #5
Cogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Justin
Cogge89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 TRD SPORT View Post
Was it the diamond kote? Did they cake your engine compartment and your shock springs/exhaust?? Just curious.
Yeah I believe it was the diamond kote. None on the exhaust or shocks to the best of my knowledge. Just the frame and wheel wells. They also respray it once a year for like $30.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:23 AM   #6
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogge89 View Post
Yeah I believe it was the diamond kote. None on the exhaust or shocks to the best of my knowledge. Just the frame and wheel wells. They also respray it once a year for like $30.
Same here... Diamond Kote. There was some splattered on the muffler.. that was a bit smelly for a couple days in the garage...
Old 11-03-2011, 06:03 AM   #7
ontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to all

ontarioyota's Tacoma Gallery
I use "krown" and do it once a year...early fall....nice product that creeps...also let them drill rockers, doors, tailgate etc yo get inside panels...about $125 a year

I touch up rust on frame welds with "Fluid Film" in the spring
Old 11-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #8
squamish VFR will become famous soon enoughsquamish VFR will become famous soon enough

Canadian Coast Guard: Auxiliary volunteer
Name: Mike
squamish VFR's Tacoma Gallery
I too use Krown. Tomorrow is my apptmt. Thanks for reminding me! For what these friggin' trucks cost, I need it to last. My last truck was about $5K in rust mitigation/12yrs so this should be better value. Just a bit drippy...
Old 11-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
ontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to all

My Taco got Krowned today and the Tundra a few weeks ago!
Old 11-06-2011, 06:41 AM   #10
jkcb2011 is on a distinguished road
Army: Canadian Army
jkcb2011's Tacoma Gallery
When I purchased my 2011 DC TRD Sport in Dec 2010, I also got the OEM electronic rust protection. I also got the KROWN rust protection in early fall as a back up measure, and will continue to get it every fall. The way I see it, the electronic "thing" ( I say that because I have read mixed reviews), will help preserve the body of my truck and the KROWN rustproofing will help prserve the frame, brake lines, etc. I paid too much for the truck not to try to keep it looking good, I hope it pays off.

Jeff
Old 01-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
elytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: I do what Goose did but not with Maverick...now I'm learning Mavericks skills too!!
Name: Travis
elytravis's Tacoma Gallery
I too am concerned about rust protection on my in route 2012. The dealer offers something called "Plan A." They said it's usually around $1300 but would give it to me for $900. It's supposed to be some kind of rust proof underneath and paint sealant on the top. They alsos coat te inside to make it stain proof. Not sure if it's worth it havent heard anything on it.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
grant99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrant99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrant99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrant99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrant99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrant99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrant99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrant99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrant99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrant99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrant99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
grant99's Tacoma Gallery
I've owned a shop in the automotive industry for 11yrs. The first thing I tell everyone about "protection packages" is, the dealership and sales guys usually make as much or even more off selling you them as they do off selling the car. Trust me I have seen their cost of the rust proofing, interior protection etc. just do it yourself. I personally suggest Krown, and then go to CT and buy a can of Scotchgard, and find a good wax/paint sealant and do it yourself or find a NON-warranty detailing shop. Warranties for paint sealants/fabric protection AREN'T worth the paper their printed on, and again are just a cash grab. Also with the money you saved (which will be hundreds) you can get these services done over and over again for years to come
Old 01-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #13
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
That's some solid advice right there ^^^, thanks Grant. I'm not sure what the brand was but I used a gel type spray this year that cost me a little over a hundred bucks. The coverage was great but I had to go around with a rag and clean off a few spots of overspray like around the hinges of the tailgate etc. It was also pretty unpleasant when I popped the hood and stuck my hand under there looking for the latch.....ewwww. I also got a little tired of the bubble gum smell after a week or so but it's gone.

I think the important thing is to have it done,......dealer, Rust Check, Krown etc. My BSP truck is completely white with salt right now after a 4 hour hockey road trip.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #14
pmo will become famous soon enoughpmo will become famous soon enough

pmo's Tacoma Gallery
Tru Shine...aplication every 18 months for about $150,,,if you happen to go in the ditch or need to replace a panel...trhey will recoat it free of charge!
Old 01-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #15
wlowe is on a distinguished road
Name: Bill
wlowe's Tacoma Gallery
This is what I use in the doors, interior frame and other spots that are hard to get to. It's a wax base and flows into hard to get to areas. My 2001 Dodge Ram Diesel is completely rust free even though it spent its first few years in Seattle, Washington. I also spray the frame and axles every year with Rustoleum professional spray paint. The professional brand fades less. I just got done painting the frame on my tacoma and when the weather gets better I'm going to spray it with 3M.

http://3mcollision.com/3m-rust-fighter-i-08892.html
Old 01-31-2012, 05:42 AM   #16
"Really, how hard can it be?" Jeremy Clarkson
elwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Neal
elwood's Tacoma Gallery
I undercoat the truck and our car every year myself. I can purcahse a 5 gallon jug of annual amber from Britton automotive for $100. It has done both for 5 years and i just ran out this past fall. I have a gun with quick release attachments ($50) and all ready have the compressor in the shop. The amber is made by the same company in Montreal as Krown is made from. They are not the same viscosity to spray but it works quite fine.
We have always done our own since we were kids and helped my Dad in the driveway.
There is so much on both it will continue to creep all summer and into the following fall. I would never have the dealer spray as in guelph here they use Houghton to do theirs. They wanted over a grand when i bought the truck and Houghton would have been $150 for me to drop it off. Grant99 is 100% right for the dealer installed stuff.
Save the money and buy the tools and do it yourself if you can.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:22 AM   #17
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
I had my truck rustproofed at the dealer but after seeing what that consists of (rubberized undercoating with electronic rust package) i quickly decided to go with the tried and true Krown rust proofing. I've been using krown for the past 10 years and never had a spec of rust on my last two vehicles. So the results speak for themselves. (especially considering we're in the SALT using capital of provinces lol)
Old 02-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #18
loves black taco
cool hand luke is on a distinguished road

cool hand luke's Tacoma Gallery
will krown void any toyota warranty? I wouldn't think so, and krown says it shouldn't, but I want to check with you all first. braand spankn new 2012 blk dc trd comes in march!
Old 02-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #19
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think Krown would void your warranty. Since Krown usually drills holes throughout the truck though Toyota may say the structure has been compromised. Personally I really didn't care If they covered it or not since the rust warranty is only good for 7 years IIRC.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #20

drilling is good!