1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Costco winter gas - poor mpg?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BackCountry, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Jan 7, 2013 at 10:17 PM
    BackCountry

BackCountry [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD
    Hey Folks,

I haven't given much thought to gas quality and I'm still getting to know this truck, however lately I have been giving a lot of thought to gas mileage.

I'm not much of a number cruncher and I haven't been very diligent with tracking my KM's to Litres. However I know that I usually get around 425ish KM on a tank, and that's with about 12 litres left.

Lately I've been filling at Costco because it's close and usually about 5 cents cheaper. After my most recent fill, I noticed my MPG was suddenly very poor and I had to re-fill before 350km. On suspicious of gas, I filled at Shell and I'm now on track for one of my best ever mpg/tanks.

Highly anecdotal at best. But a little googling seems to suggest that Costco gas especially the winter formula has lots of ethanol and can be a cause of poor gas mileage.

I'm assuming Costco must have recently switched over to a winter formula? Anyone else notice a sudden big difference in their gas?

I did recently have a o2 sensor replaced, but the extreme drop was a few fills after.

2. Jan 7, 2013 at 10:19 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I usually get 425 kms when the light comes on , but I haven't used the Costco gas , but my best mileage has always been with the Shell 91

3. Jan 7, 2013 at 10:33 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Costco and Sam's/Walmart are going to run a higher ethanol content since it's a cheap octane booster.

I've had Costco summer gas "turn" in 3 months stored in jugs for my dirtbike.
    Dad used to have a 5 gallon jug for the mower that he'd refill maybe once every 2 years back in the 70s.
    Back to my dirtbikes, Chevron holds for 6 months without problems.

4. Jan 7, 2013 at 10:40 PM
    cdthiker

cdthiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    WAY north Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma RC 4X4 5speed
    gotta love that winter blend....
    I have had this problem with my 2010 Subaru... the 12taco seems to be less picky....

5. Jan 7, 2013 at 10:46 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I get gas at the same places all year long...... WaWa and Turkey Hill.

Winter gas blends are different than summer gas blends.
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-consumption/summer-fuel1.htm

My truck will lose 2mpg every winter....no matter what gas I use. I will run 17-18mpg in the summer and 15-17 in the winter. And no...it does not have anything to do with 'warming' the truck up.

For some reason, I think Toyota's (our trucks - or atleast mine) gets worse mileage in winter. My husbands Acura isn't affected by the gas. ????

6. Jan 8, 2013 at 7:25 AM
    vicali

vicali Touch my camera through the fence

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
  7. Jan 8, 2013 at 7:40 AM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    I hate Costco gas. I would fill up there occasionally but a couple of years ago I filled up about 2/3 of a tank right before a trip to Yellowstone and haven't been back since. About 40 miles into the trip my engine developed a knock and was idling really rough, scared the crap out of me. My usual Yellowstone route takes almost a full tank of gas and I would usually just have my town in sight when my low fuel light went on. Well this trip it came on 40 miles early. I ran around the next day trying to burn off as much of the gas as I safely could and then went to an ethanol free station and filled up with premium. Truck started to run like normal almost instantly and that was the last time I bought gas from Costco. And that was with regular, summer blend!

That being said all winter blend gas sucks and I see about a 10 to 15% drop in gas mileage every winter.

8. Feb 14, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    Dave Russell

Dave Russell Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    I'm not up on winter/summer gas but I keep track of my mileage and when I switch over to winter tires it goes from 23-24 down to 19-20 MPG. My winter rubber is Toyo Open Country MTs 245/75/16. Summer I run Yokohama Parada 265/50/20's. I always buy gas at the same co-op. My Taco is a 07 extra cab 4x4 V6 6 sp. I run the tires at the same pressure winter/summer so I'm guessing the difference may be the rubber compound and the tread design. This pattern has repeated for 3 years now and the change happens with the first fill up after the tire swap. That's my 2 bits worth.

9. Feb 15, 2013 at 1:17 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    My truck is an 07 and is totally stock.....and I've had it since new.

Every year / winter ...doesn't matter where I get my gas or what tires I've been running (on my 2nd set of tires)....the mileage always drops 2-3mpg with the winter gas. Doesn't matter what octane I use or what tire pressure I run...... I'm accepted it 'as normal' for this truck. And believe me, I don't understand it either. I've never had a vehicle that was affected by gas like this one has.

Products Discussed in

To Top