Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

Oil Change

Old 01-05-2012, 01:21 AM   #21
Toyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Shoghi
Toyoghi's Tacoma Gallery
the toyota filter is a wopping 7 bucks. The phram is what 5 or 6? for a buck difference isn't it better to be safe?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #22
Gatorstaco is on a distinguished road
Gatorstaco's Tacoma Gallery
If you can, cut the filter open and you can see how the filter is made. The fram XG 3614 is well made as for the Amsoil. The less expensive one may be of less quality
Old 01-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #23
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Don't bother. Chris4x4 cut open a shit ton already. The OEM Toyota one was the one of the best for build quality and filter material as well as amount of filter medium available in the filter.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #24
HipHead is on a distinguished road

Name: Jeff
HipHead's Tacoma Gallery
Ok. I went ahead and purchased a Toyota OEM oil filter. And used 5W 30.

Done many oil changes before. And this one went well too. But I have a question about draining the oil from the oil filter. How does one prevent the oil from leaking from the filter?

I realize there is a drain plug where a hose can be connected to drain the oil under the oil filter holder. But I was unable to remove the plug. How do you connect a hose?
Old 01-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #25
BRONSON is on a distinguished road

BRONSON's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHead View Post
Ok. I went ahead and purchased a Toyota OEM oil filter. And used 5W 30.

Done many oil changes before. And this one went well too. But I have a question about draining the oil from the oil filter. How does one prevent the oil from leaking from the filter?

I realize there is a drain plug where a hose can be connected to drain the oil under the oil filter holder. But I was unable to remove the plug. How do you connect a hose?
The rubber plug should slip right off, it's just friction fit. A length of 5/16" I.D. hose will then slip over the drain down to your oil catch, or you can just wedge a small container under there. Loosen the filter a few turns and let it drain.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #27
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyoghi View Post
the toyota filter is a wopping 7 bucks. The phram is what 5 or 6? for a buck difference isn't it better to be safe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorstaco View Post
If you can, cut the filter open and you can see how the filter is made. The fram XG 3614 is well made as for the Amsoil. The less expensive one may be of less quality
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Don't bother. Chris4x4 cut open a shit ton already. The OEM Toyota one was the one of the best for build quality and filter material as well as amount of filter medium available in the filter.
See this link on why to buy OEM Filters:http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...mpetition.html
Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #28

HipHead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
See this link on why to buy OEM Filters:http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...mpetition.html
Interesting. Good to know OEM is the best.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #29

HipHead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONSON View Post
The rubber plug should slip right off, it's just friction fit. A length of 5/16" I.D. hose will then slip over the drain down to your oil catch, or you can just wedge a small container under there. Loosen the filter a few turns and let it drain.
Just to make sure I understand. The rubber plug slips off? Or there is a sleeve on the rubber plug and the sleeve slips off the plug?

I was able to turn the plug in both directions but wasn't sure how to disconnect from the oil filter holder.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #30
BRONSON is on a distinguished road

BRONSON's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHead View Post
Just to make sure I understand. The rubber plug slips off? Or there is a sleeve on the rubber plug and the sleeve slips off the plug?

I was able to turn the plug in both directions but wasn't sure how to disconnect from the oil filter holder.
The rubber plug itself slides straight down. It's basically a condom covering an inch or so metal extension (the drain hole) on the filter holder, which is what you then slip your 5/16" drain hose over. I'm not even sure why the rubber plug is necessary. I left mine off last oil change.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ge-thread.html
Old 01-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #31

HipHead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONSON View Post
The rubber plug itself slides straight down. It's basically a condom covering an inch or so metal extension (the drain hole) on the filter holder, which is what you then slip your 5/16" drain hose over. I'm not even sure why the rubber plug is necessary. I left mine off last oil change.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ge-thread.html
Got it. Thanks!