Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

Alberta Outfitter?

Old 02-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Adjunct Anarchist
Papa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Radio Operator
Name: Papa Tac
Papa Tac's Tacoma Gallery
Alberta Outfitter?

Need your help, TW members in Alberta!
Me and the wife are planning a trip to the Rockies within the year, to retrace some of my adventures in Wild Rose Country
I worked at Jasper Park Lodge from '85-'90, barely made it out alive. So much fun, so few memories...
Just Rinse...:laughin g:...and Repeat
We'll fly into Calgary or Edmonton and rent a 4WD (can you say Taco?) to do the Icefields Parkway and some bikehikepaddlecamp. See the Badlands, and maybe up North a bit.
I'd love to find out some must-do routes/trails, etc, but what I really need is a good place to rent 4WD, maybe partly equipped for trippin'.
I guess we're looking for a decent Outfitter or Rental location.
We'd also rent bikes and canoe, probably easier than bringing ours.
Anyone with experience renting gear from MEC?
We have our own camp gear, tent etc, just need the big stuff (ie rig, mtb, canoe, rack maybe).
BTW we're Newfies. I know you have a surplus of us, but you make it so damn attractive. Some of my best times were in Alberta....sigh
Probably my Favourite spot - who knows it?

Any advice you can offer will be mucho apprecio.
Cheers
Old 02-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Ask here about the 4x4 rental cause I have no clue about that. But I've heard good things coming back from MEC rentals. Shouldn't be an issue at all.

PS - Alberta rocks.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Adjunct Anarchist
Papa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Those 2 pics are of Fryatt Hut, Jasper Nat'l Park, the cabin (built by Parks Canada) and the view from atop the Headwall looking back the trail.
Truly one of the most beautiful places anywhere.
Yeah, Alberta and I had a 5 year fling from 86-91 when I worked at the Jasper Park Lodge. I had to leave to regroup and rejoin the real world, but I'm aching to get back to the mountains.
Want to retrace old steps with the wife.
I had planned on hitting up MEC for bike/canoe rental, just looking for suggestions.
Thanks all
Old 02-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
the point is simply this
georgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
georgeandkanoa's Tacoma Gallery
i'm ashamed to say I've lived most of my life in Alberta,and have never been to jasper. Banff and Kananaskis a million times. Come to Calgary
its much nicer and way closer to the mountains,
Old 02-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
Adjunct Anarchist

I wouldn't think of starting a feud between Cowtown and Deadmonton - spent time lots of time in both. Saw a stabbing on Electric Ave, and a Porsche deep-throat a utility pole on the Whitemud. Cool.
My buddy (fellow Newf) was Brewmaster at Labatt Brewery in Edmonton, and also Creston BC (mmmm Kokanee) in the 90's-00's, before they shipped him back here - he was making it TOO good.
Ain't it always the way that those who live near a place often see that place the least - take it for granted, I guess.
Carpe Diem
Old 06-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
CalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shayne
CalgaryRider's Tacoma Gallery
Any confirmed dates on when you will be out?

How long will you be out also? cause depending upon the length of your trip I can probably help you out with some interesting places to go and see.