Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

broken spring leafs

Old 06-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
pmo will become famous soon enoughpmo will become famous soon enough

pmo's Tacoma Gallery
broken spring leafs

anyone else out there dealing with broken leafs. i have repalced the 2nd leaf in each side..the one directly under the main. Thing is i don't carry heavy loads...why are they breaking?
Service manager tells me they don't have to be loaded to break...which kind of makes sense, but not a whole of..
its a 07 dblcab with a 4 leaf pack from factory...i think its crappy springs
Old 06-17-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmo View Post
anyone else out there dealing with broken leafs. i have repalced the 2nd leaf in each side..the one directly under the main. Thing is i don't carry heavy loads...why are they breaking?
Service manager tells me they don't have to be loaded to break...which kind of makes sense, but not a whole of..
its a 07 dblcab with a 4 leaf pack from factory...i think its crappy springs
i just broke my 07 AC middle spring in a 3 leaf pack yesterday. but that was from beating the shit out of it offroad. i wouldnt be happy if it was normal driving. good luck to you
Old 06-17-2012, 03:38 AM   #3
Forever at a crossroads
09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mylene
09_tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I've broken a leaf on the drivers side too. Do yourself a favor and go through a leaf place instead of Toyota. They've got the same quality leafs for half the price.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
pmo will become famous soon enoughpmo will become famous soon enough

pmo's Tacoma Gallery
09-tacoma...thats what im doing....actually just bought individual leaf..my mechanic will do the job...broke the opposite last fall...fixed it the same way no problems since..maybe better steel in the new leafs than toyota springs?? I don't know...
Old 07-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Yo Brandon - you gonna chime in on this one??
Old 07-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
squamish VFR will become famous soon enoughsquamish VFR will become famous soon enough

Canadian Coast Guard: Auxiliary volunteer
Name: Mike
squamish VFR's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the seven leaf Dakar packs from OME. More leafs =more supple ride less reason to break. Well within the realm of DYI.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
FishinTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: D'Arcy
FishinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I was told, and it makes sense that if you have heavy leafs and don't haul weight, this will cause you to break leafs. Having weight in the box flex's the extra/heavy leafs, what they are made for but if you are empty and run extra/heavy leafs things just break with a hard hit. Not saying it's right, just what a suspension guy told me. Food for though.

Cheers, DC
Old 07-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #9
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Got a picture? If the crack is originating from the centering pin hole, then the U-bolts weren't tight enough.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
So we were wheeling with YFZ450MOE (Brandon) when he noticed some clunking noises. Checked it out and had a broken AAL. It wasn't broken at the center pin. It snapped a few inches behind the pin. The loose portion could basically be pulled out. We were going up FS roads and trails fairly slowly. Nothing extreme.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #11
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Had the same problem twice so far http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...aks-again.html
Old 07-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
FishinTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: D'Arcy
FishinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
hhmmm, hauling beer, chainsaw, camping/hiking gear...sounds terribly familiar. Pm for sure when you head up this way.

DC