Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

Buying Tires in Canada

Old 08-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #21
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
I got Goodyear duratracs for 200 each at my local coast tire
Old 08-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #22
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GR View Post
Discounttiredirect.com. Most of the time, it's cheaper then what I even get with my discount being a technician.
Interesting

255/80/17 KM2's are $240 each on that site , I can get them locally for $280 each
Old 08-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #23
LocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud of

Coast Guard: RDC Retired
Name: Don
LocoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Why not just have the tires installed in the U. S. and then drive home on the new tires? No duty, no taxes...
Old 08-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #24
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoTaco View Post
Why not just have the tires installed in the U. S. and then drive home on the new tires? No duty, no taxes...
Thought of that, but that could be risky... Im pretty sure they take pictures of your truck and it wouldnt be hard for them to figure it out if they wanted to. That would be big trouble.

Im actually planning on going down to pick up a used canopy from another member and thought about not declaring it. But if they did figure it out somehow, it would not be worth the duty or tax i would have to pay.

What would you guys do?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #25
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoTaco View Post
Not everybody lives on the border
Old 08-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #26
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Not everybody lives on the border
If you did? What would you do?

My boss goes down there all the time and he declares almost everything. If its something small, he usually throws it under the seat and declares the larger items.

But my friend once forgot he bought something and they randomly search the car and found something that he didnt have a receipt for. They stripped the car while he waited for hours. Now im sure he has a warning from the search
Old 08-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #27

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr97tacoma View Post

My boss goes down there all the time and he declares almost everything. If its something small, he usually throws it under the seat and declares the larger items.

But my friend once forgot he bought something and they randomly search the car and found something that he didnt have a receipt for. They stripped the car while he waited for hours. Now im sure he has a warning from the search
Depends how long I was gone for

It would cost me about $300 just to get my truck to the border , so it's actually cheaper for me to pay $40 more per tire here
Old 08-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #28
Drunk Canadian

Quote:
Depends how long I was gone for

It would cost me about $300 just to get my truck to the border , so it's actually cheaper for me to pay $40 more per tire here
But lets say you lived closer and did get some tires or a canopy mounted across the border. Would you declare it?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #29

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
But lets say you lived closer and did get some tires or a canopy mounted across the border. Would you declare it?
Yes
Old 08-28-2012, 11:23 PM   #30
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Borders an hour away for me, but it's still cheaper to just buy locally plus the added hassle of dealing with the border
Old 08-28-2012, 11:23 PM   #31
Drunk Canadian

Thats what i thought. Its not worth it.

Anybody know what they may require for bringing back a used canopy from another member?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:25 PM   #32

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats what i thought. Its not worth it.

Anybody know what they may require for bringing back a used canopy from another member?
Used canopy is probably no big deal , get an invoice from him , understate the value a bit .
Old 08-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #33

Quote:
Used canopy is probably no big deal , get an invoice from him , understate the value a bit .
Make sure he is on the same page as you about the price I know a guy who bought a used snowmobile under invoiced border called the seller and the seller ratted him out
Old 08-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #34
GO JETS GO
LMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
LMR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
^^This^^
You would only pay the taxes and duty (if NOT made in USA) which wouldnt be that much. Its the bullsh*t brokerage fees which are expensive but you only pay those if you use UPS, Fed Ex, etc.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #35
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I dunno about that. I mean if your already going and have a place to stay or camp, sure. But gas plus hotel and food would be more than the $200 duty...
of course. I pick stuff up when I am going anyway. So hotel food and lodging are going to cost me either way. If I am saving in the Hundreds on the product, to me it is worth it.
Quote:

The border can be very unforgiving. Especially if you are some young dude who is passing his youth having a good time in Nelson (no offense to you if this applies, you are doin it right IMO). Nelson has a reputation, for better, for worse.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #36
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4banger09 View Post
Make sure he is on the same page as you about the price I know a guy who bought a used snowmobile under invoiced border called the seller and the seller ratted him out
I have not had this problem. I find sellers are nearly always willing to write up a sale invoice to undervalue items. I always talk to them upfront. Usually they are more than happy to get a sale(not to mention, repeat customers)
Old 08-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #37
Drunk Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Taco View Post
The border can be very unforgiving. Especially if you are some young dude who is passing his youth having a good time in Nelson (no offense to you if this applies, you are doin it right IMO). Nelson has a reputation, for better, for worse.
So you've been here? Hahaha
Old 08-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #38
Bush Pusher

Quote:
So you've been here? Hahaha
Haha, yep. Lived there full-time for 4 years('96-2000). I had a season pass to Whitewater 6 seasons running from '96 on... love that place more than I could ever express. I have yet to see the hill since they put they new lift up the backside.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #39
Drunk Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Taco View Post
Haha, yep. Lived there full-time for 4 years('96-2000). I had a season pass to Whitewater 6 seasons running from '96 on... love that place more than I could ever express. I have yet to see the hill since they put they new lift up the backside.
Nothing too special.. Now backside isnt as good anymore
Old 08-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #40
Bush Pusher

Quote:
Nothing too special.. Now backside isnt as good anymore
I was pretty bummed when I heard they were gonna develop it. They should put the lift in 6 mile instead. The backsides were legendary. ..