Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

winter tires or not

Old 09-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #1
Amo cat is on a distinguished road
Amo cat's Tacoma Gallery
winter tires or not

I bought an 05 dclb sport 4x4 and it came with a set of winter tires...do you guys generally have winters or stick with one tire year round?

thnks
Old 09-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Amo cat's Tacoma Gallery
34 look-sees and no response...this is easy dudes and dudettes...do you use winter tires or are at/mt tires good for year round use...

throw me a bone here...
Old 09-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
Tenax is on a distinguished road

Name: Terry
Tenax's Tacoma Gallery
Well, it might depend on where you are in Canada I'm in southern Alberta, occasionally heavy snow fall. I've never run winters on a vehicle cause I'm too cheap. That being said, I will try 250 lb of sand in back this winter and I think I'll be ok with my nit to Terra's. I'd call them a mild offroad tire.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
mccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mccarroll's Tacoma Gallery
I put on a studded winter tires in october and remove them in april. We have mild(-15 to -5) winters with plenty of snow, sleet, freezing rain, all that gross stuff. My thinking is that #1 it is safer, and #2 two sets of tires will last twice as long as one set of tires.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
neverstuck has much to be proud ofneverstuck has much to be proud ofneverstuck has much to be proud ofneverstuck has much to be proud ofneverstuck has much to be proud ofneverstuck has much to be proud ofneverstuck has much to be proud ofneverstuck has much to be proud ofneverstuck has much to be proud ofneverstuck has much to be proud of
Name: Matt
neverstuck's Tacoma Gallery
Winter tires?

Where do you live?

I'm in coastal BC and do a lot of roadies. I have a set of dedicated winters on rims. After the initial purchase of used rims, they don't really cost more to have because your all seasons will last you longer.

If you can afford a few hundred bucks to make your truck more capable and improve your family's safety, then why not?
Old 09-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
Amo cat's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in ontario near ottawa...and i have the winters but need a set of winter rims for em...my summers will be done after this year so my thought was potentially to buy one set to do it all...but the winters are pretty fresh.

i guess i will look into buying some steelies or cheap alloys for the winter

thanks
Old 09-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Heard the Goodyear Duratracs kick ass in the snow...so I'd rock those year round
Old 09-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
Official Flatlander
Gieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gieser's Tacoma Gallery
as long as you have a good set of AT tires ( i had cooper discoverer at) you should be fine. Extra wieght in the back is helpfull. that's all ive ever used. Oh and 4x4 sure helps too.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I run my Hankook ATm's all year , I used to run the Hankook MT's all year
Old 09-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
BRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
BRUIN8124's Tacoma Gallery
If you have them, why not? I am in Maine. Not quite Canada but close. I have never used snow/winter tires and I do just fine.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
I use the crappy stock wheels with studded snow tires during the winter and I have MotoMetal wheels and BFG AT KO's for the summer. With studded snow tires, it's like driving a tank in the snow and ice.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #12
Ka like a wheel
F75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
F75gunslinger's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say use up the all seasons,slap the snows on the stock wheels and in the spring get a set of aftermarket wheels you like and a set of AT tires. Snows are an amazing improvement in the winter over all season tires.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #13
bellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to behold

Army:
bellero's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
Heard the Goodyear Duratracs kick ass in the snow...so I'd rock those year round
I heard the same and they'll probably be my next tires.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
I personally just bought duratracs for the winter. Having absolutely terrible tires last winter, I'm NOT going through that again. Duratracs supposably are great in mud too and so long as tires can do great in snow, im happy. Can't stand doing worse in the snow then almost every vehicle on it...
Old 09-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #15
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by F75gunslinger View Post
I'd say use up the all seasons,slap the snows on the stock wheels and in the spring get a set of aftermarket wheels you like and a set of AT tires. Snows are an amazing improvement in the winter over all season tires.
X2: Snow tires WITH the "snowflake" symbol will absolutely destroy any AT tire on snow.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #16
MTL Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdMTL Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdMTL Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdMTL Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdMTL Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdMTL Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdMTL Tacoma is a splendid one to behold

MTL Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I live in Montreal (Que), where for the last couple of years it is mandatory to have 4 winter tires on from Dec 15 to April 15. Before this provincial law was passed I always ran winters. We get some pretty big snow storms and I wouldn't feel comfortable running 4 seasons even with a 4X4.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #18
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I've run my Mickey MTZ's for 2 years now all through winter. Never had any problems except once with black ice, a dark highway and oncoming traffic. Know your vehicle, know the terrain and don't be a cock farter.

That said, I'm thinking of switching to a set of studded Firestone MTs this winter. Unfortunately that will mean I can't sling my truck around corners anymore which is half the fun of winter driving.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #19
Royden is on a distinguished road
Royden's Tacoma Gallery
like others ... it depends on your local/driving habits.

I have done both and prefer studs if they are available and on wheels.

Pros - traction!!!!! Almost like driving dry roads when there is weight in the back and studded - almost.

cons - cost of changing rims if not mounted on their own set of wheels
- decreased mileage (never seen a set of studs that didn't hurt my mileage a little ...
- they wear faster than highway slicks - goes with the territory.

My .02 ... you have them - use them! Then decide if you need to buy a set when these are wore out.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #20
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I would have figured your mileage would have stayed the same or got better since you're not wasting gas spinning tires for traction.

I'm used to winters on the Ambulance but that thing is so goddamn heavy if I didn't have traction I'm definitely up shit creek.