Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

winter tires or not

Old 09-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #21
RyanK1 is just really niceRyanK1 is just really niceRyanK1 is just really niceRyanK1 is just really niceRyanK1 is just really nice

Name: Ryan
RyanK1's Tacoma Gallery
I'm from the BC interior and this is my families daily driver so I most definetly run a dedicated winter tire. 265/70/17 Arctic claws with ~ 150lbs of winter weight.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #22
Gots a Taco!
Series1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really nice
Series1000's Tacoma Gallery
I run LT235/85R16 bfg ko ats that have the snowflake. Its almost boring in the snow now, and I look for snow- and try and get stuck. if the rubber can touch the road then I have no worries about getting out.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #23
Amo cat is on a distinguished road
Amo cat's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for all the replies...i think i am going to put them on the stock rim and come spring get some aftermarket wheels and some new at's...
Old 11-19-2012, 05:23 AM   #24
Pro skier
skiomax is on a distinguished road

Canadian Army:
skiomax's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't drive without winters on my truck I drive in pretty harsh conditions all winter, I just got Yokohame Geolandar I-T G072, and run my A/T in the summer. if your driving in lots of snow and ice and in winters of -30 the A/T compound becomes to hard and just won't grip to the ice and snow.

anyway it really depend where you live. and when you drive your truck.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #25
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
We live in NE Tennessee, a "southern" state, but in the four years we have been living up here on the mountain, three winters were long, with ice and snow for months. They plow the nearest paved road, but the last 1/2 mile is steep, and the snow, even with a snowblower, compacts to slick ice that can last weeks or months. I have a set of studded snow tires for the Taco, while the wife has blizzaks for the wrangler. We need snow tires AND four wheel drive to deal with the ice.

On the other hand, we normally put them on in mid November, and off by end of February.

Howard
Old 11-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #26
sheamus is on a distinguished road
sheamus's Tacoma Gallery
Two that that have already been said in this thread:
1. Two sets of tires should last twice as long as one set. So it isn't costing more.
2. Winter tires on icy roads, and snow will eat even a m/s all season for lunch. Every year I put winters on, I am amazed.

I have had excellent luck with Hankooks, and Nordics both of which are pretty reasonable. Have had some Saxon's (used no idea where these are from), and some wal-mart brands. Neither of them were that great. My Mazda B2200 has Hankook's with studs (extra $5 for studs), and it is like having a 4x4. Most people can't park in the back all in winter here becase of snow build up. I park there all winter long.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #27
Ltens is on a distinguished road
Ltens's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed a set of Toyo GSI 5 265/65 17 on my 07 double cab. And let me tell you after a month of snow and ice they are an absolute compliment to the Tacoma! Not only in the city but plowing thru the frozen hinterlands of northern Saskatchewan. Getting down snow blown roads to my deer stands is a breeze! Hardly even need 4x4 anymore. And there is plenty of snow to contend with already with an early winter. Cant wait for ice fishing so i can drive it on frozen lakes.
I FIRMLY BELIEVE that in most Canadian regions they should be mandatory.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #28
AcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the rough
Name: Vince
AcadianTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I run winter tires on Tundra steelies, same center bore and about 4.5" BS . Bought the rims on Kijiji for $130.00.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #29
BackCountry is on a distinguished road

BackCountry's Tacoma Gallery
I've been having the same debate with myself. I would really only need them for a handful of times, but they sure would be helpful then... This is my first 4x4 and for that matter I haven't been in a truck for a long time. I was wondering if the all seasons combined with 4 wheel drive and some weight in the back would help me get a little further. I'll likely wait till we get some snow and hit the big hill and see what happens...
Old 11-29-2012, 03:26 AM   #30
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackCountry View Post
I've been having the same debate with myself. I would really only need them for a handful of times, but they sure would be helpful then... This is my first 4x4 and for that matter I haven't been in a truck for a long time. I was wondering if the all seasons combined with 4 wheel drive and some weight in the back would help me get a little further. I'll likely wait till we get some snow and hit the big hill and see what happens...
I thought I could get by with Cooper Discover ST with 200# of weight in my 2wd dodge 1/2 ton, and that failed, then I tried studded snows on all four wheels, and that failed and finally went to a 4x4 taco with studded snows. Trail and error...
Old 11-29-2012, 04:30 AM   #31
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Winter tires of the Blizzak-style will help you out with ice and hard-packed snow. The pores in the tire compound and extra siping allows the water created by the tires going over ice and hard pack out from under the tire much faster than all-season tires. This allows for better contact with the ground.
Drive in icy conditions enough? Get them!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:03 AM   #32
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettb View Post
X2: Snow tires WITH the "snowflake" symbol will absolutely destroy any AT tire on snow.
This X2^ real snow tires. On in Dec. off in Apr.(can't stand the noise) Firestone Winter Force on the truck and the wife's Scion.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:49 AM   #33
Pro skier
skiomax is on a distinguished road

Canadian Army:
skiomax's Tacoma Gallery
you can't beat snow tires on ice and snow... AT will work ok up to a certain temperture, when it gets to -20c and lower you will pray you had proper winter tires, I just got mine on my 2013 Tacoma and its night and day! no need to put extra weight in your bed, just run with it all winter.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #34
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
This X2^ real snow tires. On in Dec. off in Apr.(can't stand the noise) Firestone Winter Force on the truck and the wife's Scion.
I got the winterforce UV with studs in the 245/70R17 spec for $96 with shipping...and they are on their third season. Perhaps I can kill them this winter
Old 11-30-2012, 02:51 AM   #35
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheamus View Post
Have had some Saxon's (used no idea where these are from)...
Found on Google.

Frank
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

Saxon Snowblazers seem to be a private brand of tire sold in Canada principaly by La Cie Canada Tire Inc.

They are manufactured in the US by , Eldorado Tire was established in Michigan in 1966 by Kelly Calamari, as a member-owned private brand tire company.

In 1970, The Cooper Tire and Rubber Company became the exclusive manufacturer of Eldorado Tires and in 1995 Treadways Corporation became the owner of the company.

Now headquartered near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, they sell their tires to over 90 distributors to hundreds of dealers all over North America.