Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

Rest in Peace Canadian Penny

Old 03-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #121
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I'm sure they will be out sooner then later...see all the Americans above
than
Old 03-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #122
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
than

blow me asshat
Old 03-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #123
ggreen is a splendid one to beholdggreen is a splendid one to beholdggreen is a splendid one to beholdggreen is a splendid one to beholdggreen is a splendid one to beholdggreen is a splendid one to behold

ggreen's Tacoma Gallery
Good job Canada. Time for the US to follow suit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5UT04p5f7U
Old 03-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #124
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm sure they will be out sooner then later...see all the Americans above
Yes, and I'm sure I will see one in BC too............
Old 03-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #125
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
You're not in BC , I am
Old 03-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #126
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post

yea....50 years from now

The Hotel sell yet?
Old 03-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #127
Hayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brandon
Hayes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
And no one would be able to check their tread depth.

Good thing you are supposed to use a quarter now.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #128
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You're not in BC , I am

Your in foreign BC...he is in domestic BC
Old 03-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #129

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Your in foreign BC...he is in domestic BC
I could say the same
Old 03-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #130
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I could say the same

yes, you could.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #131
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmatters View Post
im bad with cash...i hate having a $20 bill and pay for a $8 item...i'll lose a dollar...keep the 10 and throw the coins and pigeons or other objects...i just wrap the pennies in the receipt an throw them away....so card it is for me, no matter what....it's the only way for me to save those coins..back on topic yo.
Personally, $20s go in the wallet.

Once it is broken, it goes into my back pocket with the change, basically rolled like "bar money"

That does two things... makes me think before breaking a $20, and it also helps eliminate the issue with dishonest vendors claiming "you only gave me $5, I need $3 more" when you paid for an $8 item with a $20.

I had that happen with a "cigar girl" at Cabo Wabo and ended up getting her booted from the club by the manager. If my wallet comes out of my pocket, I'm breaking a $20 or larger.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #132
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I have a stash of old canadian coins and European and ancient asian coins...one day perhaps, I'll sale them and get mucho dinero...assuming I live that long...
Old 03-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #133
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
They have to accept and legal tender
They have to accept them, but as they are sent to the banks with the nightly deposits, are the banks going to treat them as "damaged currency" and pull them from circulation?

How is the transition going to be handled.... sale amount comes out to $5.56... is the vendor going to eat the penny or is the customer going to cough up $5.60?
If the vendor eats it, it could add up quickly, though it will average out to an extent (except when you get the asshole customer that insists on having his $0.02 change)....

Or are transaction totals going to immediately automatically round to the nearest 0.05?

What about non-cash transactions? Will they still be run in cents?

Don't get me wrong... I'm with the plan on dumping anything smaller than even a dime. A dollar simply is not worth what it was 20/50/100 years ago and there really is no need for the smaller change (why Mexico still has anything smaller than 50 Centavos is beyond me!)... but in the world of accounting, rounding can introduce HUGE discrepancies. People have made millions (and gone to prison for it) by skimming "a few cents/dollars" from bank accounts. Amounts that aren't noticed by the customer, but amounts that add up in a big way once concentrated in one location.

So I see big problems with the transition if the ultimate goal is to eliminate the denomination, but at the same time transactions are not universally required to avoid the use of the smaller denominations.

Ya, right... Says the guy who lives in a country where gas prices are $x.xx9/10
Old 03-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #134

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
They have to accept them, but as they are sent to the banks with the nightly deposits, are the banks going to treat them as "damaged currency" and pull them from circulation?

How is the transition going to be handled.... sale amount comes out to $5.56... is the vendor going to eat the penny or is the customer going to cough up $5.60?
If the vendor eats it, it could add up quickly, though it will average out to an extent (except when you get the asshole customer that insists on having his $0.02 change)....

Or are transaction totals going to immediately automatically round to the nearest 0.05?

What about non-cash transactions? Will they still be run in cents?

Don't get me wrong... I'm with the plan on dumping anything smaller than even a dime. A dollar simply is not worth what it was 20/50/100 years ago and there really is no need for the smaller change (why Mexico still has anything smaller than 50 Centavos is beyond me!)... but in the world of accounting, rounding can introduce HUGE discrepancies. People have made millions (and gone to prison for it) by skimming "a few cents/dollars" from bank accounts. Amounts that aren't noticed by the customer, but amounts that add up in a big way once concentrated in one location.

So I see big problems with the transition if the ultimate goal is to eliminate the denomination, but at the same time transactions are not universally required to avoid the use of the smaller denominations.

Ya, right... Says the guy who lives in a country where gas prices are $x.xx9/10
You didn't read the article in the OP , did you ?
Old 03-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #135

Quote:
No
Old 03-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #136

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No
It answers all the questions you posted .

Essentially , cash transactions will be rounded up or down after all items are tallied and taxes applied .

Credit or debit transactions are unchanged , ie the total can be $x.99

Pennies will be removed from circulations when they end up at financial institutions , but are legal tender as long as they exist
Old 03-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #137
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
No
The hallmark of a seasoned dou...TW member.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #139

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
Are canadian pennies 1 cent?
FU Pineapple
Old 03-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #140
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
If two pennies are glued together, are they still legal tender?