Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

Favorite Taco Winter Tire

Old 04-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
exwrx is on a distinguished road
exwrx's Tacoma Gallery
Favorite Taco Winter Tire

so i am shopping early (real early) this year for winter tires. what tires have you had good luck with. i will be running a 16x7 steel rim my self.
thanks guys
looking forward to some input.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Yokohama Geolandar I-T G072. Put it on the wife's Jeep, works like a damn. Looking at getting a set for my truck this year. Plus thing is, they make them in 285x75R16.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Project.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Project.paradigm's Tacoma Gallery
I've run the Geolander I/T previously, good tire and i'd recommend it. Last year i ran the Nokian Hakka 5 studded. Awesome tire, a little on the loud side but could handle any winter condition with great traction. May be hard to find winter tires at the moment. A lot of places don't stock them until fall.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
exwrx's Tacoma Gallery
studs are not legal in ontario. i was looking at bfg salam ksi tires.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Gatorstaco is on a distinguished road
Gatorstaco's Tacoma Gallery
I use the Toyo G-02 plus. They are realy good. Found mine on kijiji
Old 04-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
Project.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Project.paradigm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by exwrx View Post
The Nokian tire I ran was available without studs. Regardless of which tire you choose, it will still be better than what you're running now.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #7
Pay it Forward
Graham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant future

Graham's Tacoma Gallery
Goodyear Duratracs! I have them on my wife's Hummer and just put a pair on my daughters 2011 Taco. They are monster's in all weather conditions especially snow! I have Firstone Destination AT's on mine right now and will switch to Duratracs before the snow fly's next year.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
exwrx's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone run 235/75/16 on a 16x7 rims? Opinions...
Old 04-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
Gatorstaco is on a distinguished road
Gatorstaco's Tacoma Gallery
I run 235/60/16 on my X-Runner on mags, no steel rims on my X
Old 04-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
exwrx's Tacoma Gallery
had a different tire offered to me today. bridgestone dm z3 245/70/16. seems to be a good tire. $75 each used, 75+%. thoughts?? or new dm v1 $185each new. or dm z3 75% $110each.
thoughts?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Driven with them. Pretty damn good tire. Not fantastic on ice, but held up really rather well on the highway even in 2WD.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #12
WIB is on a distinguished road

Name: AC
WIB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Goodyear Duratracs!
+1 on the duratrac's. Running 'em up on logging roads most the winter and they worked great.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #13
exwrx's Tacoma Gallery
just letting ya know guys that i did go with the blizzak dm z3 245/70/16. thanks for the help. they look good!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
Adam3612 is on a distinguished road
Adam3612's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone have any experience with Michelin xIce Xi2's? I've got Michelin coupons for 44% off of base price on Michelin tires (family member works for Michelin).
Old 07-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #15
jays929 is on a distinguished road
Name: jason
jays929's Tacoma Gallery
I've been running Nokean hakapiletta LT's. There great on snow and ice and there studable.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #16
tig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
tig1's Tacoma Gallery
Hey I use michelin ice for a winter tire and on snow pack or ice I have no problem.But in deep snow it's like pushing a snow plow,in 4 wheel drive...useless.

later tig1
Old 07-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #17
Resident Jackass

For deep snow your best bet is an MT. It'll pull it like a skidoo.

Firestone Destination MT. Pinned for #17 studs and the compound is actually quite soft so it's quite good in winter. However it gets sliced easy when it's hot out.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #18
bellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to behold

Army:
bellero's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by exwrx View Post
Not entirely true, they are illegal only in the south. Regulation 617/05 says that only people who live in Northern Ontario are allowed to have them. $110 ticket for driving with studs in the south.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #19
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I use studded Firestone Winterforce tires. I love them in the ice and snow. Zero complaints here.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #20
Mountainguy is on a distinguished road
Name: Randy
Mountainguy's Tacoma Gallery
265/75/16 Duratracs oh, and I had em' studded. Great for the winter but with the studs I have to switch them over in the spring.