Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

Remembrance Day

Old 11-11-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Remembrance Day

If you have the chance, and the ability to do so, go to your local war memorial or cenotaph. Show a little respect and dress in your "Sunday best", and don't forget to wear a poppy. This is a date for "remembrance for the men and women who have served, and continue to serve our country during times of war, conflict and peace".

Frank
Old 11-11-2012, 04:27 AM   #3
WoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Warrant Officer
Name: Peter
WoadWunner's Tacoma Gallery
I will be at Cole Harbour Place Frank
Old 11-11-2012, 04:28 AM   #4
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Will do. Thanks
Old 11-11-2012, 04:30 AM   #5
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoadWunner View Post
I will be at Cole Harbour Place Frank
I'll be at RA (Royal Artillery) Park. From there the Army, Navy, Air Force Club... and off to parts unknown.

Frank
Old 11-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
From last year's thread :

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I thought I would share this .

My great grandfather was a WW1 veteran , his name was Fred Dawson , I only remember him in my very earliest childhood memories . He fought in France in WW1 and was in many battles , he was wounded and lay in no mans land for 5 days and nights before being found by some troops of the Canadian Scottish Regiment .

As the years progress , we've lost the connection to the people that lived through the horrors of WW1 , and are losing those from WW2 .

According to my mom , Fred never talked much about the war , but my Great Aunt pressed him when she was writing some family history and this is a letter he sent her .

When Rememberence Day comes around each year , I read this letter , and I feel it helps me to not lose sight of why it is important to show my respect at this time of year , and throughout the rest of it .

Lest We Forget

“You seem to be worrying about our most famous regiment, the fighting seventh 1st. B.C. regiment, 2nd. brigade, 1st. Canadian division.

We worked in conjunction with the guards, Irish Fusiliers and Norwicks and Canadians. General Plumber was the army commander and General Alderson was our company commander. We worked with the Gurkas of India for a short time but they were too restless and also lousy and they were sent to another front.

No other regiment in the whole Canadian army came any where near the casualties the 7th. had, our colonel volunteered for anything he thought would bring him some honours. Our battalion had more honours than any other regiment. Casualties, officers and men killed: 1435, wounded and poison gas: 3294, prisoners of war: 134, total dead: 4863, death due to natural causes not included. Total honours and decorations bestowed to the battalion: 431 including 3 Victoria Crosses.

I hope the description is clear. I was in the Battle of Gevincy, Festerbert, Ypres and got finished along with my whole company in a sacrifice charge, 8 a.m., bright sun in our faces, June 3, 1916, the King’s birthday. I was in charge of two junior officers with a major they caught at the transport lines who was court marshaled.

Out of the 1 1/2 company of men, 7 of us lived. Your mother was notified I was killed in action, also the paper had the news but on the 5th. day they found me in no man’s land.

I hope this will satisfy your curiosity. Our regiment fought in many bloody battles from the Marne to Vimy. We have many battle honours and our flag is flying in Christ Church in Vancouver.

During my 14 months tour I had ten company officers, some killed and some wounded and one or two we booted out of the trenches and they were sent back to Canada.

Those days we had nothing: no planes, no artillery to speak of or machine guns. The Huns had been collecting it for years and how that British army held on nobody knows.

What a country, getting under ground, digging mine pits, what a life. We could never get up to strength. My company, 250 strong, was never up to 100 including cooks and batmen. We had about 90 counter charging.

Oh, what a horrible life.”

Old 11-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery

I find that the Canadians are very respectful of the pastand honour their accomplishments much better than Americans. Tis a good thing.
When in Toronto this past summer we visited a museum that had a great display featuring the uniforms worn in all the wars right up to the current uniform in Afghanistan. I enjoyed my time there.

I am off to our local Veterans Day celebration in about anhour.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
bellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to behold

Army:
bellero's Tacoma Gallery
We just finished the Rememberance Day parade here in Kingston, Ontario. One thing that struck me is that for the first time in my 17 years career, I didn't see a single WWII veteran anywhere around. I guess time fly!

Lest we forget
Old 10-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #11
WoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Warrant Officer
Name: Peter
WoadWunner's Tacoma Gallery
I will be on parade at the Bridgetown Legion as the Flt WO
Old 10-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #12
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
As I've said numerous times and I will again. While I may not always agree with the missions our military is tasked to, I have nothing but the utmost respect for those in uniform who are tasked to do it.

- From a Civilian Uniformed member.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
“The first world war came and its cost was laid on the people.
The second world war — the third — what will be the cost.
And will it repay the people for what they pay?...
The little girl saw her first troop parade and asked,
‘What are those?’
‘Soldiers.’
‘What are soldiers?’
‘They are for war. They fight and each tries to kill as many of the other side as he can.’
The girl held still and studied.
‘Do you know ... I know something?’
‘Yes, what is it you know?’
‘Sometime they’ll give a war and nobody will come.’
Old 11-11-2013, 07:08 AM   #17
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Take some time today to show your respect
Old 11-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch, be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #19
Toy Truck Fan
Hungry is on a distinguished road
Canadian Army: R Westmr R, 1PPCLI, LER
Name: Barney
Hungry's Tacoma Gallery
I was the presenter at my own high school and I even invited a former graduate of ours who happens to be in an SF unit right now. Truly inspiring to have your own students in uniform. It's an honor!

Cheers!

Barney